Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Cop Radars

Police are phasing out radars in cars to fully replace with laser, which is essentially instant on and if they get you you're stuffed and a detector isn't able to save you (aside from warning you not to speed up MORE I guess...). Camera vans have switched to 'digital k band' which uses a narrower beam and is harder for radar detectors to pick up, so whilst still useful for these purposes you're looking at having to get a top end model to make it worth it. Somewhere above $600 if buying new

i have a crafty way to beat the po-po.

It always works and the old 5-0 dont know what hit them.

I dont speed.

Seriously i have a detector and its mainly useful for picking up those lazy cops who drive with their radars constantly on, or picking up signal from someone getting pinged a few kms down the road!

Many years ago when I was a teenager I had a beltronics

It saved me from many vans, but the only thing it really did with cop cars is save you about 10kph. If you're going over 120 and it goes off, chances are they've got you before you can react.

These days I just don't speed, that works even better

Only if the vans are using the new digital cameras.

Film camera vans use Ka band.

The new digital cameras use a variation of K band (24.085GHz instead of the normal 24.150GHz), coupled with low output make them hard but not impossible to detect.

• 3 weeks later...
 MercuryFree said:

Camera vans are on K band, remaining police radars are using Ka band. But as already mentioned, police radar being phased out and they're sticking to their lasers.

Noticed this last weekend, every cop I picked up were using laser, first time I've ever picked laser up (usually only find KA)

Ryan']

[quote name='MercuryFree said:

Camera vans are on K band, remaining police radars are using Ka band. But as already mentioned, police radar being phased out and they're sticking to their lasers.

/quote]

Noticed this last weekend, every cop I picked up were using laser, first time I've ever picked laser up (usually only find KA)

do u mean staitonary laser gun or inbuilt mobile laser units?

Blinder units have had some success against laser but expensive and you'll still have to react quickly before the laser gets 'punch thru'. In saying that though some blinders apparently 'jammed to gun'.........which just means they were effective against the laser from the time it locked on to them to more or less point blank range

have a read on the net interesting stuff................and I've always found Radar Direct to be really helpful too

Plenty of independent testing reviews on the net...........do some good research b4 forking out ur $$

wildturkey']

/quote]

Stationary. The handheld lidar gun technology they're using won't work if the policeman isn't standing still ie. must not be driving. It is however as a result instant (3/10ths of a second) thus if they get a good reading on you you're pretty much screwed.

MercuryFree']

/quote]

Stationary. The handheld lidar gun technology they're using won't work if the policeman isn't standing still ie. must not be driving. It is however as a result instant (3/10ths of a second) thus if they get a good reading on you you're pretty much screwed.

yeah I didn't think they were using mobile laser for exactly that reason..........yeah radar guns been around for a while now.

wildturkey']

/quote]

Blinder units have had some success against laser but expensive and you'll still have to react quickly before the laser gets 'punch thru'. In saying that though some blinders apparently 'jammed to gun'.........which just means they were effective against the laser from the time it locked on to them to more or less point blank range

have a read on the net interesting stuff................and I've always found Radar Direct to be really helpful too

Plenty of independent testing reviews on the net...........do some good research b4 forking out ur $$

Yea they work great in A LAB/Experiments (that they use to illustrate the "effectiveness) but in real life they are a waste of money.

From memory to jam a laser you have to shine an opposing laser of the exact same frequency constantly (and exactly into its centre) into the other beam for it to work...

Some others on here had some knowledge on that

subieboy said:

Yea they work great in A LAB/Experiments (that they use to illustrate the "effectiveness) but in real life they are a waste of money.

From memory to jam a laser you have to shine an opposing laser of the exact same frequency constantly (and exactly into its centre) into the other beam for it to work...

So I understand that laser jammers are illegal in NZ. However, if I had one, I would state that it actually goes around the license plate ( i.e Blinder M45 ), as this is where cops aim it for the best reflection, and it prevents this laser from having a direct line back ( induces noise, which is weird for light, but still . . ). It can be tested by using a camera phone and a normal infrared remote control when in test mode. Supposedly.

caspros']

[quote name='subieboy said:

/quote]

So I understand that laser jammers are illegal in NZ. However, if I had one, I would state that it actually goes around the license plate ( i.e Blinder M45 ), as this is where cops aim it for the best reflection, and it prevents this laser from having a direct line back ( induces noise, which is weird for light, but still . . ). It can be tested by using a camera phone and a normal infrared remote control when in test mode. Supposedly.

They're not technically illegal as they're so rare nobody has bothered to illegalise them.

Radar jammers are, though