Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Recommended Upgrades Turbo

I am wanting to upgrade my turbo on my v2 sti. has a link g4 aftermarket fuel pump etc

wondering what a good upgrade from a td04 is without hurting the wallet too much & if a fmic is recommended or stay top mount

Cheers

funkytown']

[quote name='wrx_lou said:

Second hand vf22. Straight bolt up and not that pricey.

Alternative give Funky a pm, he has a worked vf24 at a reasonable price.

/quote]

nein.. 23 sir.

my bad.

Free plug though, so dont bloody whinge :P

wrx_lou']

[quote name='wrx_lou said:

Second hand vf22. Straight bolt up and not that pricey.

Alternative give Funky a pm, he has a worked vf24 at a reasonable price.

/quote]

nein.. 23 sir.

my bad.

Free plug though, so dont bloody whinge :P

thankyousir... have contacted the OP

Recommend you set your goals first bro. How much power are you looking for? What other mods have you done or plan to do?

V2 STi motors came with TD05H out of Japan. Much more kick than the TD04, and I've seen 230kw ATW on that set up (with all the other supporting mods of course). Should bolt straight on and they're pretty bulletproof - and pretty cheap to pick up. Are you still running on the V2 grey injectors though because if so, they may have to go as well. You may be looking at another tune as well for the G4, but you will need to ask a pro on that one!

The angled V2 top mount is why you'll see that most of the old school STi's have front mounts, although it's a matter of choice. The flow ain't great on those top mounts but again, it comes down to your goals.

I would be looking for around 200 to 240kw. other mods include Link g4. walbro 500 fuel pump. aftermarket full alloy radiator. and plan to do full exhaust, bigger injectors and bigger turbo & possibly fmic.

im told mine only made 150kW on the dyno at 12psi due to the turbo intercooler and exhaust system not being very good. so yeah, what do you reckon total cost of that would end up being.

prosanders said:

I would be looking for around 200 to 240kw. other mods include Link g4. walbro 500 fuel pump. aftermarket full alloy radiator. and plan to do full exhaust, bigger injectors and bigger turbo & possibly fmic.

im told mine only made 150kW on the dyno at 12psi due to the turbo intercooler and exhaust system not being very good. so yeah, what do you reckon total cost of that would end up being.

approx values only

Yellow injectors $150-200

Turbo back exhaust $800+

Bigger turbo $300+ depending on what and new or secondhand

FMIC $600+

Tune $300+ depending on whose doing it.

Those prices about right

excpet fmic kits can be had for around $400 then if you fit it nothing else but if you pay someone expect some large $$$ bill..

Tune will be more than $300 id say more like $500 by the time you get dyno hire/time etc

nt_a_foz said:

Those prices about right

excpet fmic kits can be had for around $400 then if you fit it nothing else but if you pay someone expect some large $$$ bill..

Tune will be more than $300 id say more like $500 by the time you get dyno hire/time etc

Daves qouted me $300 for a road tune. But that might of been out of pity lol But yeah If you want it on a dyno expect to pay more.

I can definitely attest from both that you will notice a very significant difference, the td05 has alot of flexibility in it. ;) Especailly with supporting mods you can get good numbers out of it.

TD05 For the win, This is what i'm currently using in my car 90 RS..

The turbo is one of the largest (in fact maybe the largest Subaru factory turbo) and is fully rebuild able. However the down side is it doesn't spool as fast. I normally see full boost 3300RPM and will hold the 14PSI all the way to red-line. Everyone car's / engines will be different and they are very well priced

Bang for buck a TD05 wins, then if you add a G4 you'll be sorted. Viv ran in his rally car a V4 STI motor with td05 and made 215kw's

Hes running Link G4 boost control so thats no issue.

If you pop in to the shop we can show you a few sheets from people such as vivs car etc as a comparision.

I know vivs car was limited by ingnition break down. We did Jos with an old possum link and got 220kw or so outa his TD05 on about 16psi from memory.

For a street car I would go VF over TD just for the responce. Though a TD turbo seems to make more power on less boost.

I can supply you a front mount kit thats pretty resonably priced if your interested.

440s Will be maxed around 220-230kw

The part that was nasty about your exhuast from memory was how it has the small section just at the bottom of the dump pipe, Though you do want atleast 2.5" from the turbo back.

We can do Exhuasts as well, either custom Fabricate or supply one.

Just remember as soon as you change anything it can throw the tune out, particually injectors, turbo and a free flowing exhuast.

If you are un-sure about anything feel free to give us a call as were happy to help.

Also can you PM me your number plate and your Email and I will send you your Dyno Sheet.

GETLOW said:

Hes running Link G4 boost control so thats no issue.

If you pop in to the shop we can show you a few sheets from people such as vivs car etc as a comparision.

I know vivs car was limited by ingnition break down. We did Jos with an old possum link and got 220kw or so outa his TD05 on about 16psi from memory.

For a street car I would go VF over TD just for the responce. Though a TD turbo seems to make more power on less boost.

I can supply you a front mount kit thats pretty resonably priced if your interested.

440s Will be maxed around 220-230kw

The part that was nasty about your exhuast from memory was how it has the small section just at the bottom of the dump pipe, Though you do want atleast 2.5" from the turbo back.

We can do Exhuasts as well, either custom Fabricate or supply one.

Just remember as soon as you change anything it can throw the tune out, particually injectors, turbo and a free flowing exhuast.

If you are un-sure about anything feel free to give us a call as were happy to help.

Also can you PM me your number plate and your Email and I will send you your Dyno Sheet.

Joe's was a worked TD05 "big" 16g.

No, there's no such thing as ball bearing Mitsubishi turbos. They're all journal bearing.

A popular turbo in the US is what's known as a TD05 EVO III 16g. It's a fast spooling high flowing TD05-16g which apparently outflows a VF34 with the same spool characteristics. There are a few 2nd hand ones on NASIOC at the moment, they're bolt on and generally water + oil cooled. Best ones are made by Blouch and Forced Performance.