Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BF5 GT coolant bottle bubbling over

ben-jamminn

Finally got my BF5 going after replacing the flexi plate, started it up and went for a drive and when I stopped i could hear gurgling under the bonnet, the coolant bottle by the battery was bubbling out with water. (temp gauge reads normal though) It's the first time I've driven the car as I bought it not going. Anyway my initial thoughts where thermostat so i replaced that, still doing it though...

Any ideas?

Guest boostcut

if its bubbling in the radiator its either, headgaskets.. pushing the water out into the bottle or maybe a damaged radiator cap... leaking but if the bottle is boiling, id sell it now

I had this same problem in one of my BF5s It would be sweet for 10 mins then would start hissing and bubble outa the overflow like yours is doing.. but only thing different is mine read very hot on gauge.. was defiantly the head gasket in my case, Yeah I say flick it thats what i done =p

subaru-mania said:

I had this same problem in one of my BF5s It would be sweet for 10 mins then would start hissing and bubble outa the overflow like yours is doing.. but only thing different is mine read very hot on gauge.. was defiantly the head gasket in my case, Yeah I say flick it thats what i done =p

LOL did you jut buy subaru-mania's one?

Scoobydoo']

[quote name='subaru-mania said:

/quote]

hurr did you jut buy subaru-mania's one?

haha.. Mine also had bad Beb knock.. But apart from that was a mint GT Heaps of people brought the 1 I had.. i parted it on here awhile ago.

Lulz my BF5 did that on the old motor too... stripped the motor, currently getting it refurbed for a more glorious project thann stock ;D They are no use bubbling away like that.

That said, replacement engines are six hundy-odd...no sweat.

New radiator cap should solve that problem. You probably weren't getting any pressure at all in your cooling system, making the boiling point of your coolant lower, which caused it to bubble over to the overflow.

Does anyone know how to bleed the cooling system? (sorry for the hijack.) Or is it easy as running the car with the cap off....?

agent said:

New radiator cap should solve that problem. You probably weren't getting any pressure at all in your cooling system, making the boiling point of your coolant lower, which caused it to bubble over to the overflow.

Does anyone know how to bleed the cooling system? (sorry for the hijack.) Or is it easy as running the car with the cap off....?

There are a few ways to do it- You can Just drain the radiator and slowly refill it - Or put car up on ramps so the car is raised slightly and fill up per normal..

• 4 months later...
Guest boostcut

i made a radiator cap with 1m of clear tube connected to a spigot i braised on. works well as it keeps a "head" on top of the cooling system

I went even cheaper and found a bit of hose that fitted tightly into the radiator cap hole. Then jammed a powerade bottle on the other end of it (about a foot long bit of hose) and used that as the funnel/reservoir. Seems to do the trick and only takes a knife to cut the ass out of the plastic bottle.