Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

version 7

Hey All,

I'm currently looking to buy a version 7 sti.

Can someone please tell me, what things i should watch out for when buying. Regular problems etc. Also a good mechanic in Auckland that knows the car. (Please don't suggest the AA ;)).

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the net, this will be my first sti so i'd like to get it right. (previously owned a gtb).

Any help will be great

:D Yay for clubsub,

I also went from the GTB to the WRX. I travelled through every caryard I could travel to within reasonable distance to me, (waikato) and pretty much used common sense as my no1 when comparing vehicles,

1# Spot check the vehicle, check for RUST, especially in the engine bay, check the downpipe for rust, check the turbo for any oil seepage, or anything unusual that might look like it's on it's way out. Check for paint defects, underbody..signs of welding or undisclosed previous damage.

2#Modifications such as manual boost controllers, blow off valves.. Stay away from a 2nd hand wrx with a bov or manual boost controller (MBC) venting bov's can cause *disputable* damage and wear on the engine, this includes Air intakes/Short Rams etc that have not been tuned.

3#Tyres, atleast 75% Tread :D, check that (if from a dealer) they arn't using snow tyres, these are very dangerous for our roads. Ask the dealer to swap these. Check out the suspention by taking it for a test drive over some bumper surfaces, speed bumps, or country. *Not off road* lol, don't got doing any unecessary damage.

4#While test driving *Don't purchase without driving* get out to a long straight, or high way and let er rip.. ;) place her through each gear, and check for any problems.. should be smooth shifting without any clutch slippage. From a stop check the turbo, this should be spoolin up at ~3000RPM, Should be smooth and reaching 1bar/14.7psi in 3rd/4th gear.

6#Use your common sence, too high k's, etc, slugish driving, shoddy suspension.

#Take it to a performance car garage to get it checked out. They usually see these cars often. Get the mechanic to take it for a spin down the road, (go with him/her) Ask them for there feedback what they think,

;D happy driving, V7 is the best, as the are less common for boost leak.

good list, but also get the car on the flat and check the oil level and colour. low and burnt are signs it hasnt been looked after and serviced.. which are the key to keeping a subie alive

Cheers Disruptz,

Awesome list. I think i've got most of the same thoughts as you common sense wise. i'll be looking for a low kms non modified v7 and after reading as many reviews as possible it will definitely be an sti,

Is their a mechanic the Auckland locals on club sub use?

subiv5 said:

Hi, Dean

I've got a V7 Sti for sale, 2002 NZ New, 110,000ks, cambelt done etc

Ill get round to re-introducing myself and uploading some photo's soon.

P.M. me if your keen

Cheers Andrew

Hey Andrew,

Cheers for your reply. I'm looking for something with slightly lower kms, so i'll have to pass on your offer.

Why are you selling, if you don't mind me asking?

Sadistic STi said:

good list, but also get the car on the flat and check the oil level and colour. low and burnt are signs it hasnt been looked after and serviced.. which are the key to keeping a subie alive

Cheers for that. Everyone i've looked at so far has just had a fresh service. which is great however it means it is hard to tell if it's been looked after in Japan, as you say above.

I guess the pre purchase by a decent mechanic that know v7's is going to be the main thing i'll have to rely on.

Sweet no worries, The reason why it has higher k's is because it's NZ New, where as the import ones have low k's but hav'nt been treated as well ( as well as the whole clock being wound back thing ). The NZ new one's also come with trick suretrack diff's front and rear. So yea see if you can track down a low k's NZ new one.

Simon C said:

Don't buy it unless it has a sticker on the back which says "Type RA Spec C" ;D

hahaha yea good call, but not much fun when your sitting in auckland traffic with no aircon and wind up windows :P

Dean: Selling because I need the cash while i am at uni, so planning on getting something cheaper for a while

Simon C said:

Haha if only they had electric windows, Don't always trust the sticker on the back. :D

Guest dpi(II)
 subiv5']

[quote name='Simon C said:

/quote]

hahaha yea good call, but not much fun when your sitting in auckland traffic with no aircon and wind up windows :P

Dean: Selling because I need the cash while i am at uni, so planning on getting something cheaper for a while

Mine has a sticker on the back that says RA Spec C; I have aircon, and winding the windows manualy ain't that much of a problem. The way better performance, power and handling more than makes up for it... :P

Boostn20 said:

Yep try and get a NZ new one as from experience they allot better serviced then the ones that are imported with next to no history.

interestingly, mines a jap import and still has the whole service manual and history in the glovebox :-)

I got aircon in my Spec C too, but it only gets used to demist the windscreen, the rally scoop is all the cooling I need ;) Windup windows are great, another electrical thing that can't go wrong.

Seriously though, I think the V7s are much maligned and unfairly so. They're still a good car, and a great base car if you're going to start piling on the mods. After all, a V8 is basically a V7 with a facelift and twin scroll (but no boxer rumble). Yeah, there are other differences, but those are the only ones you're really going to notice, is it worth so many thousands more?

Guest dpi(II)
 Simon C said:

I got aircon in my Spec C too, but it only gets used to demist the windscreen, the rally scoop is all the cooling I need ;) Windup windows are great, another electrical thing that can't go wrong.

Seriously though, I think the V7s are much maligned and unfairly so. They're still a good car, and a great base car if you're going to start piling on the mods. After all, a V8 is basically a V7 with a facelift and twin scroll (but no boxer rumble). Yeah, there are other differences, but those are the only ones you're really going to notice, is it worth so many thousands more?

Yeah, my aircon is only ever set to demist too (works real fast). And the roof vent is all good in the heat.

As to differences between V7 and V8, there may be a bit more than that.

ECU program, turbo, headers are all different (not necessarily better either), yes the sheet metal is changed (front for the better, rear for the worse), but it's tamed down a wee bit and carrying a few more pounds too.

But, the steering and it's response are better than the V7 due to the V7 Spec C's suspension set up being carried over into the V8 STI's.

dpi(II)']

[quote name='Simon C said:

/quote]

Yeah, my aircon is only ever set to demist too (works real fast). And the roof vent is all good in the heat.

As to differences between V7 and V8, there may be a bit more than that.

ECU program, turbo, headers are all different (not necessarily better either), yes the sheet metal is changed (front for the better, rear for the worse), but it's tamed down a wee bit and carrying a few more pounds too.

But, the steering and it's response are better than the V7 due to the V7 Spec C's suspension set up being carried over into the V8 STI's.

loismustdye']

[quote name='Boostn20 said:

Yep try and get a NZ new one as from experience they allot better serviced then the ones that are imported with next to no history.

/quote]

interestingly, mines a jap import and still has the whole service manual and history in the glovebox :-)

Im not saying all but some of them usually have no history or made up dodgy ones.