Suitable Oils

Swindog

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

im using havolene energy 5w 30 in my 95 sti, with 175000 on it (hasnt been rebuilt or replaced as far as im aware) should i been running sumthing a bit thicker or is what im using be fine?

• Admin

sorry to post potentially a stupid question.

whats the difference between semi-synthetic and full synthetic?

what what should i be running in my car?

i ahve the oppertunity to get hold of some "Super GTO" Semi-synthetic 5W40 pretty cheep.

Guest AlpineBear
 GC8E2DD said:

Fantastic oil site: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

Chapter 3 of Motor Oil 101 starts to talk about synthetics. This site will also help you choose a viscosity, and explain how and why your oil wears. If you want to continue talking about oil until the cows come home, they even have forums dedicated to talking about oil.

Oh joy, there are people who have less of a life than I do, I could think of better wet, slippery & sticky things to talk about... Paint for instance!

AlpineBear']

[quote name='GC8E2DD said:

Fantastic oil site: url]http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/[/url]

Chapter 3 of Motor Oil 101 starts to talk about synthetics. This site will also help you choose a viscosity, and explain how and why your oil wears. If you want to continue talking about oil until the cows come home, they even have forums dedicated to talking about oil.

Oh joy, there are people who have less of a life than I do, I could think of better wet, slippery & sticky things to talk about... Paint for instance!

waterslides and honey

• 3 months later...
 driftrex said:

i have a customer that drives a late model bmw, he swears by doing 30,000kms intervals, everytime we service it we have to pull his cartridge oil filter out in little pieces with long nose pliers cause it disintegrates.

but hey he thinks he knows best lol.

This is not normal, I've mainly only seen aftermarket filters do this. The genuine ones do 70K before this happens.

Not saying I agree with the long service intervals, I think they are to long for NZ conditions but I change oil on BMW's all day everyday and have only ever struck 1 Genuine filter that has come apart. Jap imported E46 328i with 73000Km on the clock. Never had an oil change.

• 3 weeks later...

this is interesting i think im gonna do an oil change... from wat everyones saying im gonna go 5w-40.. my math says 5w= good for the start up with forged pistons and rings and 40= it can get its ass threw the little hole that leads to the gt3082R once oils hot..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, am about to do an oil change on my v4 sti. It's done 160 000k's and is completely standard. Previous owner told me he's been using Penrite 10w60. i normally use castrol magnatec 10w40 or motul 10w40 in most of my previous cars with similar k's. What would you recommend? Stick with the 10w60 or change to something like Castrol magnatec 10w40? Cheers

• 1 month later...
 Navin said:

Hey guys, am about to do an oil change on my v4 sti. It's done 160 000k's and is completely standard. Previous owner told me he's been using Penrite 10w60. i normally use castrol magnatec 10w40 or motul 10w40 in most of my previous cars with similar k's. What would you recommend? Stick with the 10w60 or change to something like Castrol magnatec 10w40? Cheers

Definately the Magnatec over the Penrite! 60w is way too much.

• 2 weeks later...
 Stoffa said:

same, I ran Edge 10w60 in my old engine and the guy who ported my heads was supprised with how little wear I had on my lifter buckets. He said to make sure I keep using the same stuff.

It'll be going into my new engine too.

A VERY simple explaination is...

The first number is how the oil behaves when cold (lower number is thinner so moves through engine better when cold)

The number after the W is how stable the oil at higher temps, most people recommed at least 10w40.

Thats because the cam buckets are very wear resistant, all the wear is in the cams.I've torn down engines with 300,000kms, and the buckets show no sign of wear, but the camshafts are shot.

ohh and I use valvoline dura blend semi 5-30w, I wont use any castrol engine oils after the full synthetic fiasco .

What brand of oil does a subaru dealer supply?

mondo']

[quote name='Stoffa said:

same, I ran Edge 10w60 in my old engine and the guy who ported my heads was supprised with how little wear I had on my lifter buckets. He said to make sure I keep using the same stuff.

It'll be going into my new engine too.

A VERY simple explaination is...

The first number is how the oil behaves when cold (lower number is thinner so moves through engine better when cold)

The number after the W is how stable the oil at higher temps, most people recommed at least 10w40.

/quote]

Thats because the cam buckets are very wear resistant, all the wear is in the cams.I've torn down engines with 300,000kms, and the buckets show no sign of wear, but the camshafts are shot.

ohh and I use valvoline dura blend semi 5-30w, I wont use any castrol engine oils after the full synthetic fiasco .

What brand of oil does a subaru dealer supply?

Normally Castrol Magnatec