• Raised $0.00

Wellington is sooo much cooler than the south island

loud_As

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 4wdftw

hmmm ... the motorway north of wellington centre ( next to the waterfront) is on the major fault line and reclaimed land ( land that was at one time under water )

ya get a big earthquake.. BYE BYE MOTORWAY

Guest keltik

You guys are on the wrong island. If christchurch was moved to somewhere near waiouru (or anywhere north island) it would be the coolest

We have the best mayor in NZ down here (Tim Shadbolt) also have the best wine, best sking, best golf course (The Hills) best fishing and tourisim (Fiordland and Stewart island) as swindog said Oysters and we dont all smell like cabbage and have small hands like the NI :P just to name a few lol ;D

Phht blooming Wellingtonians - getting uppity like their Dorkland cousies

South Island FTW all ya wellie-bellies <----- Cool I made up a word... Combo of Yellow belied and Welli(e)ngton ;D

Ps case you didnot get that I am takin the piss

DVNT said:

We have the best mayor in NZ down here (Tim Shadbolt) also have the best wine, best sking, best golf course (The Hills) best fishing and tourisim (Fiordland and Stewart island) as swindog said Oysters and we dont all smell like cabbage and have small hands like the NI :P just to name a few lol ;D

PPFFTTTTTT I dont think so,and yes i have skiied there here and everywere

NI skiing way awesomer :)

Welly SUCKS you can barely walk anywhere without having to go up or down a stupid hill and the REAL beaches suck and the man-made one is just a flipping waste of money! except the Nelson sand looks great! haha South island has a lot... my work is pretty big and our main corporate office is in Chch and then there's our office in Dunedin. South Island is WAAAYYYY better, we have beautiful mountains, citys, beaches and lakes. It's called the mainland for a reason... North island is referred to as Pig Island.

I was born in Motueka, my wife in Middlemarch, so we are expat South Islanders. We lived in Auckland for seven years after we left Dunedin, and now live in Wellington. Moving to Wellington was a compromise between available work, and being close to our families (and the mighty South Island!). My take on the cities I've lived in:

Auckland: Best cultural diversity in the country (good thing). Most things going on of any city. Entertainment always available. Central City rat race can be very tiring and ultimately soul destroying. Sooo much travelling to get anywhere. West, South, and East Auckland are all great. North Shore is what gives Auckland it's stereotype*. Muggy!

Wellington: Home to the best local music of the last decade*. Cheap and speedy access to the South Island. Much more laid back and community orientated than Auckland. The weather is ... alright.

Nelson: Best region in the country hands down* - haha

Christchurch: Looks pretty. You get Akaroa. Good weather, but the North Westerly is a shocker. In the early to mid nineties this city was easily the most racist, conservative, and physically violent city in the whole country*. No idea about now.

Dunedin: Total playground for students, in a good way. Living there gives you Wanaka, Te Anau, Catlins and Central Otago on your doorstep. A New Zealand city with tangible heritage (Maori, Chinese, and European). Gets damn cold, but is often really still - so Wellington on a windy day can feel way colder. Surprisingly hot in the Summer, but not Alex hot.

Oh, and South Island roads are infinitely more fun to drive on than North Island roads*. That on its own makes the South Island better =P

*IMHO