Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Best Car Spray painters in Wellington.

chulozumo

So as title says. Whos the best/what have your experiences been if any?

Unfotunatly i cant do this kind of thing my self atm D: . Hoping to learn soon though..

My cars clear coat is begining to peel in various places so am thinking of doing a full spray at some point. Also has a few covered up rust bits as well and the normal dings and dents...

Any one know how much the labour would be on something like that? (dont care about paint price as i can get it cheaper then what they will sell to me for ;D)

having dealt with many, Arlingtons is the best hands down, my seond choice would be the sugery in Porirua.

neither is cheap but if you have the doe and want the best, try either of them

Stoffa said:

Guy who used to own guys body shop, he now works at August Panel and Spray in Nelson st Petone.

I used to be a panel beater so I can spot a good painter.

I can spray reasonably well, but only ever done single pot paints

I second this recommendation. Guy painted my car when he owned Guys body shop.

3k is a cheap respray if you are doing the whole thing for a good job you could be looking at 5k+ unless you are getting perky rates. The labour is the expensive bit cos of all the sanding and filling required to get things flat, if you do all that yourself you can save a lot. I bought all the paint and primer and did all the body work on mine and it only cost a grand to get painted but I spent the best part 100 hours sanding bog or primer.

this thread tempts me to post here the enormous thread we did when we painted the MR2 in our garage last xmas holidays, the procedure would be the same for any car. but its a huge thread as we documented(with pics and discriptions) every process, I will happily repost it here if anyone is keen to see it

i got a mate that will be doing my car for $1500.00 in the booth also

but im going to be doing most of my prep. you car is pretty stright anyway bro... should be cheaper

ya, a "doors closed respray" should be about that, if you supply the paint, total body shop in the hutt on high street is probably you best bet. for good ppg lacqure, its still expensive, say $600-$800 just for paint.

so $1500 would be a good price to pay just for the labour of painting, wet sanding tack clothing...etc...etc

if you go with 2 pot paint, you wont have to do so many layers so it would be cheaper to paint and less sanding because of less painting. so for example we did lacqure, we did 10-12 layers of paint, 2 or 3 layers primer-filler, 6-8 layers clear coat, its a long process but if you used 2 pot you only need 2-3 layers of paint and 2-3 layers of clear, with the clear you mix in a bit of colour in the first coat of clear to help if blend and look "deep" then the final layer of clear is almost all thinners and just a little clear to give it that wet look.

i do know a couple of guys that do perky just on panels such as door, guards and bonnet... but i would prefer to get a full respray on the whole car as colour might not match up

yup, completly understandable, "blending" is argualby the hardest part of painting and takes many many years of practice, even experienced guys get it wrong. there is also the point that when painting you need to paint the panels as they appear on the car, so you would paint a bonnet while its laying flat, not vertical and doors vertical not lying flat, we know of some backyard painters who have made this mistake and you can see it on the car, another good reason to get a pro to do it, if you really care about your car.

uuummm I think I should appologize, I went off topic in the last few posts...............sorry ::)

cheers for the help guys...didnt realise it would be that much for labour...

i can get all the paint products trhough my work so might be a bit cheaper...

yeah pretty off topic now lol.

fkn helllllll . gettin sick of seeing all these young drivers who dont know how to drive! >.< gonna end up with me having to pay more or something..

speaking of off topic...DrDarkMatter...do you or your wife work down in tawa at a mechanics place ? im sure ive seen stripey down there a few times...def saw thumper down there yesterday though lol