Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

1999 B4 Mods help?

Ok Ok,

Hi guys I have recently got a 1999 B4, twin turbo with the badge, which has the letters (RFRB)

(RFRB) First what does that mean?

How do you know what type of B4 you have?

Eg: RSK, Sti etc..

I would like to modify some things to it.

1. Lowering it... What kind of lowering kits can I use? eg: Low Kit/Super low kit ( I have heard sti kits work on b4, but unsure?)

2. After 18' Mags, what off set do I look for? And do I have to roll the guards if I lower it?

3. Using the twin turbo to full use eg: Decreasing the VOD and what revs should the first turbo go and second turbo?

And just one more thing anyone know if I shave my locks of the exterior of the car WILL I STILL GET A WOF? That is after the alarm is installed with a keyless entry function.

The outside handles are still there.

Any help will be really appreciated

Guest keltik
 blunt said:

Ok Ok,

Hi guys I have recently got a 1999 B4, twin turbo with the badge, which has the letters (RFRB)

(RFRB) First what does that mean?

How do you know what type of B4 you have?

Eg: RSK, Sti etc..

I would like to modify some things to it.

1. Lowering it... What kind of lowering kits can I use? eg: Low Kit/Super low kit

unknown

2. After 18' Mags, what off set do I look for? And do I have to roll the guards if I lower it?

unknown

3. Using the twin turbo to full use eg: Decreasing the VOD and what revs should the first turbo go and second turbo?

remove twin turbo and fit single...or zerosports controller. First should run from 2200 to about 4500, secondary from 4500 onwards

And just one more thing anyone know if I shave my locks of the exterior of the car WILL I STILL GET A WOF? That is after the alarm is installed with a keyless entry function.

im pretty sure you need some kind of switch on the outside to open the doors...not totally sure though

firstly you cant get an STI B4... from 1999 anyway (to cover my arse) in case you can (09 has an sti i think)..

your B4 should just be an RSK.. RFRB... RFRB is just a visual styling im pretty sure..

two ways to lower your car..

#1 low or super low springs - not requiring a cert, more for looks than performance

#2 get adjustables, requires a cert and for performance

mags

you will be looking for a set of 18*7.5 or 18*8 rims.. that will take 215/40/18 rubber (or similar dimensions)

Depending on the offset its likely you will have to roll the rears (this is dependant on whether you have lowered your car(obviously))... you need 5*100 stud pattern as well... fyi

offset is not totally accurate measurement, just go and try some rims, some go +40, some more some less... some +40 will fit, some wont etc.. i think you get the point

Twin turbos

primary should be be 2200ish to 4400ish and 4500 to redline for the secondary. Decreasing the VOD you can get a professional to alter the wastegate on the primary or go for a sequentail controller (not boost controller) and that all most eliminates it all together.. thinking aboug $400+, brand name eludes me. the manual way is more of an art and doesnt give as good a result as the controller. (i had manual way on my old gtb and worked just fine).

Hope this helps

#1 low or super low springs - not requiring a cert, more for looks than performance

I am after a super low kit for my B4. It doesn't seem there is any?

What other super low kits would fit a B4 and What brand of springs should I use?

you can always try the likes of the japan brands eg: Tein, HKS, RS*R

I had a set of RS*r ones i got off trademe, was low, ride stay the same, and the springs always remain captive.

Oh and only springs for a BE/BH legacy will fit!!!! as the rear suspension is completely different.

AS for your locks. Just go to wreckers and get some rear door handles and put them on in replacment of your front. (they are the same handles)

keltik']

[quote name='blunt said:

b]remove twin turbo and fit single...or zerosports controller. First should run from 2200 to about 4500, secondary from 4500 onwards[/b]

im pretty sure you need some kind of switch on the outside to open the doors...not totally sure though

From the diagrams I have for that are relevent to TT models:

VOD: happens from about 4250 to 5250RPM

Single turbo (Primary) to Twin turbo (Secondary) Switch over:

Primary to Secondary happens about 5250RPM

Secondary to Primary happens about 4250RPM

Locks:

If you want to shave them just buy some "door poppers", they are a small switch that you can install anywhere, and they are (well some anyway) a mechanical mechanism(as required by WOF Schedule for safety reasons - it cannot rely on electricity)

subieboy said:
as required by WOF Schedule for safety reasons - it cannot rely on electricity

Is that because when a random member of the public tries to pull you from your burning car with locked doors, you have rendered the spare set of keys that they had in their pocket for your car useless?

rsb_leggy said:

the sequential controller is made by zeropsorts it doesnt eliminate it completely but makes a huge difference over factory in mine ;D

+1 do this first then worry about the look latter... single converson is the best eliminator for VOD

I would add better sway bars and cucso under body brace to that list, Anti lift kit from whiteline (much better power out them corners)

change the plastic links front and rear (Autolign have them) if you got the bilstein on it .. whiteline have a superlow spring kit .. SAS can get them... Autolign will try to sell you theirs lol.. (Autolign do have good stuff though)

Shaved locks are ok no cert, I had ten cent coins in mine ... BUT shaved door handles and locks, with door poppers you will need cert (it only the open machism thats part of the WOF standards, another word the door must be able to be opened from the inside and outside - nothing to do with the key lock... key lock still wont open the door) If the lock itself is a CERT standard most self locking alarms (while driving) fitted will than need cert right? But not so... not unless this has changed... I was going to streamline my GTB wagon and had door poppers from autoloc (though to be safe may pay to check again with Cert people)

My 2 Cents...

Adjusties are awsome but be prepare to outlay some coin...

New springs are definately the cheapest way to go for instant effect, Teins i think are the best but will set you back $450 for a set ($350) from a guy on trade me ( i have his number).

I got a set of Vogtland springs from him tho which are German, they were $270. They are pretty good (better than KINGS etc... dont buy JAMEX... cheap metal) but the Teins will give a better ride if you want track time etc.

VOD, a POD filter will greatly reduce it, but over time your AFM will s%#t itself. Go for a K&N replacement panel maybe or keep stock. With a Filter upgrade and a rear muffler your VOD will hardly be noticable.

D-Style said:

I had a set of RS*r ones i got off trademe, was low, ride stay the same, and the springs always remain captive.

Oh and only springs for a BE/BH legacy will fit!!!! as the rear suspension is completely different.

AS for your locks. Just go to wreckers and get some rear door handles and put them on in replacment of your front. (they are the same handles)

BH is the wagon version of a B4 so any rear shocks that were on a BH WILL NOT FIT. Some trade me sellers will try to sell you there shocks off their BH wagon and say they will fit B4 as they are the same year, DONT FALL FOR IT, the rears wont fit.

GTBoy said:

New springs are definately the cheapest way to go for instant effect, Teins i think are the best but will set you back $450 for a set ($350) from a guy on trade me ( i have his number).

I think I have already asked him. They don't have super low kits for BE5 1999 B4

sylus']

[quote name='D-Style said:

/quote] BH is the wagon version of a B4 so any rear shocks that were on a BH WILL NOT FIT. Some trade me sellers will try to sell you there shocks off their BH wagon and say they will fit B4 as they are the same year, DONT FALL FOR IT, the rears wont fit.

Are you sure? I brought a set of adjustables off a BH and they fitted perfect to my BE

What differences are there between the shocks?

D-Style']

[quote name='D-Style said:

/quote] BH is the wagon version of a B4 so any rear shocks that were on a BH WILL NOT FIT. Some trade me sellers will try to sell you there shocks off their BH wagon and say they will fit B4 as they are the same year, DONT FALL FOR IT, the rears wont fit.

Are you sure? I brought a set of adjustables off a BH and they fitted perfect to my BE

What differences are there between the shocks?

I'd like to know your sources sylus?

I have also fitted BE shocks to my BH without a problem.

They appear identical to me, there may possibly be a slightly different spring rate on the rears but thats just a maybe.

I tried fitting BH5 tein adjustables to my b4, the fronts fitted perfect, the rear coilovers would not as they were too tall. I rang Autolign and they confirmed what I already found out - they wont fit.

• 9 years later...

Im wondering if rsk b4 springs would fit on my bh5 strut? Also would my front set 92 rs juddys fit on bh5 also? Thanks

Done hose 10 mod , felt a difference in boost response. Havnt heard of any downfalls so easy 2min mod. If anybody has aa lowered rear set for sale or complete il buy em