Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How much fuel in reserve?

Divine

I always give myself 25kms or so in emergencies.

But then generally i get no where near empty before the cars are refilled each fortnight.

Plus its not really great for your car to run on all the shit thats swilling around the bottom of your tank.

Yeah I've just had a lot of driving recently and didn't take into account the extra fuel I was using on a day to day basis, and moved car to avoid parking wardens at lunch time and realised I was on 'E' but no fuel light yet.

Cheers for your input.

chrisjunkie said:

This has long been something ive wanted to know as well! On my BH.. If anyone knows how much fuel it is that would be awesome. My light comes on just as in going below the E haha

Wife's BE light comes on as you hit the E line. 10 litres left. Enough to drive from Heathcote Valley industrial area to Rangiora AND BACK!!! Very conservatively though.

Average fuel consumption if you DONT drive like a wanker is 13L/100km around city. Better on open road. Around 10L/100km. So in city, give yourself a 50km travel MAX on fuel light.

And while the crap in the bottom of tank maybe bad, fuel filters are cheap and easy to replace. Filling above half for city driving is wasting fuel through added weight of 30-40L of petrol in tank that doesn't need to be there.

That's why needle drops faster in top half of gauge.

General public consensus over the years for any car is that there's about 10L left in the tank when the fuel light comes on.

For more accurate guesstimate - find out what the official capacity of the tank is (check owner's manual of your car if you got it), run the car until fuel light comes on then drop straight in to a petrol station, full the car right up and see how many litres you got in. The diff between your fill and the total tank capacity gives you the amount left when the light came on.

But as suggested already, you probably don't want to be sucking up the gunk in the bottom of the tank...

familyman']

[quote name='chrisjunkie said:

This has long been something ive wanted to know as well! On my BH.. If anyone knows how much fuel it is that would be awesome. My light comes on just as in going below the E haha

/quote]

Wife's BE light comes on as you hit the E line. 10 litres left. Enough to drive from Heathcote Valley industrial area to Rangiora AND BACK!!! Very conservatively though.

Average fuel consumption if you DONT drive like a wanker is 13L/100km around city. Better on open road. Around 10L/100km. So in city, give yourself a 50km travel MAX on fuel light.

And while the crap in the bottom of tank maybe bad, fuel filters are cheap and easy to replace. Filling above half for city driving is wasting fuel through added weight of 30-40L of petrol in tank that doesn't need to be there.

That's why needle drops faster in top half of gauge.

When i read something about saving gas, it said keeping it full was better - less evaporation and a few other things i can't remember. Sounds slightly bollocks to me...?

About the empty light - Mine comes on just before E line, I've gone about 15kms once on and not gone below E line still. Guessing theres about 50kms in there

Guest vf20/21bg5

Well this is somthing that i have studied on lots of different cars over the years and its all worked out generally the same when the fuel light comes on......Here are my findings and guidelines, as soon as you see that orange light come on zero in the speedo, for around town start/stop driving allow about 30-40kms max to be safe b4 running out, on the open road at a continuous speed without flooring it everywhere allow 50-60kms max....

Ive always loved testing how many ks id get once the light came on and carried a small petrol container on occasions to test it too....always good to know for emergency situations or when money is a bit tight.

CP93MM said:

Well this is somthing that i have studied on lots of different cars over the years and its all worked out generally the same when the fuel light comes on......Here are my findings and guidelines, as soon as you see that orange light come on zero in the speedo, for around town start/stop driving allow about 30-40kms max to be safe b4 running out, on the open road at a continuous speed without flooring it everywhere allow 50-60kms max....

Ive always loved testing how many ks id get once the light came on and carried a small petrol container on occasions to test it too....always good to know for emergency situations or when money is a bit tight.

I also do this...was not expecting my wrx to have no fuel light tho!!!!!