• Raised $0.00

Attn, ALL OWNERS OF CARS THAT HAVE AVCS

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
39 minutes ago, Invisible said:

I got mine sorted when doing rebuild

@Subirex Automotive shed any light on this?

yes @Invisible i did sort your one out. plus your whole loom had to be replaced.

so the story here is the rear cam sensors start leaking internally and that oil travels inside the loom. how common? VERY. any Subaru with these rear cam sensors are prone to fail and leak internally. the most common one is the Impreza and Forrester, since these models have metal casing they get loose and oil travels inside to the loom. FIX. if in budget and no codes are thrown, simply pull out the sensors, thoroughly clean metal casing and make sure there is no oil residue. apply three bond sealer around the surface where the metal casing and plastic parts mates. wait for dry and install back. if the oil hasn't penetrated through harness enough than cut the harness plug and join wires using bullet connectors, this will ensure oil falls off (if it decides to leak again) through the connectors before it travels through. if not in budget and you have a deep pocket, than go ahead and replace the sensors.

when the oil travels through the harness, the wires get hard and starts breaking internally. on operating temperature it can cause a lot of performance issues. best way to find this is to unplug the harness and check for any oil residue. if the is than change the harness and use bullet connectors on the cam sensors to prevent oil travel.

ive seen a lot of these and 8 out of 10 of these vehicle had engine blow by. is the blow by cause of this? I cant be 100% sure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Subirex Automotive said:

yes @Invisible i did sort your one out. plus your whole loom had to be replaced.

so the story here is the rear cam sensors start leaking internally and that oil travels inside the loom. how common? VERY. any Subaru with these rear cam sensors are prone to fail and leak internally. the most common one is the Impreza and Forrester, since these models have metal casing they get loose and oil travels inside to the loom. FIX. if in budgand no codes are thrown, simply pull out the sensors, thoroughly clean metal casing and make sure there is no oil residue. 

Thanks for the info..How easy is it to check if this happening?  When I get my car serviced can they readily reach the sensors or do they need to pull lots apart to reach? Is this the same issue as the OP acvs issue or a different sensor that has the issue?

Edited by killervq30de

17 hours ago, killervq30de said:

Thanks for the info..How easy is it to check if this happening?  When I get my car serviced can they readily reach the sensors or do they need to pull lots apart to reach? Is this the same issue as the OP acvs issue or a different sensor that has the issue?

depends on model to model. some are a prick to get to and some are easy. located at the rear of the heads. left ones are easy to check as the plugs can be easily accessed. drivers side depends if its turbo or na. hardest ones i found are BP, BL legacies. the rest are simple. 

1 hour ago, Subirex Automotive said:

depends on model to model. some are a prick to get to and some are easy. located at the rear of the heads. left ones are easy to check as the plugs can be easily accessed. drivers side depends if its turbo or na. hardest ones i found are BP, BL legacies. the rest are simple. 

Greeeat mines a BP :(

4 hours ago, TNHSTI said:

@Subirex Automotive - is this issue related to the P0021 code which is the Camshaft position over advance or performance Bank 1 or 2?

@TNHSTI yes it can be. normally these codes appear when the vvt pulley stops working properly and cam sensors pick these up. this can be caused by bad oil, blockage in the vvt line or filter. if the harness is filled with oil, than this code does come on as the resistance in the wires varies on temperature.

• 2 months later...
On 2017-3-21 at 6:18 PM, Subirex Automotive said:

so the story here is the rear cam sensors start leaking internally and that oil travels inside the loom. how common? VERY. any Subaru with these rear cam sensors are prone to fail and leak internally. the most common one is the Impreza and Forrester, since these models have metal casing they get loose and oil travels inside to the loom. FIX. if in budget and no codes are thrown, simply pull out the sensors, thoroughly clean metal casing and make sure there is no oil residue. apply three bond sealer around the surface where the metal casing and plastic parts mates. wait for dry and install back. if the oil hasn't penetrated through harness enough than cut the harness plug and join wires using bullet connectors, this will ensure oil falls off (if it decides to leak again) through the connectors before it travels through. if not in budget and you have a deep pocket, than go ahead and replace the sensors.

when the oil travels through the harness, the wires get hard and starts breaking internally. on operating temperature it can cause a lot of performance issues. best way to find this is to unplug the harness and check for any oil residue. if the is than change the harness and use bullet connectors on the cam sensors to prevent oil travel.

ive seen a lot of these and 8 out of 10 of these vehicle had engine blow by. is the blow by cause of this? I cant be 100% sure.

Hi do the early jdm wrx  ej205 2001 v7 auto have these filters inside them also ? I got a frame blocking access and a metal line conver part of the bolt on the intake side.

• 8 months later...

These sensors are going to be a common thing for me I think! I found this thread again a few weeks ago through some random googling, and guess what, the next day I had a customer complain about an oil smell when the cars hot, and sure enough these little AVCS position sensors were the culprit, leaking externally.

I did find the are dead easy to replace if the rocker cover is off, and given rocker cover leaks are the most common oil leak on a Subie, not a bad idea to go for the up sell and do both the sensors and rocker covers at the same time, saves you plenty of cussing when changing these sensors.

I did that job yesterday on a 99 250T, and today I had a 98 BH Lancaster come in with a misfire, and guess what, same bloody sensors. Also leaking externally, and from the rocker covers, and also had oil at the body harness connector like the 250T.

Partsouq have the sensors in stock at reasonable prices, not quite the $400 genuine wanted a few years back!!! But I could see no supersession in part number which is a bit of a let down.

Is it worth trying to clear the oil out of the loom? The 250T I worked on yesterday the guy bought for $1100, these things are hardly worth the money chasing after the big proper fix now, almost a case of just slapping the new sensors in and being done with it! Maybe worth checking the ECU and acting if the oils made it that far...

A bloody bugger of a problem really. Anyone have stories of what happens when it’s left for a long time and the ECU has copped it?

• Like 1

I have been going through the process of sorting my sensors which had been leaking for a while. There is a guy in Wellington who re-seals them which he claims is a permenant fix as opposed to replacing the sensors which will eventually start leaking again. Though in the case of a car worth $1100 new sensors would be an easier option. If the external leak is the main problem then replacing the sealing o-ring would probably fix that.

The guy I was talking to also suggested cutting a small slit in the insulator of the wires on the small extension loom which goes to the sensor plug. This helps to give the oil another route out of the loom. Cleaning out the plug on the drivers strut tower periodically is also a good idea.

Yeah I was thinking something like that, I like the crimping on some terminals idea too, as a future proof for when the new sensors let go. As for cleaning out the oil from the rest of the loom, I’m at a bit of a loss as to how that might be possibly, thinking it may be impossible.

24 minutes ago, ReubenH said:

Yeah I was thinking something like that, I like the crimping on some terminals idea too, as a future proof for when the new sensors let go. As for cleaning out the oil from the rest of the loom, I’m at a bit of a loss as to how that might be possibly, thinking it may be impossible.

The way I see it, as long as there isn't more oil pushing into the loom at the sensor, the the oil already in there will have a tough time progressing further towards the ecu.

Periodically cleaning out the strut tower plug is good since it tends to collect there.

I'm not fully convinced the oil being in the loom is a big issue for most cars. I've unplugged the grey strut tower plug on maybe 30+ cars now. They have all had oil in there but most aren't having issues. I'm sure it can become an issue, but if the car isn't worth much I personally wouldn't worry about it. That is just my opinion.

That’s the feeling I’m getting too. I managed to cure the misfire on both these cars I worked on this week with just new plugs (the both had standard, not iridiums). On the first one I replaced just the orings to stop the external leak, I may call him back to chuck some crimp terminals on the stop the oil pushing further through. The second nicer one the guys elected to replace the sensors, i think I’ll do crimp terminals on that one too to future proof the job.

• Like 1

This week I discovered that FBs suffer from this also, but from a different source. The one I worked on had a LH TGV fault. During diagnosis I found oil in the main engine bay loom connection, but none at the ECU. I discovered the LH AVCS solenoid had leaked internally into the loom, travelled up to and filled the main connector, then down to the LH TGV where it had filled it and shorted the position reference circuit.