Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

• General Member

How long will a gearbox be ok sitting filled with oil and not fitted to a car? Do they need to be turned regularly or anything? I have had a spare in the garage for probably close to 3 years now lol.

al said:
Does the weather shield on a gc8 do anything? Ie does it keep wind or rain out?

Have got one on passengers side and none on drivers side. Wondering whether to take one off or put one on :-)

Take it off. I can put my window down not even a cm before rain comes in....

I painted mine black instead of taking off

Johnnynz said:
How long will a gearbox be ok sitting filled with oil and not fitted to a car? Do they need to be turned regularly or anything? I have had a spare in the garage for probably close to 3 years now lol.

May as well turn it. Swap oil out before use.

• Admin
 boyracer693 said:
Ok this may be counted as a dumb question but I have a 2002 V7 WRX Wagon. What parts from previous models fit my car? & Do parts from Legacy's fit it also?

Nothing that's worth having except VF22, 23, 24, maybe 28 turbos.

Perhaps 4-pot brakes if yours doesn't already have them.

Seriously, more or less anything else is a step backwards.

If you want to make your car slower and handle worse, most stuff can be swapped over.

94 Leone said:
Wagons are longer tip or something like that- so would stick out further; I know that Legacy wags vs sedan fit each other. Not sure about gc/gf I imagine they would.

Hopefully someone can confirm one way or the other as i will probably pick that exhaust up if it will fit.

BINKZ said:
Hopefully someone can confirm one way or the other as i will probably pick that exhaust up if it will fit.

Email them with your question, Ive found their response to be pretty quick to reply (usually within a day). The only thing I could think of that might be an issue would be the bracket locations, not sure if wagons are located further back than sedans, otherwise it should only be the tip difference, would stick out further on a sedan

boon said:
Nothing that's worth having except VF22, 23, 24, maybe 28 turbos.

Perhaps 4-pot brakes if yours doesn't already have them.

Seriously, more or less anything else is a step backwards.

If you want to make your car slower and handle worse, most stuff can be swapped over.

I was thinking STI Springs and Shocks, STI Sway bars and STI bits here and there. Thats mainly what i wanted to know. I am thinking about a VF turbo but waiting for funds

boyracer693 said:
I was thinking STI Springs and Shocks, STI Sway bars and STI bits here and there. Thats mainly what i wanted to know. I am thinking about a VF turbo but waiting for funds

You could do what I'm currently doing with my Version 8:

- TD05H-16G with a straight inlet (or VF series turbo)

- MAC 3 port boost solenoid

- Downpipe

Then get a retune. Your ECU should be reflashable.

4 pots with nice pads

STi shocks + springs

22mm rear sway bar

Go have some fun :)

evowrx said:
You just buying a chinugawa cover? Add an up pipe to the list too tim.

Do you know if the up-pipe's are catted?? Me and gotasuby were debating that, good point.

And no, SAS on here has a front cover that I bought off him.

I was looking at a Chinugawa front cover though beforehand.

I should also start a garage thread, good excuse to get the camera out.

Edited by Timmah

I dont from what ive heard some were some werent. Easy way to tell jack it up and have a nosey. Worth upgrading either way tho.

Easy then should skip along nicely. Pity theres no v8/9 sti they do look fine dressed up.

I know my up pipe is aftermarket as it definitely stainless. I decatted my factory downpipe(by smashing out the cat converters)and put it back on. Made a massive difference too. Was also thinking Yellow Injectors, Walbro Fuel Pump, Split Fuel Rails and a VF Series Turbo(whichever one i can afford). But i want to work on handling first of all mainly. What do you guys think?

evowrx said:
If its the dodgy massive sta/redline/common ching one throw it away and get something stock sized.

Throw a rear swaybar at any subaru for twice the handling.

Yeah i am pretty sure it is a ****ty stainless one but ill find a decent one that isnt too expensive

• Admin
 boyracer693 said:
I know my up pipe is aftermarket as it definitely stainless. I decatted my factory downpipe(by smashing out the cat converters)and put it back on. Made a massive difference too. Was also thinking Yellow Injectors, Walbro Fuel Pump, Split Fuel Rails and a VF Series Turbo(whichever one i can afford). But i want to work on handling first of all mainly. What do you guys think?

I'm fairly sure the stock injectors flow about the same as Yellows. Plus yellows are side-feed and yours will be top feed. STI pinks (565cc) would be an upgrade but good luck finding an ECU to run them that doesn't knock like hell without a reflash.

Split fuel rails are a waste of time/money unless you're dealing with insane amounts of power.

A Walbro wouldn't hurt.

Handling-wise, get some STI struts + springs and a big rear swaybar, spend the rest of your money on tyres and you'll be real happy with it for a long time.

• Guest locked this topic