Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Looking to get a cheapish bluetooth ODB2 reader that supports SSM to work on a 1998 Rev A BH legacy. Apparently OBDkey do one (http://www.obdkey.com/index.asp) but they are about 75 pounds plus shipping. Looking at ones on EBay/Trademe but can't find anything that says it will support my car. Looking for it to be able to run the Torque pro app on my phone. Any ideas?

So the Torque app that I brought for my last car now has been updated to read SSM. But it needs the right bluetooth adapter and the only one I can find that supports it costs a fortune (about 100 ponds + shipping.. Is there a cable I can plug into the OBD2 port directly into my phone? Looking for a cheap cable as still not sure what info will actually be shown. Car is a Rev A BH9 legacy

kwi_fozze said:
Tactrix works with btssm, also works with the torque app

Where is the best place to get one, are they cheap? just not wanting to spend much unless I know I will get some benefit out of it, I don't mind spending $20 - 30 on something at this point to see what info I can read,

Andy_Mac said:
North of 250 for a tactrix. Didn't think they worked on pre rev d legacy's? Or do they log alright but just can't use the flashing side of it?

Yeah a little out of my price range. I know I can't reflash, all I'm wanting is to be able to read out puts like temp, oil pressure etc like I did with my last car.

Marky said:

That looks just like a repackaged version of a cable I bought off ebay for like $10 dollars.

If you search for "VAG USB 409 Interface OBDII Car Diagnostics Cable with FT232BL Chip" on ebay, one of those cables worked for me. Just make sure it definitely has the FT232BL chip, that's the chip that correctly handles the SSM protocol that other adapters can't handle. I have an 03 JDM BP5 legacy, which isn't OBD2 and I can confirm that btssm works with this cable, with the updates to torque it may work as well.

finn61 said:
That looks just like a repackaged version of a cable I bought off ebay for like $10 dollars.

If you search for "VAG USB 409 Interface OBDII Car Diagnostics Cable with FT232BL Chip" on ebay, one of those cables worked for me. Just make sure it definitely has the FT232BL chip, that's the chip that correctly handles the SSM protocol that other adapters can't handle. I have an 03 JDM BP5 legacy, which isn't OBD2 and I can confirm that btssm works with this cable, with the updates to torque it may work as well.

Thats more like it will look that up, more in the price range, and if it doesn't work then no real loss.

Just be careful

Anything 02 onwards is different to the early generation

From 98-02 while they do use an OBD plug, none of your normal OBD bluetooths or cables etc will read it

I have one of those cables in my glove box, I'll send it down to you if you want. I don't have much use for it and I'd hate to see you be another one who wastes money on a "maybe"

I've plugged my bluetooth one into my car and no go, despite it being the later gen protocol

Marky said:
Just be careful

Anything 02 onwards is different to the early generation

From 98-02 while they do use an OBD plug, none of your normal OBD bluetooths or cables etc will read it

I have one of those cables in my glove box, I'll send it down to you if you want. I don't have much use for it and I'd hate to see you be another one who wastes money on a "maybe"

I've plugged my bluetooth one into my car and no go, despite it being the later gen protocol

Would be keen to give the cable a go. Will PM you my details.

• Admin

Yea can confirm the one Marky has works for rev c's, only ever used through the laptop though. Did a bit of research at the time and none of the cheap bluetooth ones would work for anything older than the rev d's. Got the same one as him sitting there doing nothing too.

Just as a confirmation, the cable I mentioned earlier doesn't use the ELM327 chip, it uses the FT232BL chip which is capable of interfacing correctly with SSM, which is why I suggested it :) I'd gone through all the kerfuffle with a bluetooth ELM327 adapter not working and ended up with that cable which has worked for me using BTSSM.

May have overfilled oil slightly last time I changed, have whitish smoke poofing out air filter after coming off throttle after wot pull, will only happen really at full boost. Also have just noticed that leaving it at idle i will get a little white smoke. Cbf pulling turbo off just to find that its sweet so does an overfill sound plausible? Ie to much oil in sump will lead to oil getting into crankcase being pushed out on gear change and being sucked into intake manifold while idling through the pcv? :/ will check in the morning anyway. Just hoping its not the snail.

• Guest locked this topic