Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

I wouldnt bother lot of work for zero return at the end youre playing at. You will make the same power and spool whether you do it or not. Different story if you were pushing 300wkw- where gains are noticeable as youre starting to push the limits.

• Admin
 Kol12 said:
Hi,

Just wondering what the best/safe way is to clean/degrease my engine bay?

Can I spray degreaser over things and just hose away?

Sorta what i've done in the past, just avoided electrical connectors, sure they're supposed to be waterproof but didn't really feel like testing that out with semi high pressure water

• Admin

Worm clamps vs T bolt clamps. Other than potentially messing up the silicone with the worm clamps is it really necessary to use T bolt ones for intercooler piping? Imagine the T bolt ones can provide a more consistant torque round the entire circumference but basically i'm really struggling to fit the T bolt ones on one particular join.

Andy_Mac said:
Worm clamps vs T bolt clamps. Other than potentially messing up the silicone with the worm clamps is it really necessary to use T bolt ones for intercooler piping? Imagine the T bolt ones can provide a more consistant torque round the entire circumference but basically i'm really struggling to fit the T bolt ones on one particular join.

Get a 12mm band one just get one that doesnt have slots that cut into the silicon.

^^That^^

The engine bay above look like it's just been built so it is clean.

However. If you want to keep yours looking fairly good there are a few things you can do. I use a small home steam cleaner (I think it's called piranha) to get rid of any spilled oil. It's accurate so you don't end up wetting the whole engine bay and it's really hot so it just breaks down the oily stuff. Blow away any water with an air compressor if you have one. Wipe off any excess with a soft cloth or chamois.

If it's just dusty I find the air compressor does a pretty good job just by itself.

Then finally if there are bit where the steam just isn't good enough then use a toothbrush to get on there and scrub the bastard.

I used to use a bit of engine degreaser and a hose but once in a while something that was not sealed properly would get wet and the car would run funny or not start.

I tried the degreaser and hose method the other day, a bit better than what it was but not super shiny or anything. The guy I brought the car off has driven through a whole lot of mud at some stage and it's like concrete in some places but everywhere else it's like a splashed mud spot effect. All the pipes would need to cleaned individually to remove the spots I'd say. If I get a chance I might get it steam cleaned at a valet and see if that makes a difference.

• Admin

Here's a maybe not so dumb question: How do people feel about this thread being locked, with the encouragement for a thread per question to be made, be it dumb or otherwise?

There is a LOT of really good information buried in this thread, but that's exactly what it is, buried, and good luck to anyone who wants to try and refer to it if someone asks the same question again in the future.

boon said:
Here's a maybe not so dumb question: How do people feel about this thread being locked, with the encouragement for a thread per question to be made, be it dumb or otherwise?

There is a LOT of really good information buried in this thread, but that's exactly what it is, buried, and good luck to anyone who wants to try and refer to it if someone asks the same question again in the future.

Whats a pita is when you google something and its in this thread but old style, you go view full then it puts you back to first post.

If we had a faq there would be far less need for this thread and the other stuff could be asked in appropriate sections.

• Admin

Still reckon its a good thread to have, its just used too often for not so dumb questions that do require multiple answers. Good for simple questions you wouldn't normally bother starting a whole new thread for

Agree getting results out of it at a later date is a pain even when searching it through google.

A good set of faq's would leave it redundant but does anyone have the time to get something of that scale set up.

So i went to move a hose today as i noticed it was sitting pretty close to the turbo, as i did it pretty much broke in half, felt pretty brittle from the heat.

Looks like one end goes to the GFB EBC which i'm using as display only and the other to a t piece.

My question is will this effect the car in anyway while driving? or is its main purpose just to give the EBC a reading?? is it best if i find something to connect the 2 ends back up?

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff so hoping someone can help.

Cheers

cnozeq0p.pfb.jpg

xgdt0ajt.pw2.jpg

• Guest locked this topic