Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Dumb question i have a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and i was just wondering as it goes up in 20psi increments i'm just guessing its running the correct psi so if i was to up it to 50psi i technically shouldn't use anymore gas as whats not used would just be returned to the tank?

or does the fpr just force more gas to be burnt?

no expert on this subject but your injector flow rates are goverened by the base fuel pressure.

at the regulator, base pressure + boost pressure keeps the fuel pressure at a constant

if you change the fuel pressure, i expect you would want to tune your fuel maps to suit (or vice versa)

i expect just upping the fuel pressure alone will result in over fuelling. and maybe a poor injector spray pattern depending on the injector?

Quoted from lvvta site:

"Can I fit my Lancer GSR RS with a pair of Recaro race seats out of an Evo rally car? The seats are the FIA-approved SPG model and were fitted to Recaro rails which have bolted directly into my GSR. Sounds like some confusion there. You can have your Recaro seats (yes, certainly a reputable brand!) without the need for a LVV cert provided that:

they've been bolted in to unmodified seat anchorages; that the anchorage or operation of the seatbelts are not affected; that the belts are still correctly located in relation to your hip and shoulder; and that you have no airbag.

The 'unmodified OE anchorages' mean the mounts in the floor to which your rails or sliders bolt to - but I have heard of some WoF inspectors thinking 'anchorages' means the rails."

So I suppose yes- if you have a decent wof guy.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/knowledge_base.html#seats

kamineko said:

no expert on this subject but your injector flow rates are goverened by the base fuel pressure.

at the regulator, base pressure + boost pressure keeps the fuel pressure at a constant

if you change the fuel pressure, i expect you would want to tune your fuel maps to suit (or vice versa)

i expect just upping the fuel pressure alone will result in over fuelling. and maybe a poor injector spray pattern depending on the injector?

didn't see this

Yeah so if i up the pressure will i use more gas as what wasn't used would just be returned to the tank wouldn't it?

as the fuel map is only for so much gas any extra would just be not used?

your injectors are rated at a certain pressure. lets say 440cc @ 75psi @ 80% duty cycle.. for example. (80duty means 80% of their potential)

Now lets look at an adjustable fuel reg. Most are 1:1 rising rate. Like Nicks explained above as your boost pressure rises you get a rising rate of fuel pressure. This should seem logical as you need to trap more fuel in the rails as the engine requires more as it comes on boost. Remember what the reg is doing is reducing the RETURN flow, so the pump will continue shoveling fuel at the injectors making the pressure rise.

We know a factory reg is about 43.5psi BASE pressure. (they are also 1:1 rising rate). So at 18psi you'd expect peak fuel pressure to be 43.5+18psi ~ 61.5psi.

What happens when you raise the base pressure, your injectors can be forced to feed more fuel than they were designed for (or what the ecu knows about). For the same duty cycle on the injector you get more cc injected.

As your factory ecu cant be adjusted it will use more gas. On a link or similar you trim out duty cycle to get the same (desired) AFR's so fuel economy remains optimal. SO for example you be able to force 550cc @ 90psi but with the link you trim out duty to something much less to get an equivilent AFR.

make sense? /ramble

it makes sense i have a rising rate one its just a cheap universal one tho but still does the trick.

I'm just paranoid about running lean i have yellow injectors so 440cc so i just wanted to know if i up the fuel pressure will i do any damage to my car?

will i use more gas?

and will the excess fuel be burnt up or returned to the fuel tank.

QRAF said:

it makes sense i have a rising rate one its just a cheap universal one tho but still does the trick.

I'm just paranoid about running lean i have yellow injectors so 440cc so i just wanted to know if i up the fuel pressure will i do any damage to my car?

will i use more gas?

and will the excess fuel be burnt up or returned to the fuel tank.

Unless its tuned for the excess fuel you will be pumping into the cylinders you should not be touching the fuel pressure. Turn the boost down if you are worried about running lean.

My Foz has a purple MAF with letter F, think it's dying. As a test, will a blue MAF with a letter C, from my mates legacy, run on my Foz?

Those STI genome gauges, are they actually any good? I quite like the idea of the peak hold function and they seem a little bit cheaper than the normal defi ones when they sometimes come up for sale. I assume theres nothing special about wiring it in?

• General Member
 3nvy said:

My Foz has a purple MAF with letter F, think it's dying. As a test, will a blue MAF with a letter C, from my mates legacy, run on my Foz?

I'm going with no / not really

they are coded with stickers for a reason / I dont know specifics but voltage differences/reading range etc may vary

You pay in blocks of 1000 kms.

The printout that goes over the rego slip says the the max amount of km's the odo can display.

If you get pulled over you get fined per km over.

Its suposed to make it fair for owners of farm vehicles who dont drive on the road ie, they dont have to pay the charges asociated with road maintanence and what not.

Other countries just dye diesel meant for agricultural use and charge the ruc at the pump.

The cops check the colour of your gas when you get pulled over in a diesel car and fine you if its coloured.

People try and trick the cops by adding things like used oil to disguise.

Along with people trying to get around the dyeing of diesel in some countries like the UK that dye it red from memory? Some people have their odometer played with and are able to switch it off and stop the odometer spinning, hence making the amount they pay in RUC go a lot further. Highly illegal and not condoning it, just saying its done and everyone knows, lol.

not unless the bucket seats have seat warmers which i doubt they do and come with the wiring and plugs etc, i have V3 STI seats in my BD5, they are mint, bolt straight in, just have to swap the seatbelt stalks and sensor over, no power in them but small sacrifice really, comfort and how they hold you in your seat, as well as cool factor outweighs any cons IMO ;)

Seat warmers, yes you can swap them, BUT you have to remove the fabric skins from both seats, mount them so they won't wrinkle, re attach seat skins... I've read threads where people have done it in the states, takes faaarking ages without forcing and breaking things, also a right c**t of a job.

• Guest locked this topic