Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

wrx_lou said:

Is it illegal to run mismatched suspension?

ie, adjustable rears and stock fronts.

I need to get a front one rebuilt but will need the car while its getting done.

in before some one says its a really dumb idea -

Its a pretty dumb idea. you wouldnt pass a warrant with it like that so therefor illegal? however, its only illegal if you get caught.

Yeah I know its not an ideal setup. Just wasnt too sure if it was illegal.

The cars not exactly low key so would probably be a bit worried about getting pulled over.

Guess its off to pickapart for a full stock suspension setup. At least its cheap.

wrx_lou said:

Is it illegal to run mismatched suspension?

ie, adjustable rears and stock fronts.

I need to get a front one rebuilt but will need the car while its getting done.

Yes i was told it's illegal (and as mentioned pretty dumb idea) as i was in the same boat, front suspension needing rebuilt.

Ended up getting a second hand front suspension till i rebuild mine!

Got front Teins for $180 and they are in pretty damn good nick :D

There arent as many sets of secondhand adjustables for my car unfortunately.

There are however several sets of factory ones at pickapart.

Its just the hassle of having to swap the whole setup over that I was trying to avoid.

Actualy, given they are listed on the cert plate, can I actualy revert back to stock legaly?

wrx_lou said:

There arent as many sets of secondhand adjustables for my car unfortunately.

There are however several sets of factory ones at pickapart.

Its just the hassle of having to swap the whole setup over that I was trying to avoid.

Actualy, given they are listed on the cert plate, can I actualy revert back to stock legaly?

The wof guy i asked said, you either refer back to full factory setup or get another set of adjustable/rebuild yours!

so im guessing yes you'll be fine in factory setup!

Also what car you got?

if subaru then pretty much all front ones are interchangeables (don't know bout 2003+ models)

We are borg said:

If the cert plate states it has adjustable then adjustable it must have, so illegal to run stock at all

Unfortunately yes. If you have a cert stating adjustables and you put stock back in...you have to get it de-certed. Costs about $80 at a vehicle inspector/certifier.

slightly confused on upgrading brakes.i have v2 wrx and just bought 4 pot calipers from wreckers as one of my calipers is open,my question spawns from GF comming back from mechanic who said (1) I need to get 4 pots and larger roters on rears as well (2)will need to get them certified.soooo do I need to do this or get another opinion as mechanic wasn't to sure ??? main reason i'm confused is all my searches show alot of subies with 4 pot front and 2 rear although i did see a b4 with 4 front 4 rear the other day.[getting tempory 2 pot replacement on front for time being]

bford said:

slightly confused on upgrading brakes.i have v2 wrx and just bought 4 pot calipers from wreckers as one of my calipers is open,my question spawns from GF comming back from mechanic who said (1) I need to get 4 pots and larger roters on rears as well (2)will need to get them certified.soooo do I need to do this or get another opinion as mechanic wasn't to sure ??? main reason i'm confused is all my searches show alot of subies with 4 pot front and 2 rear although i did see a b4 with 4 front 4 rear the other day.[getting tempory 2 pot replacement on front for time being]

1. Yes you'll need bigger rotors for the 4 pots and 2 pots. For the 2 pots, please read:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,32096.0.html

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,32099.0.html

2. No you won't need cert.

EDIT: And what B4 2000 said, the ninja.

• Admin

Ahem. Any brake substitution, and that's ANY other than replacement with an identical item, technically needs a cert.

Will you EVER get pulled up on it, as it's a bolt-on item that came on many of these cars? Hell no.

If you change from a VF22 to a TD04L, even though it's a smaller turbo which will make less power and was available on these cars anyway, teeeechnically speaking, you need a cert.

• Guest locked this topic