Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Looking to buy 2003 BP legacy - some questions

Hi all,

New to the forums as I'm looking to buy a 2003 BP legacy. I've found one that I like in terms of ks done etc but I've been told not to get the twin turbo versions by some mates.

I thought I understood that all 2003+ 4th gen legacys were all single turbos but this one I'm looking at the dealer has said is a twin turbo. The engine number is BP5-031550. I've googled around and in these forums, couldn't find a conclusive answer so hoping you can help!

Also are these 2003 first batch of 4th gen legacys good on reliability? I've heard some horror stories about the predecessor 3rd gens, especially the twin turbos.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, don't really know at this point what to look for but will have a close look when I see it.

Just found some stuff and talking to my mates apparently it is a twin scroll turbo which is a single turbo. Maybe this is confusing the dealer...

Thanks guys, clears that up.

So are they reliable? I hear the newer BPs are much better if serviced regularly...buying a jap import so who knows how its serviced anything I should look out for? Cheers.

To be honest I find the majority of horror stories you hear about any of them are just a load of crap spouted by people who have never owned one anyway... "my mate said his mate met some guy down the pub who had one and it blew up"

On my 4th Subaru of ages varying from 1986 - 2002 (current one is '02 GTB), no major problems with any of them.

That is actually quite true. But when looking at spending a fair chunk of cash these things get inside your head a little bit.

Reading through the forums it seems like most people who service them and drive reasonably sensibly do not experience major problems, as with all cars I guess.

Yep, I have had a couple of expensive repairs on my turbo BP, but I wouldn't say it was unreliable, any car could need an expensive repair at some point.

The only advice I would give is to find one that at least looks like it has been looked after and is in good condition.

Check out the 3.0R version as well.

Overall they are pretty decent cars.

Going to look at the jap import 2003 GT, they say only done 74000ks so will have a good close look at condition and see if that looks right. But hard to find a car with that sort of milage on it!

3.0s are generally a few thousands more expensive and on higher milage Ive found, although they are chain driven I would have about you still need to spend a fair chunk on 100k service?

GravelBen said:

To be honest I find the majority of horror stories you hear about any of them are just a load of crap spouted by people who have never owned one anyway... "my mate said his mate met some guy down the pub who had one and it blew up"

On my 4th Subaru of ages varying from 1986 - 2002 (current one is '02 GTB), no major problems with any of them.

Lol I love that!!!! Soo true!!

quig said:

That is actually quite true. But when looking at spending a fair chunk of cash these things get inside your head a little bit.

Reading through the forums it seems like most people who service them and drive reasonably sensibly do not experience major problems, as with all cars I guess.

That is true. Any car would need a specific maintenance schedule that should be followed. It applies even with the recent cars made by the "Big T."

Many people buy cars without even thinking about fuel consumption and/or maintenance the do a lot of whining about how those cars are made. In my opinion, maintenance is the key to the survival of ANY car.

Cars nowadays have more parts, so they are more complicated and by principle, need much stricter maintenance schedules. Potential buyers should consider the cost of adhering to these schedules before buying cars.

Well, I used to come from the "I've owned Subies for years and never had a problem" camp....but in the last year I can safely say I'd never buy another and thats mostly due to my experience with my current BP5 legacy.

Unless you buy it new you can't tell how well its been serviced or treated previously and you could be in for a whole lot of pain. Mine checked out fine and drove well.

I bought a good condition BP5 legacy with 90000km, pretty standard for imports. The turbo let go very shortly after buying it, so replaced it - those twin scroll turbos aint cheap. As it turns out the cause of the turbo going was the engine, shortly after replacing the turbo the big end bearings went.

They may be reliable, but when things go bad they go spectacularly bad - knowing what I know now I'd seriously stay clear. My story most definitely isn't unique.

On top of that its had a fuel air ratio sensor go intermittent (heavy on fuel and soot on back of car) and the suspension has bushes that are designed to wear out as a replaceable part.

All up its cost around 12k in repairs within about 6 months, if it had been in one go I'd have driven it straight to the wreckers.

If you must buy one of these cars, make sure you have a mechanical warranty and change the oil every 6k with something like shell helix ultra (it actually makes a noticeable performance difference). Good luck!

Cheers

Dax

Dax said:

Well, I used to come from the "I've owned Subies for years and never had a problem" camp....but in the last year I can safely say I'd never buy another and thats mostly due to my experience with my current BP5 legacy.

Unless you buy it new you can't tell how well its been serviced or treated previously and you could be in for a whole lot of pain. Mine checked out fine and drove well.

I bought a good condition BP5 legacy with 90000km, pretty standard for imports. The turbo let go very shortly after buying it, so replaced it - those twin scroll turbos aint cheap. As it turns out the cause of the turbo going was the engine, shortly after replacing the turbo the big end bearings went.

They may be reliable, but when things go bad they go spectacularly bad - knowing what I know now I'd seriously stay clear. My story most definitely isn't unique.

On top of that its had a fuel air ratio sensor go intermittent (heavy on fuel and soot on back of car) and the suspension has bushes that are designed to wear out as a replaceable part.

All up its cost around 12k in repairs within about 6 months, if it had been in one go I'd have driven it straight to the wreckers.

If you must buy one of these cars, make sure you have a mechanical warranty and change the oil every 6k with something like shell helix ultra (it actually makes a noticeable performance difference). Good luck!

Cheers

Dax

The maintenance history/notes of these Japanese imports must also be checked and researched. They may look mint from the outside but in some cases, a lot are hidden. We study and research the history of the cars that we import from Japan. It's a must do on any second hand car.

Sad to say brother, the Subaru that you have bought might have had 90,000 "racing" kms. When you got it, it might have been a ticking timebomb already.

We really shouldn't comment on the reliability of cars if we bought them second hand.

CAVEAT EMPTOR...

2 words to get real familiar with when buying a used car. Sounds like Dax bought a shitter but that's likely with any car regardless of make, model age... a mate was test driving a brand new Holden Captiva when the auto went bang on the motorway. Yeah ok Korean junk but all the same, brand new cars can be just as likely to implode as 10 year old cars. And all this applies just as equally to NZ new cars as Jappers. Cos can guarantee there are plenty of good'ol Kiwi boys'n'girls driving NZ new cars who are total shithouse at car maintenance, not to mention driving ability.

Dax - if your car spat the dummy so soon and you bought it from a dealer you should've been straight back kicking his door in and demanding he repair it or replace it. Check your rights - a dealer must comply with the Consumer Guarantees Act and the Fair Trading Act. Of course he's gonna swear black and blue it's not his problem but you've got to put up a fight. The law sez something about problems occurring within 'a reasonable period'. A bit grey, but a reputable dealer will suggest that they will deal with any problems within a 3 month period. Just ask. It's the least you can do. Or otherwise blow more money on mechanical insurance (which is a whole other kettle of problem fish...)

Anyway back to BP legacies. Our 2007 GT NZ new car is mint condition and going well. But even this one has had history that wasn't apparent when we bought it. Like having had some panel repair which I discovered after looking closely at the totally faded sticker on the windscreen next to the WOF!

So 2nd hand cars are always going to be a lottery. Best you can do is all the usual checks, buy mechanical insurance if you must and pray you got a good one. Like I said at the beginning - Caveat Emptor.

no turbo diesel untill 2009 in forester first then introducted into 2010 legacy / outback

2.5N/A , 2.0R, 2.0N/A , 2.0 GT , 2.0 GT B spec, 3.0R ,3.0R B sepc for 2003 - 2007

2.5 Turbo was introduced to line up after 2007 and 2.0 turbo became domestic spec only

mitSUBishi-guy said:

CAVEAT EMPTOR...

2 words to get real familiar with when buying a used car. Sounds like Dax bought a s***ter but that's likely with any car regardless of make, model age... a mate was test driving a brand new Holden Captiva when the auto went bang on the motorway. Yeah ok Korean junk but all the same, brand new cars can be just as likely to implode as 10 year old cars. And all this applies just as equally to NZ new cars as Jappers. Cos can guarantee there are plenty of good'ol Kiwi boys'n'girls driving NZ new cars who are total s***house at car maintenance, not to mention driving ability.

Dax - if your car spat the dummy so soon and you bought it from a dealer you should've been straight back kicking his door in and demanding he repair it or replace it. Check your rights - a dealer must comply with the Consumer Guarantees Act and the Fair Trading Act. Of course he's gonna swear black and blue it's not his problem but you've got to put up a fight. The law sez something about problems occurring within 'a reasonable period'. A bit grey, but a reputable dealer will suggest that they will deal with any problems within a 3 month period. Just ask. It's the least you can do. Or otherwise blow more money on mechanical insurance (which is a whole other kettle of problem fish...)

Anyway back to BP legacies. Our 2007 GT NZ new car is mint condition and going well. But even this one has had history that wasn't apparent when we bought it. Like having had some panel repair which I discovered after looking closely at the totally faded sticker on the windscreen next to the WOF!

So 2nd hand cars are always going to be a lottery. Best you can do is all the usual checks, buy mechanical insurance if you must and pray you got a good one. Like I said at the beginning - Caveat Emptor.

CAVEAT EMPTOR is let the buyer beware