Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fixing exhaust leak for warrent...

chchsti

Ahoi hoi, failed wof on exhaust leak, took it to uniweld in sockburn and they charged me $204 just to weld a new flexi joint up in the front, which turns out wasnt the leak noticed in the wof, thats another flexi joint near the turbo apparently?? Which is a mission to get to and im looking at $400-$500 to get that replaced... Does this all sound right? VERY expensive imo!! Cheers :)

i had this almost exact problem happen to me, my uppipe was leaking an also had a couple leaks in my mid pipe. the mid pipe was an easy fix an I just had the exhaust cut out an replaced with a straight through pipe only to find the uppipe was the cause of the main leak

as for the uppipe, its a bitch of a job but its very easy to do yourself. if you have a good set of 6point sockets of various sizes then you should be able to do it yourself.....

if you decide to go do it yourself let me know an il give you some tips to make the job easier... all up it should be about 4hours of labour an the cost of an uppipe (140 new an prob only 50 2nd hand) the biggest problem with this sorta repair is the fact that the uppipe bolts are usually stuffed an requires removing the whole turbo exhaust setup but its really not to hard once you know how it goes...

be sure to replace with a SUBARU uppipe otherwise you might get a funny diameter pipe which will result in major lagg....

I personally would not pay 500$ for this job to be done... I think 200$ + parts would be much more realistic

TRY TONY FROM RDL PERFORMANCE HE KNOWS HIS STUFF AN IS WELL PRICED <---- cannot stress this guy enough honestly you wont regret going to him an he is a subaru rally car mechanic ..

also if you want an extra 10hp its a good time to get a catless down pipe :P would set you back 250 new or 100ish 2nd hand

If its the up-pipe (i.e. the one that feeds the turbo), then there is a flexi-joint in there but its best to just replace with another factory up-pipe as has been mentioned.

The downpipe (i.e. the one that comes off the back of the turbo) is the one that has a cat in it and you could replace it with a siamese downpipe.

and p.s. Tony is a great guy to deal with.

Ahhh sorry, bit slow lol! Gotcha now. Well hes pretty sure its the flexi on the up pipe so i guess his quote isnt bad for the labour involved and parts @_@ Will try ring around and get some quotes at rdl too though. Thanks all for the help!!

most subaru flexi joints are covered by heat shroud so you wont be able to see them (just so you know) an the uppipe on subarus has a flexi joint in it

its not a "big repair" but its time consuming, dirty and annoying work, the reason i suggested tony is because he will have done it often enough to be able to spare you on expensive labour costs with his know how

because of the nature of exhaust bolts the uppipe will not be able to unbolt from the turbo an removal of the turbo would not be uncommon, which also means removal of the downpipe.the downpipe has a cat in it which reduces emissions an exhaust flow, removing it will give you abit more top end I think?

nows a good time to think about replacing more than necessary to save future problems

oh an btw this cost me

40$ 2nd hand upipe

50$ gaskets

50$ exhaust repairs to mid pipe

20$ misc other things

250$ new 3inch downpipe

how ever ... removing old an tired running gear I also found there was old brittle plastic pipes which cracked near the turbo intake resulting in a pressure leak an a pretty major boost loss... I replaced 2 of these an even the AFM only to find there was more cracking else where on the intake...(plus a main intake pipe was not done up correctly)

i think those parts cost me about 40$ as well

some thing else to think about if you got high kms

just change the up pipe man ..... easy, do it yourself (if you have tools), im sure i have one that was going to go to someone for $15 and they never got back to me .

it yours if you want it.

would take about an hour. downpipe off , unbolt up pipe , remove turbo , change uppipe (with new gasket) and boom back in :)

rex-leggy said:

in a world where you've done it multiple times :P

someone not familiar 2 or 3 max. beats $400 imo

haha guess ive yet to see a real mechanic work magic :P

this was a hard repair on my old car.. all the bolts were rusted shut including the heat shroud on the headers ;D I also found the space to get the support brackets off was insanely small an required special sized extension bars an sockets (and alot of swearing) an then once the turbo an uppipe was finally off I had to remove 5 damaged bolts off ;D

I guess thats worst case scenario! but how often do these things leak anyway?

Low k's and trying to sell, just really wanna get wof, plus sounds loud enough already without adding a larger downpipe haha!! But thanks this all clarifies a lot more. Would do myself but dont have many tools and or time/patience lol so $40oish will have to do. Will have a chat to tony in the morning and hopefully he can do a bit cheaper :S Just wanted to make sure im not getting fed a jew burger!

• Admin

It's a bitch of a job if it's an older car and it's never had any work done on that part of it. Chances are all the nuts and bolts on the downpipe and heat shields will be rusted up like nobody's business. Plus half the studs on the back of the turbo will probably be either rusted or bent.