Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help my GTB is Knocking!

oh yea and my engine didnt blow a big end either, 1/4 of the piston blew out. Made a funny rattling noise to start with, i thought "ok so somethings rubbing on the guard, pulled over and stopped still made the noise, "oh f**k!", then we kept driving it home then the noise got way louder and there were literally a cloud of smoke behind us covering the whole road. called it a day then. still started after that though just ran shite and smoked heaps and made a rattling noise. i took the heads off the engine and yep massive hole in a piston, no wonder it smoked so much

if i was you id try get a wrx engine in and lose the twin turbo, easily doable with $2k id think. and theres no way anyone will buy your car for $4k even if its done low km (doesnt matter if engine stuffed) unless maybe its packed with aftermarket parts so dont even consider this

if i was you id try get a wrx engine in and lose the twin turbo, easily doable with $2k id think. and theres no way anyone will buy your car for $4k even if its done low km (doesnt matter if engine stuffed) unless maybe its packed with aftermarket parts so dont even consider this

The thing with a wrx engine is that would there be a lot of complications? what type of wrx engiine? i know my car can be converted to an sti..

*ninja edit - fixed quote bubble*

Hardly any complications AT ALL. You just need to keep your yellow injectors, AFM, and get a V3 or 4 STi ECU. Any engine will fit really, but you want one off a V3 or newer STi. If you find a complete engine btw, remember you can sell the GTB heads for a bundle, and the extra set of injectors etc. etc.

ReubenH said:

Hardly any complications AT ALL. You just need to keep your yellow injectors, AFM, and get a V3 or 4 STi ECU. Any engine will fit really, but you want one off a V3 or newer STi. If you find a complete engine btw, remember you can sell the GTB heads for a bundle, and the extra set of injectors etc. etc.

Hey Ruben found me this forester engine http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=204340732

If im correct i would only need a v4 intercooler, v4,3 ecu and a up pipe? or AM I missing some items to make it single turbo?

Again, that's not an STi EJ20K. You'll be selling yourself short. I still think your best bed is to find a new short block and go from there.

If you were to use it, well, nothing wrong with it. I don't know what sensors would work where etc. It may just plug in - i don't know. You'd have to swap in your yellow injectors (you'll be able to do a split fuel rail mod though), and use the GTB's AFM since it works fine with the V3 STi ECU. You'll Need a V3 STi ECU. The GTB intercooler works fine, but you'd have to get a Y pipe. You'll also need a downpipe, and chances are that downpipe would require you to get a single turbo gearbox cross member. Getting a custom downpipe means you can keep your TT crossmember though.

Again, i can't stress this enough, you are starting with an EJ20R, they are GOOD engines, they just like to blow up. The next best thing to a 20R is the V3/4 STi engine (actually better). All these ones you've been finding are downgrades - mainly because of the heads. Unfortunately it sounds like that's something you'll have to live with.

Give these guy's a call and ask if they have any V3/4 STi engines or long blocks, or even any short blocks.

Sub-Ar-Us

Bit's for subaru (formerly known as Aable)

waiuku car spares

Man you guys,

has it even been confirmed that it is a blown motor yet?

If the water pump shits itself badly it could make a rattling noise and once the belt skips it won't start. The turbo could have shitted itself and again, possibly a no start.

Running a bigend doesn't usually stop a motor from starting... or at least trying to.

How much money gets wasted by people throwing parts into these things without even doing a diagnosis. Cars doesn't run quite right... throw in a maf, doesn't fix it throw in an O2 sensor, still no good, set of injectors, coils, fuel regulator... the list of wild guesses goes on.

Why not get a compression check, oil pressure check, inspect the oil... then see what the diagnosis/prognosis is before spending money on a second hand motor that might be no better than the one you are pulling out.

• Like 1