Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Reason to change V7 STI 6 speed to 5 speed?

Hi, Im new on here, Im helping a mate buy a V7 WRX and he has found where the 6 speed has been replaced with a 5 speed.

Is there any good reason to do this or is something sus going on here. He mentioned something about DCCD.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea it is that one.

You think he is full of s***, can you please elaborate why you think this?

Is it just the 5 speed or is there other stuff?

Edit: didnt the Spec C only come out in 2002? Think thats what I read on Wiki.

• Admin

Maybe if it was a dog-box. 6 speed dog gears probably cost the earth and then some.

EDIT: That is an MY02 STi, even if it was built in 2001. I just think it's not a Spec C - the water spray bottle is in the engine bay, not the boot, and it has HIDs - Spec Cs all had projectors, to save weight. Has airbag and electric windows which spec-c had neither of. May well be a Prodrive though, at a guess I would say it was crashed (hence new headlights, bumper etc) and the engine got f*cked (radiator to cambelt), possibly the gearbox did too.

EDIT2: Kinda do-want that bonnet though ;o

EDIT3: It's still pretty cheap for an STi, depends on the k's on the new motor and just what sort of foolishness has been done to the gearbox. If it's got Cusco LSDs and some PPG goodies thrown into it then it's probably at least as good as the normal 6 speed.

Is it having the 5 speed enough to disregard it and look elsewhere? What is it that makes the 5 speed weaker than the 6 speeds.

We have a lot of questions to ask him mainly because it seems like such a good deal, but the box is something im not sure about.

Also, is there something we can look at on the motor (head and block) to ensure its a STI motor and not just a WRX (or even a legacy) motor

theres just... something not right about that....

i think that model sits at about 18psi boost standard? turbo should b a vf30 from memory?

ic spray, if it was a spec c, should be in the boot...

model of that engine should be ej207 if it is an sti...

yeah, theres something just, not right...

• General Member

start with the applied code on the VIN tag

a wrx is a wrx

and a sti is a sti :P red top motor, red stitching on the wheel/gear knob and seats

pictures speak a thousand words to guys on here

JoKer said:

a wrx is a wrx

and a sti is a sti :P red top motor, red stitching on the wheel/gear knob and seats

Actually an STI is a WRX STI.

:P

Ok, are there ways that the 5 speed can be strengthened? He says its been modified.

Dont tell me a full PPG or Quaife gear set either, we all know thats a bit unrealistic (but awesome).

What is it in the 5 speed that actually breaks, is it the synchros, the actual gears, the shafts, the centre diff etc and can that bit be upgraded.

there are 2 versions of the spec c/ra

1) dccd, manual windows, water sprayer in boot, 4pots,

2)no dccd, manual windows, watersprayer under bonnett, bremboes.

the prodrive came with blue dials, that one has them, I would say the 5 speed was put in for the dccd. would also say it has been thrashed, the v7 engine tends to last a while and that one has been replaced.....thrashed

if it has mechanical front diff then technically it is a modified gearbox, but you'd have to crack it open to see.

It could have uprated gears but no way of knowing, unless your planning on racing it I would buy something else

• General Member
 newsuba']

[quote name='JoKer said:

a wrx is a wrx

/quote]

Actually an STI is a WRX STI.

:P

dont you mean an Impreza :D

WRXONP said:

imo the best part of the STI is the 6 speed . . . that car will be hard to sell without it . .

and you shouldn't be able to destroy one unless you run it dry !

Nah can be destroyed with no mercy on the launch actually thought this as well but have seen one destroyed and it wasnt dry