Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2001 Legacy B4 RSK Q's

sushi2hot4u

Hello to all forum members, officially my first post and very excited about my NZ NEW 2001 B4 RSK Manual done 106K I just bought 2 days ago. Its my first Subaru and The car is stock standard right down to the exhaust except aftermarket wheels.

Now few questions ;D

First off, How reliable are they? B4 ive got has service history and 2 previous owners and looks exceptionally well maintained. Ive been warned from everyone not to buy a Subaru (note: none of them have actually ever had one themselves). I dont plan to thrash it 24/7 but would love to give the engine a good workout once in a while.

Second, im in wellington region and can anyone advice where to get cambelt done for a good price? Ive heard cambelt can cost alot due to boxer engine arrangement.

Lastly, ive heard Japanese B4's don't do too well on 95 octane as they were tuned for 100RON? Being NZ new, im guessing mine might be detuned to run on 95/98 octane? Need more advice/help with this.

Thank you

i run mine (bh) on 98 and it runs pretty good. well im sorry to say but once u own a subaru u will always own a subaru they are addictive. and the warning. well its the same as any car out there. if you dont look after it its going to break and unfortunatly when the wrx came out the young fellas saw a fast car for cheap and didnt maintain them and well they broke. just make sue you look after it man ull be sweet as. also welcome

petrolheadjman said:

Welcome :D

On the last point, the ECU automatically adapts, so you shouldn't have a problem with detonation

thank you guys ;D

Well coming from a family of RWD Turb'd Nissans so new experience in the B4. Im amazed with the amount of grip it has in corners, sticks like a glue no tail out stuff going on here LOL

Total noob with Subarus atm, I know its meant to have LSD but no traction control? Is it because it doesnt really need one? ???

• Admin
 sushi2hot4u said:

Total noob with Subarus atm, I know its meant to have LSD but no traction control? Is it because it doesnt really need one? ???

More or less... takes a lot of power or a very slippery surface to spin up all 4...

sushi2hot4u said:

Need someone in Wellington region to help me install HKS Turbo Timer in Legacy B4 RSK. Would be more than happy to buy them a box of beer if they into that ;D

Also if anyone has cheapish Smoked series BOOST GAUGE please let me know asap.

yip got a smoked series black auto gauge one lying around. also the timer is easy should be a 3 pin plug under dash going to ignition blue white and green wire use that plug for your timer it has 2 ends that unplug

resurrection.inc']

[quote name='sushi2hot4u said:

Need someone in Wellington region to help me install HKS Turbo Timer in Legacy B4 RSK. Would be more than happy to buy them a box of beer if they into that ;D

Also if anyone has cheapish Smoked series BOOST GAUGE please let me know asap.

/quote]

yip got a smoked series black auto gauge one lying around. also the timer is easy should be a 3 pin plug under dash going to ignition blue white and green wire use that plug for your timer it has 2 ends that unplug

Hey man sorry just ended up getting one off trade me came with a pillar and water temp gauge too. Also bought HKS Type-0 TT which needs hooking up so hopefully someone can help me do this coz ive never done it before but love to learn ;D should be free next weekend sometime if anyone willing to help :)

my first car was a 95 gt wagon. that was shit. then i got my self a 2002 b4 rsk which was much better. they tend to be quite reliable if you don't fiddle with the boost or fit aftermerket parts. also keep it serviced well and the car should last a long time. as for the cambelt, you will probably be looking at around $600- 1000 for it depending what else you want to have changed. another thing, as it is at the 100,000ks mark. you will most likely need a 100.000k service. which includes changing the gearbox, engine and rear dif oil,along with the power steering, brake fluid and radiator water(which changing the cambelt should include). it would be good to have the spark plugs and air filter checked also and replace if necessary. i paid over $2000 when i had mine done, so expect a large(ish) bill!!! :'(

sushi2hot4u said:

LOL good point, never drove AWDs before so dont know what will happen at the limit if i do commit ::) need to take it to a track probably

if you are going to take the car to a track, be ready for some mean understeer. because your car is standard and (lets be honest) its a heavy thing, it might not handle as well as you hope. if you decide that your car is gona be a keeper, then it would probably be worth it to get some aftermarket coil overs fitted to the car to lower and stiffen the ride. it will make a HUGE difference on a track with a good suspension set up. :)

• 2 weeks later...
 whatchain said:

my first car was a 95 gt wagon. that was s***. then i got my self a 2002 b4 rsk which was much better. they tend to be quite reliable if you don't fiddle with the boost or fit aftermerket parts. also keep it serviced well and the car should last a long time. as for the cambelt, you will probably be looking at around $600- 1000 for it depending what else you want to have changed. another thing, as it is at the 100,000ks mark. you will most likely need a 100.000k service. which includes changing the gearbox, engine and rear dif oil,along with the power steering, brake fluid and radiator water(which changing the cambelt should include). it would be good to have the spark plugs and air filter checked also and replace if necessary. i paid over $2000 when i had mine done, so expect a large(ish) bill!!! :'(

Yeah been asking around and replacing timing belt along with water pump, tensioner, idlers are around $800-$1000 which sounds reasonable to me.

Got Mag n turbo service card so will ring them during week and get full service done along with brake fluid flush and rear diff oil changed ;D

Good thing only paid $6000 for 2001 model done 106ks knowing it'll cost me around $1000 to bring it upto scratch.. Thanks for ever so helpful advice

aim said:

They're pretty reliable if you don't fiddle with the boost etc. My 2001 B4 is at 170k, all stock standard, two owners... sounds similar to yours :)

Def going to keep it stock, no plans on increasing boost ::) only looking to fit aftermarket bov preferably GREDDY but thats the end of my engine mods :)

sushi2hot4u']

[quote name='aim said:

They're pretty reliable if you don't fiddle with the boost etc. My 2001 B4 is at 170k, all stock standard, two owners... sounds similar to yours :)

/quote]

Def going to keep it stock, no plans on increasing boost ::) only looking to fit aftermarket bov preferably GREDDY but thats the end of my engine mods :)

Just 1 thing. mag and turbo don't do 100,000 ks services. meaning they dont do gearbox, diff, power steering fluids etc... only engine. you could go to oil changers or armstrong to get it done. i think the 100,000ks service at armstrong cost like $700-800 where as oil changers charge like $500-600 (up to you)

the TT legacy is actually quite hard to modify so probably best to leave it as it is. bov could be fun! haha y not

sushi2hot4u']

[quote name='aim said:

/quote]

If you do, make it plumbed back, otherwise you're not helping the engine.

;D really loving the sound of GREDDY Type RS BOVs if anyone has them for sale, PM me :D

Also want to do a Boost Gauge + water Temp gauge install, anyone in lower hutt/welly region can help me with that? Ive done I.C.E. work alot but never engine work so wanting to learn .