Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

understand Subaru Versions?

Hey guys, i am new to the forums and newish to subaru's.

I am having a hard time understanding the v4, v7 etc.

Just wondering if there is a site or page that explains it and the differences in the cars? Looking at getting a second Subaru and atm it seems the wrx sti 1998 Type r is what I am looking at. Just want to know the pro's/con's that people know about these.

Cheers in advance.

have a look here matey :) Model codes are found on the passenger side strut tower on the plaque.

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,60.0.html

and

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,19967.0.html

I cant seem to find anything describing the plain model changes and what was changed in which revision. It would be a good write up if someone could be bothered.

Guest hate-evoz

1992-1994 = V1 (Version 1 WRX)

1994-1995 = V2 (Version 2 WRX)

1996-1997 = V3 (Version 3 WRX)

1997-1998 = V4 (Version 4 WRX)

1998-1999 = V5 (Version 5 WRX)

1999-2000 = V6 (Version 6 WRX)

WRX STI Type R 1998 Model will be the V4 model (White dial dash, airbag steering wheel etc)

Pros - Treat it well , and it will be good to you.

Cons - Thrash it, and it will not be good to you.

V4 was the first of the facelift interior and was the same through to v6 (white face cluster).

loosely the motors fall into three categories for GC/GF stuff

v1/2 dunno what they called that one, but was coil on plug

v3/4 was the master power 4 long block (or phase1), had coil on manifold

v5/6 was phase 2 motor, and had offset coil on manifold

Version 1-6 are the classic shape. GC8 for sedan GF8 for wagon and GM8 for coupe

V1 STI------1994------ 247BHP

V2 STI---1994-1996---271BHP----Intake manifolds are painted red

V3 STI---1996-1997---276BHP----New bonnet and grill

V4 STI---1997-1998---276BHP----New dash and white faced electronic speedo

V5 STI---1998-1999---276BHP----New front bumper

V6 STI---1999-2000---276BHP----Minor cosmetic changes

Version 7 onwards are the new shape

My coupe is a GC8, so I'm not sure where the GM8 thing came from. Be careful specifying years. MYXX (Model Year) is less ambiguous as versions overlapped in calendar years. Easier again (and even less ambiguous) to use A->G from the fourth character in the applied model code. Also, saying V7 onwards are the 'new' shape implies there are no more shapes after the GD/ GG - so no such thing as a GR?

hate-evoz']

[quote name='BlkPnthr said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works, after V6 they're technically not called "version" anymore, but people still do. And WRX non-sti's aren't supposed to be "version" anything either, but again people do anyway

/quote]

How do you know this?

From about six years of being on this forum and owning the cars, as well as reading bits and pieces around the place. I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to most things, but those are a couple of facts I have in my small head ;)

yup the Versions ONLY apply to STi's non Sti's should be designated by model code, as the new Model year is always half way thru the year so a '96 actually starts in August and goes thru to july '97 ( i think it is august)

BUT saying that using version seems to be accepted AND does help eliminate alot of confusion

Johnnynz']

I love these conversations.

Now to grab the popcorn and await Newsubas arrival :D

Others have covered the salient points

;D

[quote name='BlkPnthr said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works, after V6 they're technically not called "version" anymore, but people still do. And WRX non-sti's aren't supposed to be "version" anything either, but again people do anyway

/quote]

How do you know this?

"Version" doesn't appear on any official Subaru information after the MY00 STI version 6

GC8E2DD said:

My coupe is a GC8, so I'm not sure where the GM8 thing came from. Be careful specifying years. MYXX (Model Year) is less ambiguous as versions overlapped in calendar years. Easier again (and even less ambiguous) to use A->G from the fourth character in the applied model code. Also, saying V7 onwards are the 'new' shape implies there are no more shapes after the GD/ GG - so no such thing as a GR?

Im not claiming to know, just passing on information I have read elsewhere.

"One common misconception is that every Impreza between 92-01 were "GC8's". The code breakdown is as follows; G - stands for Impreza, C - sedan, M - coupe, F - station wagon, The 8 stands for the 2.0 L turbo motor. So really, there are many combinations. A coupe STi would be GM8, sedan GC8, wagon GF8"

Its from this site:

http://www.subarujdm.com/jdm_impreza.htm

an if you have a nz new ver5 there tuned for 95 from factory and come with a 90mm afm an yellow injectors. (only talking from experience)

my model code GF8GK8D the K is means its a GT euro version ;D well thats what wingers told me.