Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

VF22, anyone running one in a ra gc8?

dzk

Really want to see how much lag these have as thinking of changing to one from a vf28, anyone in Wellington keen to take me for a ride in theirs? Will give $20 gas for their troubles, thanks in advance

Caspro, keen to see how it feels in a ra so if you have time, let me know.

I know the vf28 has better spool etc but the cars power dies off around 6500rpm, I am hoping the so called lag is offset by the closer gears.

Just have to know what they feel like compared against the vf 24,28,29 rather than buy a vf22 and not like it.

Ive had a vf22 and a vf29...id prefer the 29 as it spools and pulls from lower down...not as much punch up top but nowadays, unless your racing, the vf22 is useless. The vf29 will provide you the best bang for buck on the street.

The vf22 was good up top though...it used to go insane once the boost came on but then again ive had the td05/td06 too and id probably go back to that over the vf22 but have a 16 or 18g instead of the 22/25g i had. That thing at 20psi was a four wheel spinner.

From my experience you want to weigh up streetability and everyday drive ability over the masses of boost all at once which is what the vf29/30 will provide over the vf22 (albeit the vf22 isnt a huge turbo in terms of modern day turbos)

Sequence said:

I had a VF22 on my V5 Type R, Was fast but lost power as the revs climbed. My current car, V6 STi RA has the Vf28. Has great power through all the gears and holds it through the rev range.

sounds a bit weird, 22 should be good all the way to redline. maybe the tune was holding back? its a bit hard to judge 2 different turbos on 2 different setups

dzk said:

Caspro, keen to see how it feels in a ra so if you have time, let me know.

I know the vf28 has better spool etc but the cars power dies off around 6500rpm, I am hoping the so called lag is offset by the closer gears.

Just have to know what they feel like compared against the vf 24,28,29 rather than buy a vf22 and not like it.

My car is a race car though, so it is the higher power that I wanted. I'm trying to find the dyno of the VF28, but here is the VF22. That is just a power comparison, can't demo how the speed increase feels with the different gears.

ChrisDyno.jpg

Thanks Caspro, I am only running standard 1 bar boost and unsure of the downpipe diameter but definitely not factory as no cat but rest of exhaust standard. How do you work out the torque from that graph? It says 2107nm of torque but my car is rated 343nm of torque?

I guess another option could be vf34 from a spec c bug eye instead of vf22, seem to be similar price from Alltech (If I buy local)

http://webshop.turbo.co.nz/index.php?Action=PRO&STK=RHF5HB+VF22+T

http://webshop.turbo.co.nz/index.php?Action=PRO&STK=RHF5HB+VF34+T

To get back on topic, my experiences with it and the RA box:

If you're running only 1bar of boost - it maybe insufficient to spool the VF22 properly. Unless you run more boost 1.2-1.3 bar, stick with a smaller turbo.

I've used the VF22, 23, 24, 28 on a std 5spd RA box, the VF24/28 did offer better response for normal daily driving. However they are useless on the track - run out of puff halfway down the straight on Manfeild/Taupo tracks!

Then I went to a possumlink and a VF22 - on a road tune; it was surprisingly smooth on 18-20psi, didn't really notice much lag - and as Nick mentioned earlier it was still pulling when 5th gear was near redlining (about 220km/hr).

For auto-cross use where 1st and 2nd are normally used; again not very practical - the smaller turbo or TD04 equiv is better suited.

So it depends if you are going to do autocrosses or track work? That would decide what turbo you're going to run, unless you want to run multiple tunes/maps on your ecu and change the turbo to suit?

slystiguy said:

alil off topic but was is the actual difference between 23 and 24?

23 has slightly better top-end, it's actually the better all-round turbo

whereas all the 24, 28, 29 tend to run out of puff earlier

someone mentioned a VF34 earlier? that's the modern equiv of the older 23.

kamineko']

[quote name='Sequence said:

I had a VF22 on my V5 Type R, Was fast but lost power as the revs climbed. My current car, V6 STi RA has the Vf28. Has great power through all the gears and holds it through the rev range.

/quote]

sounds a bit weird, 22 should be good all the way to redline. maybe the tune was holding back? its a bit hard to judge 2 different turbos on 2 different setups

Yea well from my understanding the 22 should hold good! But My 28 in my current car just keeps pushing, Its insane!

Thanks for the all the responses so far. It has given me a bit more to think about. Stoffa mentioned p20 on a vf28 should be equal to a vf23, so I guess for now, that might be the cheaper option, swapping the p18 for a p20 housing and going from there.

Quite good to have the dyno plots up as well to give an idea of the differences between the turbos.

spark_38 said:

Here we go, dyno plots with a VF28 tuned on a Link G4 plug-in. Once I reassemble car and get it retuned with the VF22, we shall see the difference... notice after 5,500rpm it tapers off quite quickly - peak torque at 5067rpm

power.jpg

wonder if you still got your old dyno plot when u have your vf28 which u got 180kw? vs my vf22 200kw-ish from STM/Shred same mods

I have got a VF22 on my v4 coupe,close ratio box,and prefer it to the VF23 i swapped from.

The 22 is a bit slower to build boost but once spinning it pulls good.

With the close ratio box you are cruising at around 3500rpm @ 110ks and the turbo is just below its boost threshold,so the power is right there when needed but not coming in at highway speed.Thats how i like it. :)