Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Race Licence Information

funkytown

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/resources/competitors/licensing-grades

Manual 35 has been approved and is currently in print with a release date scheduled for 10 April 2012. As part of this process there have been major rewrites of some of the Schedules, the main points of which we will explain below.

The most obvious change is that as a result of many requests the entire Manual has been recombined into one book. The Manual will still be available on the website as a series of pdf’s, which will also be able to be downloaded as a single zip file if required.

Schedule D has been revamped and split into separate drugs and alcohol parts. The drug section now makes reference to Drug Free Sport NZ and the World Anti-Doping Code and we have clarified the Anti-Doping Tribunal and incorporated into the NSC where appropriate.

The main changes to the Manual concern Schedule L. As part of the review into the licensing structure this Schedule has been completely rewritten. The licences now reflect the FIA standard of naming as follows:

[table]

[tr][td]Old Licence Grade [/td][td]New Licence Grade[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]ClubSport [/td][td]M Grade[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]National Race [/td] [td]C1 Grade and C2 Grade[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Inernational [/td] [td]No Change[/td][/tr]

[/table]

There are also new qualification requirements for each of these grades. For M Grade (or Temporary M Grade) the candidate will have to sit a 10 question test based on the ‘Drivers Guide’ booklet. This means that Stewards will be required to administer the test for Temp M Grade (Day Licences) at the event. For junior drivers there is now a minimum physical fitness requirement. A Drivers Guide will also be included with the Manual mailout.

For C Grade and/or M Grade the examination is currently the same as previous and a pass will qualify the candidate for a C1 / R1 Grade. The upgrade to C2/R2 requires signoffs from events entered. Please note that all current holders of a National grade licence will automatically receive a C2 and/or R2 licence when they renew their competition licence.

For upgrades to INT licences a driver will have to hold (or previously have held) a C2/R2 licence and pass a written test or qualify at a Licensed Driving School.

Another change to Sch L is the formation of the MSNZ Competition Licence Panel. This panel will be used to decide on licence applications / upgrades for those competitors who ‘fall outside the square’ (such as junior driver restrictions etc).

Schedule LS has also been rewritten with new standards applied to Driving Instructors Licences. Driving Instructors do not need to maintain an international licence any more, they may hold a C2/R2 licence or have previously held a C2/R2 licence and have competition history of more than 1 year.

Schedule Q has been changed so that the template has been separated from the Manual. This will allow changes to the templates to be completed without the need for a Manual Amendment.

The Technical Department has reviewed Schedule A and there are too many changes to detail here, it is recommended that you have a good look through it when you receive the Manual. They have also reviewed Sch AA and made a number of changes in that Schedule to bring it in line with Schedule A.

The Race section of Schedule H has been revamped, making it simpler and standardising some of the names etc for intervention vehicles. Organisers of circuit events will see that the Clubmans requirements have been revised, as have the manning requirements for event testing as part of a meeting. As part of the Sch H rewrite there will be new template for safety plans for circuits which will be available on the website.

The Manual will be posted out prior to the effective date, however if due to the vagaries of NZ Post, you haven’t received your copy by then it will be available on the website from the morning of the 10th. Additionally, copies of the Drivers Guide and the tests will be also available on the website, however if you require additional hard copies, please contact the office with your individual requirements.

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/resources/competitors/licensing-grades

Licensing - Grades

A prerequisite to the issue of a MotorSport New Zealand competition licence is that the applicant is a financial member of one of our member clubs. Applicants should use the Competition Licence Application Form (A001) unless stated otherwise.

ClubSport

A ClubSport licence is valid for all ClubSport Basic and Advanced events. ClubSport licences can be purchased through MotorSport Online. For further details on what events are classed as ClubSport refer to the ClubSport section of the website.

All competitors are expected to be in a physical state that enables them to declare on Event entry forms that at the time of the Event they are not suffering from any disability of any kind whether permanent or temporary that is likely to detrimentally affect their control of their automobile or their fitness to drive in the Event.

National

MotorSport NZ issues two types of National licences, National Race and National Rally. National Race licences are valid for all ClubSport and National Race events, excluding all Rally events and events run under an International permit. National Rally licences are valid for all ClubSport and National Rally events, excluding all Race events and events run under an International permit. To gain a National licence the applicant will need to first pass the National exam for the grade they are applying for.

All competitors at time of application and renewal for a National grade licence must submit the Medical Aptitude Declaration Form (A003A). Find the form here

Its purpose is to enable the MotorSport NZ Medical Assessor to determine whether the competitor has the level of physiological and physical condition required to control an automobile in either a Race or Rally Event. MotorSport NZ may seek further information from the applicant, in which case either you or your Doctor will be contacted directly by the MotorSport NZ Medical Assessor.

International

MotorSport New Zealand issues International licences of the following grades: Race Grade A or B (Category One), Race Grade C, Rally Grade and Historic Grade H.

A prerequisite to the issue of an International Licence of any grade is the passing of a medical examination. This is obtained by completion of the Medical Examination Form (A003) in conjunction with the examining Doctor of your choice. The completed form is dispatched with the appropriate fee directly to the MotorSport NZ Medical Assessor for evaluation. After evaluation, the Medical Assessor shall either issue the Medical Clearance Card or advise the applicant of the reasons for refusal.

For qualification creteria for specific grades of International licence refer to Appendix One, Schedule L, Article 3.6.

Entrants

An Entrants licence entitles the holder being a person, firm or body corporate other than the driver of the vehicle, to enter a vehicle in any Event or Sanctioned Series organised in accordance with either the Sporting Code of FIA or MotorSport NZ. An Entrant’s Licence issued by MotorSport NZ is valid for all International Events inside or outside New Zealand, along with all Events of National or ClubSport status in New Zealand. To apply for an Entrants licence use Entrants Licence Application Form (A001C).

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/content/licence-examinations

Licence Examinations

A prerequisite to the issue of a Competition Licence is the passing of the National Exam for the grade of licence applied for. The following documents contain questions that you may be asked during the exam. To help you prepare to the exam please refer to the MotorSport Manual. Once you have prepared for the exam you will need to arrange a time with a licence examiner to sit the exam. Contact details can be found at the bottom of this page. Once the exam has been signed off send the completed application form, exam answer paper and medical declaration to MotorSport New Zealand.

M Grade Exam

Candidates are encouraged to either view the ‘live’ copy of the Drivers Guide on the MotorSport NZ website - (http://www.motorsport.org.nz), or obtain a copy form the MotorSport NZ Office. The M Grade Licence examination will be a written 10 question examination, containing questions selected from this master list of 20 questions. Candidates are to correctly answer 8 out of 10 questions without reference to the Drivers’ Guide. M Grade Exam

C Grade Exam

Candidates are encouraged to either view the ‘live’ copy of the current Manual or obtain all amendments to the manual from the MotorSport NZ website: (http://www.motorsport.org.nz/resources/motorsport-manual)

The C Grade Licence examination is divided into two parts; a written (multi choice) examination and an oral examination. The following master question sheet contains all the questions that will be included in both the written examination (Part 1) and the oral examination (Part 2).

A. Written Examination:

The written examination will consist of one of three papers containing 40 questions selected from this master list of 60 questions. Each candidate will be given one of the three examination papers and asked to circle the correct answers. The written test is an “open book” test. Candidates are to answer all questions correctly and may refer to the manual to identify the answers.

B. Oral Examination:

The oral examination is broken into two parts:

• Part A consisting of 10 questions that the candidate must answer without reference to the Manual.
  • Part B consisting of 5 questions that the candidate may refer to the Manual if required.

What candidates will need to bring to the examination:

• A MotorSport NZ Manual (optional)
  • A pen
  • Your completed A001 Competition Application Licence form
  • Your completed A003A Medical Aptitude Clearance Application form
  • The application fee

C Grade Licence Exam

R Grade Exam

Prior to sitting the examination candidates must in particular have gained a good level of knowledge of the National Sporting Code, Appendix Two - Driver & Vehicle Safety and Appendix Three - Schedule R.

R Grade Licence Exam

Licence Examiner Contact Details

Click here to search for Licence Examiners.

View Licence Examiner Contact Details List as PDF

If anyone is wanting to sit licences Manawaty Car Club is doing a test evening next Thursday 7:30pm in Palmerston North.

I will be sitting my R1 test and QYKCHK will be doing her C1 and R1 tests.

Get on FB and check out Motorsport Manawatu , details there.

Or go onto the Manawatu Car Club website

Www.motorsportmanawatu.org.nz and send an email to Julian.

so basically even for the clubsport license you have to do a test now?

This all seeems a bit poorly timed, it was only last week during the agm that everyone is saying numbers are way down in msnz affiliated car clubs, making it more difficult to get a license is not going to help matters.

Yes you do.

From what i can see it's to try and curb the amount of people who have been doing a lot of events and never needing to know the basic rules.

I know there are a lot of people who have done quite a few events and only ever run on a day licence.

And as far as i am concerned if your going to drive a caged car in an event you should have a basic knowelege of rules and safety procedures.

madmike said:

Yes you do.

From what i can see it's to try and curb the amount of people who have been doing a lot of events and never needing to know the basic rules.

I know there are a lot of people who have done quite a few events and only ever run on a day licence.

And as far as i am concerned if your going to drive a caged car in an event you should have a basic knowelege of rules and safety procedures.

+1

madmike said:

Yes you do.

I agree, not going to help the decline in competitiors though.

However, in my experience if you have gone to the extend of caging the car you tend to have some idea of the rules, not in all cases I agree but most do.

I think the main problem with day licenses are the non caged cars that enter events and behave like absolute morons. I have seen this plenty of times at pukekohe where car forums organise track days and the drivers have absolutley no clue about basic saftey measures, they need to be regulated more. Though I know this can't really be done by msnz.

If you make the license process more difficult it just deters people from taking the correct route and getting a licensee in the first place.