Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

using avgas as a octane booster?

howdy, I can get ahold of some avgas quite easily, just wondering when I have to run 95 can I add a few liters of avgas to the tank to boost the octane to 98 or higher? obviously don't want too much lead in the fuel other wise i'll kill o2 sensors

I've heard that avgas is around 103 octanes. It's just a matter of straight proportion so if you add 30 litres of avgas to 30 litres of 95 then your tank will have (103-95)/2+95=99 octanes in it.

If you add just a few litres ie 5 litres to a tank of 55 litres of 95 (for example) then the octane rating of your tank goes up just .67 to 95.67 octanes.

So adding a few litres - not so useful.

Can you remember roughly how much that stuff was when you bought it Steve? Going by that product page it looks like the best part of a whole can would take a full Subby tank (~55 litres) of ~98 to around ~100. I see it for sale on Ebay for $100USD a can! Sadly a bit too expensive for me even for just event use.

My car is tuned for 98, I went to queenstown and took 45 extra litres in gas cans but still didn't have enough, ended up trying a 50/50 mix of 98 and 95 and could feel a small amount of missing at low revs/load but didn't get any knock, ended up running 50/50 98 and 95 with a bottle of octane booster and it was mint.

FYI BP Cromwell sell octane booster off the shelf $20 a bottle

• 5 years later...

Hey fellas - digging up an old thread but....

Does anyone know whats involved in tuning an engine to run on a mix of avgas and 91 fuel (or even straight avgas - unsure how good that will be)

Note - its an overseas car (so nothing to do with legality of things in NZ) 

Questions:

any ideas on target AFR for avgas (for best power)

does it indeed take additional timing without hitting knock

possible to run higher boost with avgas mix

Wanting to heat form ppl who have used/tuned for this fuel

i know few people here run that (for race use) so would be good to get some comments on that

10 hours ago, gotasuby said:

Can run more timing than unleaded. Only usefull if knock limited. The dilution of the oil and the residue left on spartan plugs, ports and exhaust are a pain though. Same lambda targets as unleaded. 

thanks for that bro!

is it the same afr targets for straight avgas vs say 50/50 mixed with pump gas?