Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Turbo Upgrade

canty_rex

Hey All,

Want to upgrade my turbo and would like some suggestions on what would be good to change to. Currently have a 99 wrx non sti (will have to check what turbo I am running) But i believe it is factory. Would like to keep the top mount setup for now but would just like a little bit more pull without spending big on a new front mount setup etc etc. Also getting a little bit of compressor surge I believe on my current one so hopefully this will change that a little. Have got access to a v7 top mount if needed if people think that the current intercooler is not up to the task as through searching through the forums I know they are not the best intercooler that subaru have but on thier fabulous machines.

Thanks for having a look and your suggestions

You have a TD04. Few options depending on weather you want it off the line or up top.

Most people seem to go for the VF22 but there are lots of other options as most of the factory turbo\'s bolt straight on with the exception of the twin scrolls and the TD05 with has a bent intake.

standard should be a td04, good upgrade is a vf22,23,24,30... best i\'c that will directly bolt in for you would be a v3/4 sti one, as it\'s got a lower pressure drop across the core and better flow rate than the one you currently have on there. to get the v7 one to fit will take.... a little bit of modification.

nah, trim down the clutch reservoir and bash the mounts around with a hammer ;)

if you want to keep response, go for a 23 or 30... 24 is a little slower to spool, and the 22 is slower again, but once the 24 or 22 spools up it\'ll hold pressure through to redline, i\'ve heard that the 23 and 30 can sometimes run out of puff.

what you could do, is get hold of a GOOD ebc, and get it set up right, to about 13psi, on your standard td04 you\'ll be surprised the amount of difference it will make.

Plenty of info on turbo upgrades on here. Vf24/28/29 are the small ones all pretty much the same. Then VF23/30. VF22 is the biggest of single scroll I believe.

I also think all V5/6 came with yellows and defo run the same afm. ECU should be an A8 and the sti equivalent a J2. I have a J2 up for grabs next week depending if this tune happens or not.

You will get a gain just changing turbo I had the same setup with a td04 and upgraded to vf23. Good upgrade but used a lot of gas on boost. Boost cut 14.5ish my stock boost was 12psi.

Biggest upgrade you could do with your intercooler is use an sti y pipe thats where the gain is. Or better still use the V7- one with an sti y pipe. Just remember you should really put a scoop on that matches it sizewise.

Hey, Thanks so far for all the advice and comments. Mine does have yellow tops and I am the third owner of it. The forst one bought it off the lot with dealer ks on the clock running it till it did the BEB at 120k Has had a rebuild since then and is now up to 25k on the rebuild. And yes that is definatly in the scope of next years tasks is the bigger scoop definatly

evowrx said:

PVf24/28/29 are the small ones all pretty much the same. Then VF23/30. VF22 is the biggest of single scroll I believe.

some mis information further up but - this ^^^^ is truth. also vf34 bolts up and will output similar top end to the 22 and will have a lower boost threshold (better). td05 is about the same as the 22 with the caution around the inlet as Joker has pointed out.

the sti and BH standard TMIC\'s are proven to be very efficient. as are the WRX ones - just swap on the STI inlet piping to the IC and the flow alot better as evowrx correctly points out.

vorigan said:

cant bet this vf36 core and cover into a p20/18 turbine housing bolt in turn key

that is a mad combo right there

other than as ppl have pointed out

vf - 24 28 29 30 22 34

all will fit straight in (listed in order of preference - most desireable being the 34)

v7 wrx cooler will fit with a bracket mod (have done that before)

v7 sti one will fit with a bit more fiddling (but worth the hassle)

add a water spray setup if u can as well

funkytown']

[quote name='evowrx said:

PVf24/28/29 are the small ones all pretty much the same. Then VF23/30. VF22 is the biggest of single scroll I believe.

/quote]

some mis information further up but - this ^^^^ is truth. also vf34 bolts up and will output similar top end to the 22 and will have a lower boost threshold (better). td05 is about the same as the 22 with the caution around the inlet as Joker has pointed out.

the sti and BH standard TMIC\'s are proven to be very efficient. as are the WRX ones - just swap on the STI inlet piping to the IC and the flow alot better as evowrx correctly points out.

I thought from very reliable internet crawling that VF30 and 34 were the same just journal vs balls.

If looking at a TD05 just ask if its bent inlet or straight. I thought subaru only made a bent? So straight is non gen? Someone confirm.

TD05 big 16g is similar to vf22 performance wise more noticable up top correct?

canty_rex said:

Hey All,

Want to upgrade my turbo and would like some suggestions on what would be good to change to. Currently have a 99 wrx non sti (will have to check what turbo I am running) But i believe it is factory. Would like to keep the top mount setup for now but would just like a little bit more pull without spending big on a new front mount setup etc etc. Also getting a little bit of compressor surge I believe on my current one so hopefully this will change that a little. Have got access to a v7 top mount if needed if people think that the current intercooler is not up to the task as through searching through the forums I know they are not the best intercooler that subaru have but on thier fabulous machines.

version 5 sti will have vf28 in it, I took one out of my car, factory standard. I would go vf22 you can get these for 200 bucks I did and worked perfectly.

ballsrburning']

[quote name='canty_rex said:

Hey All,

/quote]

version 5 sti will have vf28 in it, I took one out of my car, factory standard. I would go vf22 you can get these for 200 bucks I did and worked perfectly.

Hes non sti. Often find any of the forementioned turbos under $250 everyone needs monies these days.