Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

The "Hose 10" Mod - BE/BH

Marky

This got mentioned once or twice recently so figured I\'d chuck it up (if I\'ve gotten the workings behind it wrong, tell me)

What is it: It\'s changing the hoses to the same as a rev: d

What does it do: It gives you more boosty boosty and louder wooshy noises

Why do I want that: MORE POWER ARGH ARGH ARGH (tm Tim the Toolman Taylor)

Time taken: Approx 2 minutes +- 1 for fat/childlike hands

Quick explanation:

The way the legacy is setup out of the box, you will see a hose coming off the BOV, which then tees off to join to "hose 10" - and then feeds directly back into the intake pipe. The other side of the tee goes to the manifold as per normal. Hose 10 is (from memory) the bleed off from the wastegate boost control solenoid back to atmosphere.

Why is this like this? I have no idea. All I see is a bit of WTF subaru stahp what are you doing - the way I see it, you\'re bleeding off boost to the BOV, and directly out of the manifold straight back to the inlet. It also means that when in a vacuum condition, the BOV isn\'t getting a full vacuum signal - also not ideal. It might be a way to limit overboost? Whatever the story, it got changed with rev D anyway.

Result being - unresponsive /quiet BOV, potentially leaky BOV under boost, and in my case I genuinely thought it was something some monkey had done to my car aftermarket for whatever reason, not factory fitment.

Fix - remove the tee piece, run hose 10 straight to inlet pipe - that\'s IT

Result becomes: The 8 or 10 psi you see on primary tends to rise, and same goes for whatever you get on secondary. In my case it was causing the factory BOV to leak under boost and actually limiting boost on primary, regardless of what I did to raise it. The other side to this is that because you are applying pressure (from manifold) to the outlet of the boost control solenoid (hose 10) you are limiting how much is able to be bled off - when you give it a straight path, it will naturally bleed off more and tend to run higher boost.

Car becomes noticably more responsive, and if you have an aftermarket BOV it will get some volume now. My own experience also was it sorted the high / slightly erratic idle the car had as well - an open hose from manifold to atmosphere will do that I guess.

Risks... Uh, nothing? I\'ve never noticed any ill effects from this - however if boost is starting to go through the roof might pay to lower it, better safe than sorry, more is not always better

End result below - hose straight to BOV, and tucked underneath it is the hose number 10 going straight to intake pipe.

IMG_20130106_112753.jpg

• Like 1

Even if you literally just block off that one coming off the blue T piece you\'ll be fine, that\'s all you need to do

It just tidies things up a little if you run a straight hose to the BOV and get rid the the T pieces tucked under the BOV recirc hose is all.

Marky said:

No

Plug it directly into the inlet pipe, just before the primary turbo inlet. See in my pic you can see it under the BOV - very far right of the picture.

Don\'t make me come over there

SO basically.. I\'m connecting the hose that was disconnected from the T into hose 10 ?

From what I can see the hose from the T goes back to infront of the turbo intake.

nickmcgill']

[quote name='Marky said:

No

Plug it directly into the inlet pipe, just before the primary turbo inlet. See in my pic you can see it under the BOV - very far right of the picture.

Don\'t make me come over there

/quote]

SO basically.. I\'m connecting the hose that was disconnected from the T into hose 10 ?

From what I can see the hose from the T goes back to infront of the turbo intake.

No... you want to simply remove/block the one from the BOV line, that is it. Hose 10 is still going to the same place, in front of turbo inlet.

Ryn - try an ecu reset, that said if its not blocked right then it would explain a bad idle.

Yep

Just remove the tee-d off hose, put a straight pipe from mani to BOV (as per any other car), and from memory down at the inlet pipe there\'s a plastic T for the hose you removed and 10 to both join to the inlet pipe - just whip that out and put 10 straight onto the inlet instead

If you want to block it off use a plastic insert and just use wire heatshrink over the end instead of tape, seals and is a lot more durable

Or do what the previous owner of my car did and use crap loads of electrical tape and rusty screws...

• Joker unpinned this topic