Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

RSK B4 engine overhaul/conversion help!!!

soobie spinner

Well to start off, i have a 2000 RSK B4 that i absolutely love and i bought it at a good price 2 years ago. It has done 280000 km\'s at the moment (wonderful i know, shows soobies CAN last) and it\'ll get to 300000 kms near the end of the year. I have 2 options that I want to propose. 1st option: when it reaches 300000, I can give it the overhaul of its lifetime, replacing seals, maintenance etc etc whatever gets done when an overhaul happens. This will let me keep the twin turbo set up and carry on as how I was before.

or

2nd option: replace the twin turbo engine and get a single turbo engine, eg: STi WRX and get that fitted in and running(I understand that there is most probably a bit of work to be done to make this happen). This will let me have the fun and thrills of a single turbo in the car that I love.

This is all just an up in the air idea at the moment. I\'ve only just thought about it because I\'ll have to take action in a little while. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. Some people will probably say, dump the B4, get a WRX that\'s already done! The thing is, I want to keep my B4 cause I love it(can\'t emphasize it enough!).

Thanks very much in advance for any help and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sam

It\'s your money, but I wouldn\'t be rebuilding it for the hell of it - 300km is a milestone but it\'s "just a number", but it\'s as good an excuse to do something as anything else I guess

Most cost effective plan (in my eyes at least) would be to find a version 5 or 6 motor complete - swap that with the existing one you have - there is some wiring work involved but 95% of everything stays as it is (gazzy has done a how-to guide if you would be DIY\'ing it) and you\'re away with a minimum of fuss

Then you have a going (albiet high KM) complete twin turbo engine you can onsell to recoup at least some of your costs.

If the motor is coming out regardless (rebuild/replace) then you\'d be silly not to take the opportunity to convert it to single. Done right it can look like a 100% factory fitted install, and you\'ll never look back - it does transform the way the car drives for the better.

The single turbo conversion isn\'t the hard/expensive part here - it\'s just tossing up rebuild / replace of the motor itself, which only you can do the sums on and decide which way is worth going. Any second hand motor is a gamble as with anything, depends on how much $$ you want to sink into it

food for thought - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-560048739.htm

Marky said:

It\'s your money, but I wouldn\'t be rebuilding it for the hell of it - 300km is a milestone but it\'s "just a number", but it\'s as good an excuse to do something as anything else I guess

Most cost effective plan (in my eyes at least) would be to find a version 5 or 6 motor complete - swap that with the existing one you have - there is some wiring work involved but 95% of everything stays as it is (gazzy has done a how-to guide if you would be DIY\'ing it) and you\'re away with a minimum of fuss

Then you have a going (albiet high KM) complete twin turbo engine you can onsell to recoup at least some of your costs.

If the motor is coming out regardless (rebuild/replace) then you\'d be silly not to take the opportunity to convert it to single. Done right it can look like a 100% factory fitted install, and you\'ll never look back - it does transform the way the car drives for the better.

The single turbo conversion isn\'t the hard/expensive part here - it\'s just tossing up rebuild / replace of the motor itself, which only you can do the sums on and decide which way is worth going. Any second hand motor is a gamble as with anything, depends on how much $$ you want to sink into it

food for thought - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-560048739.htm

yeah that\'s quite a good point. reading this has made me go more towards the swap option hahaha. ive already got an offer to consider! and im sure there\'l be a few more. ive got till roughly the end of the year to deicde so yeah. and it\'l be good to check it all out by myself in the swap. thanks marky.

I was in the same boat.

I was planning on rebuilding mine at 300k but it blew BeB at 266 sadly.

Luckily I was able to find a rebuilt long block at a good price only downside is now is that I\'ve got this nice new engine but everything else is old and doesn\'t work as good as a newer one which is kinda depressing.

On a side note it is nicer to drive with better power and torque etc.

Don\'t rebuild for the hell of it. Use your money to either do the single conversion now OR save it to cover the rebuild if/when your engine does go. Rebuild > 2nd hand unknown condition engine imo. My TT engine lasted well past 300km before it gave up so you have plenty of life left in it to save up and consider your options.

If you want to rebuild then you can look around for a good block with reasonably round bores. Find some older EJ20 pistons too as they have longer skirts and will keep the build cost down (plus they\'re probably an upgrade) if you\'re concerned.

well i have a single turbo engine (long block only) from a 2000 forester with 150kms, yud need to run the forester ECU or a non STI ECU as this engine is 9:1 compression ratio.. or you could fit sti pistons in this block then run a v5/6 STI ECU, wanting $800 am in Timaru