Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 sti info

Did all v7 stis get hid headlights?

How much difference is there in a tuned stock v7 sti and tuned pre v7 sti in performance. Obviously its a bigger car with smaller turbo in some cases but has anyone had both?

Do they suffer from the chronic understeer in pre v7 frames?

What boost do they run stock?

How complicated is this carberry rom business? is it a map you load on and can leave afm connected or need to unplug and so forth?

Havent got the oppoturnity to look one over where Im located or I would. Next time we\'re in aucks might have to nip into fast fours lol.

Sti wagons didn\'t get hid\'s

Stock, they are pretty quick. With a retune... Well, depends on your tuner, if you get someone that\'s f**king good, you can squeeze a lot out of it

Carberry... Speed density tuning map. Basically a group N rally tune. Does my head in, but then again, i havn\'t spent much time with it.

Understeer? Dude, it\'s a subie. Stiffer swaybars may help. That and some extra caster. The wagon understeers a bit, not honda type but it\'s there.

Very capable cars. Soooo much fun :)

Boost? Standard (iirc) is 18 psi tapering to about 16 at redline. Some here have daily driven on 24psi, with supporting bolt ons. I run 22, with a turbo back and intake work. It gets up and goes, but is still reasonably economical around town ( tuned ecu, my stock tune was abysmal on gas around town)

evowrx said:

All NZ new got HIDs

How much difference is there in a tuned stock v7 sti and tuned pre v7 sti in performance. Obviously its a bigger car with smaller turbo in some cases but has anyone had both?

How long is a piece of string ?

;D

Not as understeery.

Mind you I wouldn\'t say pre-v7 was chronic - how much understeer you get is largely governed by driving style.

How complicated is this carberry rom business? is it a map you load on and can leave afm connected or need to unplug and so forth?

Dunno

Havent got the oppoturnity to look one over where Im located or I would. Next time we\'re in aucks might have to nip into fast fours lol.

Weren\'t you in love with an Evo 7 a few pages back ?

:D

I found putting swaybar in the present wagon made it so much fun to drive just wondered if they improved it at all being a heavier car. I know they are built to understeer from factory tho.

As per what I said Ill take a v7/8 sti over an evo and sti would have to be sedan I couldnt sacrifice the brembos and wagons have a funny face to arse transition.

Here is a cheapish v7 sti wagon which already has the guards (Just needs the brembos)

I know your preference is sedan but

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/wrx/auction-569565084.htm

Pro drive sedan from a dealer

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/wrx/auction-571208756.htm

or

www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/wrx/auction-568076128.htm

Probably highish k\'s for what you are after though.

A lot of potential on them

Good solid engines

A tune even with stocck turbo does good

Economy is tune dependent but can be dialed in as Ecu is very tunable

Put a td06 and Walbro fmic and exhaust and u can get 235-240kw on stock injectors and maf (225 on tmic just to combat the heat)

Get a RA heheh even better

• Admin

Going to a 23mm rear bar made it perhaps 3000 times more balanced in terms of understeer. One of the best handling mods I\'ve done to it.

They run 18psi standard, adding a flowy downpipe and exhaust will result in up to 20psi.

They come standard with a VF30, that\'s a pretty large turbo in VF-land... I think it\'s the largest VF-series turbo with a journal bearing and as such it feels kinda laggy coming from a TD04.

The Spec C\'s came standard with non-HIDs, they were an option though. I\'ve never seen a non-spec-c without HIDs.

AVCS is king low down, IMO they are more drivable off-boost than the GF/GCs. They feel a lot more refined. They\'re quieter and less bouncy, even when you put in hard shocks and a big exhaust. The interior is a quantum leap ahead, especially the dash, again in my opinion though.

You don\'t need a big slow TD06 to get 235kw... mine has a VF34, same size as VF30, it got 231kw and is incredibly spooly.... which I bet a TD06 isn\'t.

No, have seen one or two v7 sti\'s without.

Hard to say in terms of dyno power but down low pre 4k the difference is night and day in terms of drivability.

I have adjustable whiteline sway bars front and rear in mine and had to adjust them to be less tail happy so yes the understeer is easily fixed.

About 18psi tapering to 14 (Depends on car, weather etc.)

Not too complicated (similar to any other speed density) but the person tuning it obviously needs to know what they are doing.

Also that prodrive someone linked before isn\'t actually a prodrive model (no roof scoop, regular yellow gauges, no prodrive front bumper or sideskirts).

Oh hell ya if u can find a vf34 fully endorse getting it

The td06 is lagier compared to to it easily

Wen lagier compared to the vf30 mind u

But they do have a nice nice top end

But in all things being equal get the v7sti hehe won\'t regret it

I know whats on tm Im under 60 the last seems a good score but obviously buying something finished and certed is always cheaper in the long run. Hid are awesome definitely worth getting.

I want something relatively stock up to 145km. Just want to do intake/exhaust/swaybar/reflash/adjusties/wheels. Im a grown up you see. ;)

Wheelbase gc vs gd? I could look it up but you smart people know so why waste 5min of my life.

Prefer stock bov considering the car would have next to no noise with el headers and I hate hearing pish pish pish up the road and makes you think wooh casper got a bov.

I remember reading the original NZ autocar review of the V7 STI back in 2000

They remarked that it was much more solid feeling than previous cars, much more comfortable and had an amazingly nice positive gearbox

One thing they did say though was the factory ECU tune was very bad, They dynoed it and it only made 165kw atw which is less than a stock v6 sti (170-180ATW) and the v8 (180-190kw atw) However they also remarked that after a remap was done (in that instance by torque performance) and a turbo back exhaust was installed (was an NZ made system, unsure of brand) it increased power to 200kw atw with the potential for slightly more with a free flowing intake and larger fuel pump.

Handling wise there is a great article on whitelines website which shows the effect of a white line antilift kit and rear sway bar taking something like 3 seconds off a lap around a circuit and made it much more precise and tight feeling on the road.

Biggest thing they said was that the factory ecu map was really bad as it tended to bog off the line and unless it was launched hard it only managed low 7\'s to 100kph. When launched properly they managed a best of 6 flat (about 2/3 of a second slower than the V6 and V8 sti)

So I would say in totally stock form it would be made a meal of by even a stock v5,6 and definitely 8 but with just a couple grand spent on ecu tune and exhaust and 500 bucks for a rear sway bar and antilift kit the car was literally transformed.

So in essence if you are totally committed or somehow restricted to keeping it totally stock I would not buy a V7sti if you are concerned about how it might compare to other models BUT if you are willing to mod it very slightly you will soon have hugely fast tight handling car that even including the cost of mods will embarrass a stock V8sti for less money.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or would like to some help finding a reputable company to help you modify or tune your car :)

Lunchie

One final point and I only mention this because I am getting older and as such concerned about the safety of family and friends that ride in my cars, the V6 and older sti models only received a 2/5 star safety rating where as the v7-10 all got 4/5 star and the current V11 hatch from 2007 on wards is a full 5 star car.

Still even that must be taken with a grain of salt as the v4,5,6 cars do have a very strong metal strip that runs through the front and side pillars of the car which many fire fighters have commented on as being extremely strong and requiring the jaws of life to cut through.

SP00N said:

VERY TRUE

the stock tune is very knocky and the gains to be had are a LOT even with just an exhaust plus retune

have done a fait few and always picks a lot of thrust and better comming on boost too

cheers man, I only comment when I can back it up with either first hand experience or documented research.

in that case...

it must have been another mag as the first time nz autocar tested the sti v7 was in 2001, a special import sti v7 ra.

no reservations about performance were expressed.

the regular sti wasn\'t sold in nz until june 2001.

;)

Scan-130319-0001_zps5b8f043c.jpg

My apologies I was guessing at the year that I read it, you are quite right, we did;t get them until 2001, I simply assumed I would have read it in 2000 as that is when the car was released in Japan, and I remember it definitely being a stock V7sti not the special edition RA which many believe is to this day the fastest stock sti EVER down the 1/4mile, have even seen a BMI video that shows one knocking out a mid 12 (although I think it was a spec C ra). Makes the current sti look pretty slow lol

SP00N said:

VERY TRUE

the stock tune is very knocky and the gains to be had are a LOT even with just an exhaust plus retune

have done a fait few and always picks a lot of thrust and better comming on boost too

Just Out of interest, how much does a tune usually cost? I\'ve noticed that my V7 STi does feel slightly boggy low down compared to my old V4 STi..

lunchie said:

My apologies I was guessing at the year that I read it, you are quite right, we did;t get them until 2001, I simply assumed I would have read it in 2000 as that is when the car was released in Japan, and I remember it definitely being a stock V7sti not the special edition RA which many believe is to this day the fastest stock sti EVER down the 1/4mile, have even seen a BMI video that shows one knocking out a mid 12 (although I think it was a spec C ra). Makes the current sti look pretty slow lol

You have me intrigued...

I\'m pretty sure it wasn\'t NZ Autocar you read, so what was it ?

Another search for the vault...

I remember those BMI videos, JDM 100 octane gas wouldn\'t have hurt those times either.

;)

I was gonna say, I don\'t remember autocar doing dyno testing on new cars?

NZPC got in trouble for doing it with something a while back to iirc

Ben - there\'s a couple guys in chch who would prob do the tune for you for beers / a small fee