Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Engine swap

Zach

Hey hows it going :). I have sourced a new engine as my current one has a very small HG leak and I dont want to risk getting it replaced only to find theres a ton more stuff about to blow from subsequent overheating and the Engine is just really old and used now (240k\'s). Theres a few places selling rebuilt ej20\'s but this one place in Rotorua im really keen on is selling a low km jap import wrx ra engine. I told him I\'m looking for a v2 1995 wrx ej20 turbo engine and this is what he said:

"our engines arn\'t recond,they are low km import engines from japan,what we have left is 1 x wrx ra 5th inj type engine which will fit in your 95 v2 wrx,I do advise to use your inlet manifold so electrics etc plug straight back in to how yours is setup.cheers"

I live in Ashburton and theres a guy here called Ross Templeton who owns a Garage "Templeton motor repairs". He knows Subaru engines but has quoted me $1500 to swap the engine :-\ . I\'ll pay that if I have too but I\'ll have the engine shipped to him and drive my car there so all he needs to do is pull the old out and lower in the new. Is $1500 a resonable price for this job? and how about that wrx ra engine, I was looking at them on wikipedia they are really neat cars man! Any things I really should know before going ahead with the swap? :-X

btw "Has been test run in japan.

Comes with start up warranty and has been compression tested etc.

"

1500 is steep Bro for engine out/in job.

Once you source a engine, ask for help from fellow club subbers around chch. Pretty sure someon will help out :)

If you were in Hawkes bay i will be happy to do your eng swap for box of cc\'s

lol dude your the actual man! haha box of cc\'s? man It would be hard to stop me from sneaking in $500 in bp petrol vouchers too. Man to bad im not in hawks bay that place is choice. My mate quintin is leaving tonight heading to hawks bay hes from there.

1500 is a fucking rip .

what is he replacing ?

yeah pulling engines is the kinda thing i help with and the price is you bring something to drink

also consider anythign you are doing at the same time .

replace gaskets ,seals etc on new engine new engine cambelt? , what state is your clutch in ?.

What serisouly? :D that would be sick! Too bad you dont live in Lil old middle of nowhere Ashburton. The engine comes with cambelt so she should be right. I was thinking about saving another $600 to buy a lightflywheel to install while the block was out, The gear box itself is really really solid but crunches when going into reverse soemtimes.

Yea I was messaging him about getting a complete rebuilt with forged internals. But the engine I have is old and the the guy that had it before me never changed the oil in it the whole time he had it and it would just be good peace of mind to have the whole thing swapped out. I also really really really want to pull it apart once it\'s out and rebuilt it so I can finally get a hands on grasp of these horizontally opposed engines. it will be a great project for me.

evowrx said:

Go see hijacka on here. Hell probably fix your h/g engine for less than 1g fitted and all.

sorry. - not rebuild. I mean pull it apart and put back together again. Will take me awhile but I\'ll do the whole thing on camera so I can remeber how to put it back together + internet + really fast learner

I thought ross\'s $1500 price was incl an engine? I might have got what you said wrong the other day.

I\'m going to the westcoast tomorrow hunting for the long weekend, will be back later monday, next week i will show you what is involved in removing a motor, i have everything in my garage that\'s needed, across the road

catch you next week

Aww dude good luck! hope you get a pig! that would be mean feeds :D

CUDDAS said:

I thought ross\'s $1500 price was incl an engine? I might have got what you said wrong the other day.

I\'m going to the westcoast tomorrow hunting for the long weekend, will be back later monday, next week i will show you what is involved in removing a motor, i have everything in my garage that\'s needed, across the road

catch you next week

Hmm I\'ll give them a call thanks

Koom said:

Have you asked at Rosco\'s to see how much a replacement motor would cost from there? They possibly know other local workshops that you could check for cheaper rates too.

If you have a garage to work in and some basic tools all you need is an engine crane and do it yourself, even if you brought an engine crane and a half decent set of tools you would save a heap.

All the info you need can be obtained just by asking, the biggest pain is the downpipe, once that\'s off everything else is pretty straight forward.

If you see something you may forget how it goes, take a pic of it or label it.

You don\'t need a lot really, i have the tools and just swapped out a blown ej20 for an ej25 and i currently don\'t have a garage at the moment so did it on my mates front lawn, took one afternoon, would have been quicker if i could have actually rolled the engine crane around.

Zach said:

That place is pretty good, but that\'s getting up a bit for a bare motor, keep in mind you will need to budget extra for new waterpump, cambelt, tensioners, oil seals, oil, filter, spark plugs. plus possibly inlet and exhaust gaskets, turbo gaskets etc...

no need to buy genuine, just go to partmaster or BNT talk nicely and get trade prices. Some gaskets can only be brought genuine though.

• 2 weeks later...