Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Suspension Certification Cost

MaximusGT

Hi Welly peeps!

Just bought a 97 STB Forester and I think the springs and struts are shot.

So I\'m weighing up the cost of getting some coil overs installed and certified VS getting some new suspension and springs VS finding some used STI struts and springs.

So does anybody know how much certification would cost for coilovers?

Any help greatly appricated :)

I think handling goes down the tubes a bit with sacking them out but mate ran V8 sti struts with super lows by memory and that sacked it right out. Bit lower than mine running super lows and also BG rear adjusties with keepers as low as they would go.

Plenty of strut/spring setups on subaruspeed.co.nz that would do the trick. A wrx rear swaybar will help or 22mm+ aftermarket jobbie will tighten it up and get rid of the horrendous understeer.

Think these were dobi super lows on stock foz struts iirc. With the teins in the back it dropped it a bit. You want to go to V7- struts or BG struts to keep springs captive too but may feel a bit soggy with the extra weight foz carry around.

august2011035.jpg

august2011038-1.jpg

Old foz lol. Actually liked it a lot just too slow. The V5/6 equivalent are so much nicer imo better interior/engine/rear end etc. It looked better with the adjusties in the rear it just tucked the tyre. nztintin on here played with foz platform I believe might be worth getting his opinion.

v7 sti wagon struts, with wagon specific sti springs. if you go for sedan springs, you\'ll get "saggy butt" syndrome.

Morriespics139.jpg

my old forrie, running v7 sti wagon struts, v3 sti wagon springs. needed camber bolts in the rear to sort out the narrower track, all up the swap cost me like $200, second hand parts from club hookups, trademe and a alignment shop in mt wellington.

no need for a cert, sat nice, rode a bit firm, but still nice.

Fair enough. Smaller and faster things ;)

I picked it up as a fixer up.

Needs some TLC but the engine was rebuilt 27000km ago so runs well.

Its much faster than my GT Legacy. lol

One more question.

Do the STB\'s have self leveling suspension? Or are they just regular struts?

kwi_fozze said:

v7 sti wagon struts, with wagon specific sti springs. if you go for sedan springs, you\'ll get "saggy butt" syndrome.

Morriespics139.jpg

my old forrie, running v7 sti wagon struts, v3 sti wagon springs. needed camber bolts in the rear to sort out the narrower track, all up the swap cost me like $200, second hand parts from club hookups, trademe and a alignment shop in mt wellington.

no need for a cert, sat nice, rode a bit firm, but still nice.

That looks perfect thanks man. Looks like the exact height I want

Edit: LOL Saggy Butt syndrome

the guys in the states often bung in a spacer of 3/4 of an inch or more to stop the rear sitting lower than the front.

mine did, but only slightly.

if you go any lower than the above, you\'ll need to get into subframe spacer removal, caster bush replacement, steering column adjustments etc to stop things from breaking / flogging out

kwi_fozze said:

the guys in the states often bung in a spacer of 3/4 of an inch or more to stop the rear sitting lower than the front.

mine did, but only slightly.

if you go any lower than the above, you\'ll need to get into subframe spacer removal, caster bush replacement, steering column adjustments etc to stop things from breaking / flogging out

Fair enough.

Thanks for the heads up.

Will have to start keeping an eye out for some sti struts.

The info is much appricated guys.

Thanks for all the replys :)

jasonv6 on here ended up going to adjusties in his and got it so low he had to take out the inner guards. Didnt break anything and it was a daily driver. Not saying its a good idea but not an absolute necessity to fuck with the rest of the geometry.

www.subaruspeed.co.nz is where you need to look. They had some foz teins for 200ish a coulpe of weeks ago too... If you did go for adjusties I would go for BG adjusties or something a bit shorter though. Mine firmed up the arse nicely and were captive etc.

• Admin

In Wellington you\'ll probably be using Ken McAdams at Wellington Vehicle Compliance. Price was either 400+ gst or 450+ gst last time I got one.

He\'s pretty good to deal with, just make sure your vehicle is ship-shape because he will pull you up on things that aren\'t entirely related to what\'s being certed if they\'re a safety issue - I had to fix my rusty bumpers to get a cert for an engine conversion but it was kinda like well, fair enough - they were dodgy as hell.

evowrx said:

jasonv6 on here ended up going to adjusties in his and got it so low he had to take out the inner guards. Didnt break anything and it was a daily driver. Not saying its a good idea but not an absolute necessity to bother with the rest of the geometry.

www.subaruspeed.co.nz is where you need to look. They had some foz teins for 200ish a coulpe of weeks ago too... If you did go for adjusties I would go for BG adjusties or something a bit shorter though. Mine firmed up the arse nicely and were captive etc.

Cheers man.

I have decided to go with WRX struts and springs as they seem like the best bet

I took a look at the link last night and they had some Forester STI struts and springs but really like the thought of the Impreza ones. Really good site though so I will be keeping an eye on it for sure

boon said:

In Wellington you\'ll probably be using Ken McAdams at Wellington Vehicle Compliance. Price was either 400+ gst or 450+ gst last time I got one.

He\'s pretty good to deal with, just make sure your vehicle is ship-shape because he will pull you up on things that aren\'t entirely related to what\'s being certed if they\'re a safety issue - I had to fix my rusty bumpers to get a cert for an engine conversion but it was kinda like well, fair enough - they were dodgy as hell.

The shape this Forester is in he would have a feild day. lol

Thanks for the info though and price seems really reasonable

Just a quick update.

Have had some 03 Impreza WRX struts installed with the Tien springs that were already in there.

It is so much better now.

Turns out that it had standard struts in there and the boy who owned it just chucked the Tien lowering springs in and drove it into the ground as three of the struts had collapsed and the other was close to going as well.

Plus there was alot of play in the right front hub so that got changed at the same time.

Quite shocking the neglect of this car but oh well it will be well looked after now!

Thanks for all the help guys. Your information and help was invaluable :)