Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

WTB : Advice on Legacy BP manual

allycat

Hi

I am in the market for a legacy GT 5Speed manual. Can any one give some advice, I may purchase the one below if my current trade is good.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/legacy/auction-613663756.htm

I test drove this car but it seems to have more turbo lag than usual, my current car is a 02 Airtrek Turbo. It will only start to pull from 3K onwards.

Do you think it will just need services etc?

Thanks.

A Legacy is a bit slow before about 2500rpm but should pull well through the range.

How do you mean it has more lag than usual? Usual for a 2006 Legacy?

It could need any number of things, or it could need nothing.

You will also need to budget $1500 to $2000 for the 100km service.

Hi

Thanks for the heads up on 100K service is this because of Cambelt?

I was comparing to my current Airtrek Turbo which seems to be more linear in with the turbo, boost comes on earlier around 2k rpm and stays till about 5K rpm. Its a standard car too. oh well may just need to get used to that, its has SI drive which seems like something just waiting to go wrong could be affecting power delivery although I drove it in Sport Sharp.

cheers

A mate has a bp5 legacy wagon this shape. These shouldn\'t feel sluggish as they have a higher compression motor 9:5 and dual avcs. Full boost (Around 15psi) at around 2400rpm on the twin scroll tdo4 and easing off around 6000rpm.

I was quite impressed with these to be honest and really liked them.

Check out the first column here http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?topic=9604.0 from another member

I\'ve had an airtrek, you will do well to find anything else like it for low down pull

Tiny TD04 and auto trans - I could make over 10psi just by putting both pedals down at the lights, it basically has an undersized turbo for the motor in stock form which is why it wakes up so fast for a 2l motor

SI drive is just a change in boost/engine mapping, its electronic so nothing to "go wrong" as such

Cool thanks for the info, will see what happens at this point upgrading just for a later vehicle 5star crash rating , isofix mounting points for booster seats and when no ones around I can drive abit enthusiastically being a manual. Also what needs to be changed at 100K service?

Since you need to do servicing if it hasnt been done I wouldnt pay over 16k. Basically timing belt/idlers/tenioner/water pump/cam and crank seals, coolant, all fluids - oil, gearbox, diffs, brake, clutch, power steer and spark plugs. Thats what I would do if I bought a car that new anyway. Pay to know exactly where you stand with it as it sounds like you want it long term.

evowrx said:

Since you need to do servicing if it hasnt been done I wouldnt pay over 16k. Basically timing belt/idlers/tenioner/water pump/cam and crank seals, coolant, all fluids - oil, gearbox, diffs, brake, clutch, power steer and spark plugs. Thats what I would do if I bought a car that new anyway. Pay to know exactly where you stand with it as it sounds like you want it long term.

Wow thanks for this info seriously as I do intend keeping the car for five years.

Yep the 100km service is the cambelt and accessories service. Probably won\'t see a lot of change from $2k.

Compared to the Airtrek the Legacy is probably a little sluggish off the line. This is mostly due to the drive by wire setup and tuning. Once it\'s moving or doing over 2500rpm it should haul pretty well and should be quicker than the airtrek.

SI Drive is just a button that switches tuning, nothing really mechanical to break down.

My 04 GTB has needed the 100k service and rear main seal replacement ~$1800. Plus a new O2 sensor ~$400, lower control arm bushes ~$400 and a clean of the VTC solenoids (free), had it for 4 years and 65kms, now at 155kms.

• General Member

here\'s a (cheeky) tip : I would stop calling it a "GT 5 Speed", Just say "Manual"

it also appears you\'re after a 2003 + models biased towards a wagon I guess making it a BP (Chassis model code, Sedan is BL)

:D

have altered title to suit/try and help

JoKer said:

here\'s a (cheeky) tip : I would stop calling it a "GT 5 Speed", Just say "Manual"

it also appears you\'re after a 2003 + models biased towards a wagon I guess making it a BP (Chassis model code, Sedan is BL)

:D

have altered title to suit/try and help

These newbies go figure ::)

allycat said:

I have since spoken to the dealer this avo and have suggested he does the cambelt and waterpump for his asking prices or take off 1K. I am in no hurry.

Thanks for the advice gents.

I would get them to take of the k, then you can get it done properly, do know dealers can cut corners

evowrx said:

Let him sit till mid next week then ring him and say got the money if you change your mind leave it a that.

Yeah I will think about it over the weekend too, If it was not already 95K on the clock I would have picked it up by now as I would not have to worry about cambelt for at least 6months but I know I will clock up mileage fast. So will wait until next week. cheers

just be careful of these models as they come with air pump and secondary air valves. give a lot of problems when valves get stuck open and bloody costly repairs. you will be looking at around 2-5k only on repairs. only imports come with these valves. purpose of that? just pumps extra air on cold starts and goes off in few seconds. doesnt affect the performance but cel comes on and deactivates the traction control, cruise control, and si control.

my advise, if you want this than get mechanical breakdown insurance with it, and get the valves checked before buying it.

subirex said:

just be careful of these models as they come with air pump and secondary air valves. give a lot of problems when valves get stuck open and bloody costly repairs. you will be looking at around 2-5k only on repairs. only imports come with these valves. purpose of that? just pumps extra air on cold starts and goes off in few seconds. doesnt affect the performance but cel comes on and deactivates the traction control, cruise control, and si control.

my advise, if you want this than get mechanical breakdown insurance with it, and get the valves checked before buying it.

Thanks for the advice. Cheers

Hi Test drove another legacy GT today,this one is also a 2006 model but when accelerating seemed to be surging not sure what that was about possible could be type of fuel or lack of is the fuel indicator light was glowing before i set off.

Can anyone explain what is the green triangle that flashes in the instrument cluster, the dealer could not explain this too me, also can the Japane graphics be changed or setup not to display.

Thanks