Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Removal of power steering pump etc

I have no idea hence the question.

Anybody driven a Subaru preferable gc8 or any wrx without power steering? I am wondering how different it will be with no powering steering on the race car. Car is a lot lighter than standard.

Will it be extremely noticeable and a stupid idea?

I like the idea of doing away with the power steering pump etc but not if it dramatically reduces the drivability of the car.

cheers

funkytown said:

take the aux belt off and try and drive it before you go for full P/S removal....

ive not done it but imo it would be stupid.

That\'s far to sensible a suggestion Jon, I prefer shit or bust approach :)

I Just searched google and a few guys in states have done it and rave about it saying hell of a lot more feel etc. Still I\'m not convinced, I think your sensible approach is probably the way to go.

According to research the car should feel no different at speed its only at lower speeds there will be an issue like parking etc, which I don\'t intend to do much of.

Also, if you remove the PS belt and leave the fluid in the system, some how people reported its a lot harder to steer than if you just completely strip out the entire system.

I am tempted I have to say and how often do you drive slow in a race car?

Will talk to my builder who will probably shake his head at another idea to change stuff on the car. I have done a shit load of it lately.

Removing it is an awful idea.. I have an ultra quick 2.2:1 rack and 330mm steering wheel. Just about impossible to move the wheel with no PS

If you wanted a super slow rack for some bizarre reason then it might be ok. Remove it for a drag car only IMO

Optical said:

Removing it is an awful idea.. I have an ultra quick 2.2:1 rack and 330mm steering wheel. Just about impossible to move the wheel with no PS

If you wanted a super slow rack for some bizarre reason then it might be ok. Remove it for a drag car only IMO

Pretty sure that\'s similar to what I have, car has quick rack from factory and I put in a 330 mm wheel. I take it you have tried it with no PS?

duddley said:

My grandma was still driving around in her Civic with no power steering when she was 92 so you guys must be soft haha, although that car weighed next to nothing.

And the ratio of the rack would have been designed around not being power assisted ::)

U may have to actually source a non powering steering steering rack,

May find that the internals of the rack are lubricated by the oil, no oil = no lubrication=seize = bang crash

and here in lies your issue, as I have never seen an Impreza without powersteering it may be difficult to source one,

My leone is non from factory but not sure if the rack would fit the impreza

We are borg']

U may have to actually source a non powering steering steering rack,

May find that the internals of the rack are lubricated by the oil, no oil = no lubrication=seize = bang crash

and here in lies your issue, as I have never seen an Impreza without powersteering it may be difficult to source one,

My leone is non from factory but not sure if the rack would fit the impreza

I have read that the best way to go is to find a non PS car and put a steering rack in from it, in fact the leone was mentioned. Seems to be a lot of hassle though for just deleting a small pump. Will probably just leave it as is. The build is taking long enough as is without delaying it further with pointless mods just for aesthetic reasons, well potentially increased feedback is what enticed me.

[quote name='madmike said:

have a look at 99% of racecars these days and you will find power steering.

Why.

Because you try and steer a 1500kg car around a track with big tires and grip and you will see straight away.

dont do it man...

Fair enough but my car weighs closer to 1000kg than 1500kg but I understand your point and its not as if 1 ton is light. .

Why not look at putting in an electric power steering pump from something like and MR2? if you want to remove it for aesthetics.

Or fabricate a bracket to mount the pump at the bottom of the motor and then run a remote reservoir somewhere else.

Also if you put anything wider than factory wheels on it, that\'s just going to compound the world of hurt that you\'ve created if running without P/S and wanting to do anything other than drag racing.....

Koom said:

Why not look at putting in an electric power steering pump from something like and MR2? if you want to remove it for aesthetics.

Or fabricate a bracket to mount the pump at the bottom of the motor and then run a remote reservoir somewhere else.

Also if you put anything wider than factory wheels on it, that\'s just going to compound the world of hurt that you\'ve created if running without P/S and wanting to do anything other than drag racing.....

Discussed this with my builder and he said we can send the steering rack off and get it modded but not cheap, and I am going 9 jj width with the wheels which basically means I\'m leaving as is now.