Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dunedin Subaru mechanics

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a WOF and apparently i have a oil leak due to a busted crank seal. Supposedly its like 3.5 hours labour to do. Not fun times for the bank just for a bloody oil leak dammit haha.

Think ill just go with Southern motor court, they may charge a higher rate but im hoping they will do a quicker job than just your average mechanic.

Was really just wondering whether they are the only subie mechanics in town.

cheers

Guest Oscar
 drifter500 said:

the guys at otago wreckers are subaru mechanics and are quick and good priced

They were good, 3 years ago. I stopped going there after John left. They treated me poorly, customer service went down the shitter.

Guest Oscar
 legacyNZ said:

Just had a WOF and apparently i have a oil leak due to a busted crank seal. Supposedly its like 3.5 hours labour to do. Not fun times for the bank just for a bloody oil leak dammit haha.

Think ill just go with Southern motor court, they may charge a higher rate but im hoping they will do a quicker job than just your average mechanic.

Was really just wondering whether they are the only subie mechanics in town.

cheers

Pop in and see John at Downtown Service Centre on Crawford St. He is pretty good, and doesn't dick around.

Oscar']

[quote name='drifter500 said:

the guys at otago wreckers are subaru mechanics and are quick and good priced

/quote]

They were good, 3 years ago. I stopped going there after John left. They treated me poorly, customer service went down the ****ter.

otago metals have are good lately although i must agree they did have a problem of some kind

but couldnt be a happier customer every time they have fixed my gt

just seen under the hood of their wrx its nice authentic parts must have more power than what they claim like to see it on strip someday would be nice to see it up at blossom fest

Guest Oscar
 sheaty said:

just seen under the hood of their wrx its nice authentic parts must have more power than what they claim like to see it on strip someday would be nice to see it up at blossom fest

Talk is cheap and rumours are rumours. Ask for some dyno sheets next time.

Ok, so back on track.

I got my car serviced (against my better judgement) at Southern Motor Court yesterday.

It is running smoother but because of the extra traffic driving home I didn't have a chance to open her up and see if there was an improvement in the top end.

Well driving to work today there was a continuous knocking/ticking coming from the passengers side of the engine that wasn't there before and it doesn't sound like worn/dirty lifters (that was the drivers side ;D ). I also noticed that it's not hitting full boost from 2500rpm.

I'll be ringing them shortly to find out what's going on.

dubbedup said:

also what did you get done during your service and how much did they charge?

Not much and too bloody much!

It was just a routine service that's done every 10,000km, oil change and inspections all round, nothing special and they charged me $270 incl GST!!

They at least found all the oil leaks :P so I know which seals need replacing now.

• 2 weeks later...

Southern Motor Court is the best place to get your Subaru serviced at, Provided they get the parts straight away (Not from jap land 6-9 working days) They have a decent charge out rate, and a good turn around on cars in the service (Get job done quicker) they have 3 Subaru trained mechanics none of this Hill Billie car wrecker stuff. And i notice you guys bring your cars to Southern Motor court alot.

Want shit done?? Get it done right with genuine parts, Alot of mechanical places will say they'll use the genuine parts but they won't, Southern Motor Court has no choice unless you state that you want some shitty partmart or repco part.

So yeah Southern Motor Court is the place for your Subaru to get serviced, Until Down South gets a sub lab, but that's along way off, due to the amount of people down here that actually get there Subaru's serviced at the Franchise outfit.

travel express said:

Southern Motor Court is the best place to get your Subaru serviced at, Provided they get the parts straight away (Not from jap land 6-9 working days) They have a decent charge out rate, and a good turn around on cars in the service (Get job done quicker) they have 3 Subaru trained mechanics none of this Hill Billie car wrecker stuff. And i notice you guys bring your cars to Southern Motor court alot.

Want **** done?? Get it done right with genuine parts, Alot of mechanical places will say they'll use the genuine parts but they won't, Southern Motor Court has no choice unless you state that you want some ****ty partmart or repco part.

So yeah Southern Motor Court is the place for your Subaru to get serviced, Until Down South gets a sub lab, but that's along way off, due to the amount of people down here that actually get there Subaru's serviced at the Franchise outfit.

do you work at Southern?

Guest Oscar
 travel express said:

Want **** done?? Get it done right with genuine parts, Alot of mechanical places will say they'll use the genuine parts but they won't, Southern Motor Court has no choice unless you state that you want some ****ty partmart or repco part.

Wreckers have geniune parts, they are just a tad used. ;D Yes Southern will do a good job and duh of course they will use geniune parts cos they are the dealership. However, the price for labour and parts are steep compared to a general mechanic. Most do as good as a job as the stealership labour wise anyway. As for parts, you can specify genuine parts if you want, but most of the time used parts are fine anyway. Especially for components like lower arms or trim pieces. Obviously new is the way to go for bushings, bearings and certain electrics (I don't unless I have no choice). However, I'd rather replace my bushings with higher quality aftermarket stuff that cost the same if not less than soft and squishy OEM rubber bushings anyway.

So really, you are stating the obvious but leaving out the rather important other side of the coin. Not all non stealership workshops are hillbillies.