Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Opinions on 4age levins?

Reliable wee cars and go alright.

Very easy cars to sell to one of very few cars that people with more desirable cars are willing to trade with.

Is it the black tops or the silver tops that run no afm? The ones without an afm make for some truly mental noises when you run open trumpets :D

Roo said:

Reliable wee cars and go alright.

Very easy cars to sell to one of very few cars that people with more desirable cars are willing to trade with.

Is it the black tops or the silver tops that run no afm? The ones without an afm make for some truly mental noises when you run open trumpets :D

Black and silver tops run a air temp sensor

AAAAAAAAARRRa said:

The one I\'m looking at is a black top and yeah they run map sensors which is good :) Quad throttle bodies is pretty sweet. They sound like their a pretty good car overall to be honest. Whats the reason for preferring the 5 speed?

5 speed box is quite a bit stronger than the 6 speed, however some of the 6 speeds got an LSD which is cool.

If you want to know about the in\'s and out\'s then go ask on ToySpeed.

The blacktops can actually be quite a temperamental engine if not serviced regularly. They can start using a lot of oil with higher kms. Most people on TS would be more comfortable with a high kms silvertop than a blacktop however I have owned both and the blacktop has more of a rush at the top end but doesn\'t really like 98 that much.

Also bare in mind if you plan on turboing it the silvertop is the much better bet as it has stronger rods and lower compression.

lunchie']

[quote name='AAAAAAAAARRRa said:

The one I\'m looking at is a black top and yeah they run map sensors which is good :) Quad throttle bodies is pretty sweet. They sound like their a pretty good car overall to be honest. Whats the reason for preferring the 5 speed?

/quote]

5 speed box is quite a bit stronger than the 6 speed, however some of the 6 speeds got an LSD which is cool.

If you want to know about the in\'s and out\'s then go ask on ToySpeed.

The blacktops can actually be quite a temperamental engine if not serviced regularly. They can start using a lot of oil with higher kms. Most people on TS would be more comfortable with a high kms silvertop than a blacktop however I have owned both and the blacktop has more of a rush at the top end but doesn\'t really like 98 that much.

Also bare in mind if you plan on turboing it the silvertop is the much better bet as it has stronger rods and lower compression.

I would probably be doing pretty minimal mods to the motor so I think I would prefer 6 gears. As long as they hold up alright with roughly standard power? Asking on toyspeed sounds like a good idea. Did you have trouble with det running 98 with the blacktop? The one I am looking at is fairly low kms so shouldn\'t be too much of a worry. Na this would be staying NA otherwise I would just keep my wrx haha

Is it just me or does every single FWD levin drive aroun like the owner thinks its a full blown racecar and on a qualifying lap. Big heel toes everywhere, always thinking their touge warriors if there\'s a corner coming up etc. drives me nuts when I come across them. Every. Single. One.

Mattdogg said:

All i want to say about them has already been said in other comments. Everything i read I agree with 100%.

I have a BZG (5 Speed) - BZR is normally the 6 speed with a few other special things.

I\'m so bored of mine though, I want a type r coupe :)

That doesn\'t sound like a good review haha. Have you just got bored of the power?

good cheap cars but you definitely notice the lack of power, i went from a evo to a levin to save money, ended up selling it after 3 months because just felt like going at snail pace couldn\'t overtake trucks and so on and bought the subi after that.... integra is value for money if you get a Dohc Vtec one... in saying that you wouldnt lose as much money on a levin like you would on a subi or a turbo car...

4G63B8 said:

good cheap cars but you definitely notice the lack of power, i went from a evo to a levin to save money, ended up selling it after 3 months because just felt like going at snail pace couldn\'t overtake trucks and so on and bought the subi after that.... integra is value for money if you get a Dohc Vtec one... in saying that you wouldnt lose as much money on a levin like you would on a subi or a turbo car...

Yeah I\'m not expecting it to be on par with my wrx. I\'ve actually been dailying a very slow 1.5 sentra for about a year now so if it goes quite a lot better than that I think I will be happy. I\'ll have to drive one and see what its like.

Had many of these in various different cars, ae82, ae92 , ae85 with blacktop. Good little motors. Blacktop is nice with vvt, had one in my ae85, with open throttle, headers and g4 made 110kw atw, so not huge. But sounded real hot and loved to rev! 50mm trumpets worked well for us, uni filter socks rape power by the way. Things to look out for- the heads up top fill with crap quite badly on the 20v if you dont change the oil enough (more so than other cars), vvt pulley can get noisy but thats ok. 5 speed box is stronger than 6 speed. Stick with blacktop, silvertops are yawnworthy, or get a type R dc2 instead.

No det on 98, they go very well on 98 actually. should get well over 600kms to a tank if you keep stock airbox. DONT put a pod filter on them, seems to stuff up fuel economy badly

If you service them well and keep stockish then they are great little cars, I still really miss mine actually. I had a BZV (the black top with 5speed and LSD)

zeroyon223 said:

Had many of these in various different cars, ae82, ae92 , ae85 with blacktop. Good little motors. Blacktop is nice with vvt, had one in my ae85, with open throttle, headers and g4 made 110kw atw, so not huge. But sounded real hot and loved to rev! 50mm trumpets worked well for us, uni filter socks rape power by the way. Things to look out for- the heads up top fill with crap quite badly on the 20v if you dont change the oil enough (more so than other cars), vvt pulley can get noisy but thats ok. 5 speed box is stronger than 6 speed. Stick with blacktop, silvertops are yawnworthy, or get a type R dc2 instead.

Awesome ! thanks man. I would be stoked with 110kw from such a little motor. I actually love NA motors that just seem to rev so that would be good for me. Yeah If I get one it\'d be a black top one since they are pretty much same $. Will keep an eye out for a dc2r aswell.

lunchie said:

No det on 98, they go very well on 98 actually. should get well over 600kms to a tank if you keep stock airbox. DONT put a pod filter on them, seems to stuff up fuel economy badly

If you service them well and keep stockish then they are great little cars, I still really miss mine actually. I had a BZV (the black top with 5speed and LSD)

Thanks for the help! All sounds pretty good to me as I do my own servicing