Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

EJ205-EJ206-EJ207-EJ208 Short Block Identification

Rosssub

EJ207 Engine Identification by Stamp Code %100 confirmed

After a few weeks trawling though countless threads covering this topic, on every Subaru forum on the mighty internet (yes I've read them all). I'm not listing sources as there are too many...

Everyone says there is no way to tell if an engine (specifically a short block), is a WRX EJ205 or a STI EJ207. Without visually inspecting the pistons,or calling Subaru with a Vin number trying to get matching half block part numbers and hope for the best. Incorrect.

All phase 2 and phase 3 Subaru blocks can be identified by the raised stamp code on the block.

WRX Version 5/6/7 EJ205 Open deck block stamped R20

STI Version 5/6 EJ207 Open deck block stamped R20

STI Version 7 EJ207 Semi closed deck block stamped S20C

STI Version 8 EJ207 Semi closed deck block stamped T20C

STI Version 9 EJ207 Semi closed deck block stamped T20C

STI Version 10 EJ207 Semi closed deck block stamped W20C

STI EJ257 Semi closed deck block stamped B25C

Then there's also a difference in bore wall and stiffener thickness through the EJ207 STI block:

S20C --- 9.6mm  Version 7 EJ207

T20C ---- 9.6mm Version 8/9 EJ207

W20C - 13.2mm Version 10 EJ207

Version 7 EJ207 Piston Type

Version 7, JDM STI EJ207, S20C - Forged Molybdenum. (Forged Alloy Moly Coated or Forged Moly)

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/newsuba/media/sti7forgedpistons_zps2ba1d247.jpg.html

JDM Version 7 STI EJ207, S20C - Forged Molybdenum Pistons. (Forged Moly)

965591_10151670099559872_1189984037_o.jp

JDM Version 8/9 STI EJ207, T20C - Cast Hypereuthectic. (High Silicon Based Cast Alloy)

img_4717_p1.jpg

Version 8/9 STI block T20C:

Version_9_STI_Block.jpg

Version 10 STI block W20C beside the Version 7/8/9 S20C/T20C:

BCjrKqP.jpg

Head Stamp Codes

Phase 2 and Phase 3 Heads, can also be Identified by this same External Stamp Code:

BH5A TT Heads stamped LH B 004 and RH B 004

BH5B TT Heads stamped, LH B 003 and RH B 003

BH5D TT Heads stamped, LH H20B and RH H20B

Version 6 WRX Heads stamped, LH A 003 and RH A 003

Version 5 STI Heads stamped, LH C 005 and RH C 006

Version 6 STI Heads stamped, LH C 007 and RH C 008

Version 6 STI RA Heads stamped, LH S20 and RH S20

Version 7 WRX Heads stamped, LH S20 and RH S20

Version 7 STI Heads stamped, LH S20V and RH S20V (code change with AVCS/Cam Type)

Version 8 STI Heads stamped, LH T20 and RH T20

Version 9 STI Heads stamped, LH T20 and RH T20

Version 10 STI Heads stamped, LH W20 and RH W20

Example:

BH5B LH B 003 - BH5A LH B 004

New_Head_002.jpg

Version 6 STI Heads stamped LH C 006 and RH C 007:

polished_block_and_heads_002.jpg

polished_block_and_heads_003.jpg

EJ207 crankshaft differences:

12200AA210 - BE/BH EJ206/EJ208 ---------------- OEM cross drilled crank

12200AA240 - Version 5/6/7 STI EJ207/EJ205 -- OEM cross drilled crank

12200AA270 - Version 8/9 STI EJ207 GDBC ---- OEM double cross drilled and nitrated crank (better oiling and hardened - black colouring)

12200AA390 - Version 10 STI EJ207 GRB ------- OEM double cross drilled and nitrated crank (better oiling and hardened - black colouring)

JDM Version 5/6/7 STI EJ207 - cross drilled crankshaft:

s-l1600.jpg

Version 8/9/10 STI EJ207 - double cross drilled and nitrated crankshaft:

s-l1600.jpg

I believe there to be some truth there! The ej205 block is also found on some later v4 must of been when they switched from 4bolt to 8bolt(centre to rear thrust)The likely explanation is they ran out of 4bolt casings before the v4 time was up and made the last of them with the later blocks, I remember funky also saying something about this awhile ago. My 98 version 4 sti had one from factory stamped r20(open rear thrust 8bolt)

From my experience i have notice the semi closed blocks are stamped s20c but have not seen this marking on a open yet

I also have a ej25 semi closed block stamped r25 if you wat to lock it in haha

Muff Slayer said:

And still to the present day the pick of these is the v7 ej207 with its factory forged pistons.

Bugeye was good for something huh. They don\'t build them like they used to.

Have a good read through this, full details on changes to the EJ207 through the Versions:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2385141

The EJ207 just gets better and better. ;D

evowrx said:

But EJ207 is open V5/6 and semi V7/8/9...so identical block numbers but different design.

This^, (also im pretty sure my 205 block is stamped "ej205") edit scratch that! haha could have sworn it did somewhere though.

evowrx said:

But EJ207 is open V5/6 and semi V7/8/9...so identical block numbers but different design.

I\'d like to see a V5/6 STI Block Code.

Assuming an R20 code if open deck. Not the S20C 701 -1

Which means the only difference between V5/6 WRX EJ205 and V5/6 STI EJ207, is Pistons/Rods/Crank/Heads. Both Open Deck Block.

Version 7 STI EJ207, stamped S20C 701 -1.

965591_10151670099559872_1189984037_o.jp

max.']

[quote name='evowrx said:

/quote]

This^, (also im pretty sure my 205 block is stamped "ej205") edit scratch that! haha could have sworn it did somewhere though.

Max, does your 99 WRX Block have a small R20 on it? If it\'s OEM?

Hmmm Piston info..

There was forged pistons before v3.. The design is of the older type that protrudes above the deck.. I\'ve only ever seen 1 set and sold them to fbs, there where no markings, I believe they where v2sti Pistons but not 100% on that

v3-V4 forged pistons stamped hf2=A size and HF=B size

The quality of the engine as a whole improves over the phases and years.

Cranks/Rods/Piston design all improve with the phases.. Thats including the difference between phase 1(v1-v2) and phase 1.5(v3v4)

Piston design changed, crank oil gallerys are wider.Rods are stronger and better tensioner system.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright, read this thread like 4 times, cant seem to find anything on my heads,

RHH20B LHH20B

i hope im not just reading something wrong, thanks for posting this, was hunting for a week before i came across it.

AFAIK they are BE/BH rev D-E heads, but don't quote me on it just yet. I think the BE/BH heads changed from the LH B 003 and RH B 003, to RH H20B LH H20B at rev D/version 7.

What car/engine are they fitted to?

Edit: JDM version 7 WRX (GDA) head stamp codes added to the list in first post, RHS20 and LHS20.

sxx said:
Alright, read this thread like 4 times, cant seem to find anything on my heads,

RHH20B LHH20B

i hope im not just reading something wrong, thanks for posting this, was hunting for a week before i came across it.

Yeah those were the stamps on the engine that I bought which I was totally lied to about(finally have court date :D ). not sure which revision they were removed from though.

Rosssub said:
AFAIK they are BE/BH rev D-E heads, but don't quote me on it just yet. I think the BE/BH heads changed from the LH 20B RH 20B, to RH H20B LH H20B at rev D/version 7.

What car/engine are they fitted to?

Edit: JDM version 7 WRX (GDA) head stamp codes added to the list in first post, RHS20 and LHS20.

wow that was a super quick response, thanks,

its a JDM engine, a twin turbo legacy GT 2001. ej208? 2.0 and well i ended up with it for a VW bug / subaru swap.

just trying to do some digging on it, it came with pink 550cc injectors, ive read it might have some aggressive cams but no clue,

sxx said:
wow that was a super quick response, thanks,

its a JDM engine, a twin turbo legacy GT 2001. ej208? 2.0 and well i ended up with it for a VW bug / subaru swap.

just trying to do some digging on it, it came with pink 550cc injectors, ive read it might have some aggressive cams but no clue,

Sweet, that pretty much confirms it then. :) Should have a version 7 TB too. The only real way to check what cams you have is to pull rocker cover off.

Some pics and info on the different cams in here:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?42216-Heads

Good luck for court day 94 Leone, hopefully you get every cent back and then some.

So ej207 right? opened them up and its the BHTT cams from the thread you posted, but my intake port is the shape of the STI heads in that thread, strange stuff.

on a side note.

the oil pan is wider than any of the USDM engines, ive got a aftermarket single turbo manifold that wont work because the oil pan is wide D:

Edited by sxx