Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ask your tuning questions here!

gotasuby

Seeing as more people are running aftermarket ecus and a reflashing the newer model Subaru\'s I thought I would offer my services and help out with questions. Everything I have done is self learned over years. I prefer link g4 ecus and can make them do some seriously cool stuff but can help with others to. Eg Motec, haltech, micro tech etc.

I\'m just trying to help out the club with tuning questions so all our knowledge can grow

kamineko said:

any luck with megasquirt? I will be looking at it in the future, I require a different tooth pattern on the crank pulley aye?

Burntrubber has built/used/tuned one reckons its mint to use. mattapo also runs one iirc. Both non sub.

I\'ve used the g4 knock block. Original knock link and the Motec knock device I can\'t remember why it\'s called.

And the knock light. The g4 knock light and g4 knock link are both awesome.

Original knock link is crap in comparison.

gotasuby said:

I\'ve used the g4 knock block. Original knock link and the Motec knock device I can\'t remember why it\'s called.

would you recommend installing one of those knock lights when I install my g4?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/708536483

It is in my list. Just unsure. Was going to have this and a wideband

ADIKT']

[quote name='gotasuby said:

/quote]would you recommend installing one of those knock lights when I install my g4?

Sorry to butt in, but crap that\'s dear...Could you wire an LED to Knock Sensor?

Or cheap shift light to knock sensor?

Edit: Or CEL to Knock Sensor?

gotasuby said:

Seeing as more people are running aftermarket ecus and a reflashing the newer model Subaru\'s I thought I would offer my services and help out with questions. Everything I have done is self learned over years. I prefer link g4 ecus and can make them do some seriously cool stuff but can help with others to. Eg Motec, haltech, micro tech etc.

I\'m just trying to help out the club with tuning questions so all our knowledge can grow

Also, thank you. Impeccable timing, installing a Link shortly. I will be follwing this thread very closely. ;D

If I come up to chch in the future can you have a look at the tune and if needs be retune my v7 sti wagon? It has been recently done by a friends friend but would be nice to get a more experienced perspective on what changes can/should be made to up performance. Has quite a few mods and would like to get more raaapsh out of it. Ha it\'s the stock ecu. Would it be worth getting a link or is stock fine.

Cheers

i have v7 sti wagon, retuned to 220 something ish at all 4. stock ecu is reflashable :)

DOCS said:

If I come up to chch in the future can you have a look at the tune and if needs be retune my v7 sti wagon? It has been recently done by a friends friend but would be nice to get a more experienced perspective on what changes can/should be made to up performance. Has quite a few mods and would like to get more raaapsh out of it. Ha it\'s the stock ecu. Would it be worth getting a link or is stock fine.

Cheers

Yep, I had it reflashed just recently, I know very little about it all. (Trying to learn, struggling though... I think it\'s def a different type of clever to know an engine)

I was just wondering, are their more gains to be had with a link over the stock or is it all in the tuning.

i\'m going to say it\'s in the tuning, but some will disagree.

stock ecu has a perfect cold start set up already, that alone can cost hundreds with a tuner and link.

i don\'t know, tbh the link may be a better unit, but hell, if your ecu is perfectly suited for your car already, why reinvent the wheel, when you are better off just making the wheel round, if you know what i mean :)

Rosssub']

/quote]would you recommend installing one of those knock lights when I install my g4?

Sorry to butt in, but crap that\'s dear...Could you wire an LED to Knock Sensor?

Or cheap shift light to knock sensor?

Edit: Or CEL to Knock Sensor?

That is not a bad price for what it is. it works amazing and nothing you can make easily or buy cheaper comes close and is easy to set up.

Plug in and auto calibrates. when it lights up red you have knock. very reliable

kwi_fozze']

i have v7 sti wagon, retuned to 220 something ish at all 4. stock ecu is reflashable :)

[quote name='DOCS said:

Cheers

/quote]

Definetly can help out. I can even show you how/what to change/tune.

Stock ECU is flashable yes but I have found so many limitations to it. especially with the later ones. Like values you cant change and tables you cant freely configure/change values enough. My theory is keep it until you find limitations you cant easly get around

gotasuby']

Plug in and auto calibrates. when it lights up red you have knock. very reliable

So that trademe Knock Light is a Stand Alone Unit

When plugged in, is it connected directly to Link?

Does the Link adjust any parameters when Knock is detected? Or just flash a Light?

Or is that where the Other Knock Devices come into play? :-\

gotasuby said:

Definetly can help out. I can even show you how/what to change/tune.

Stock ECU is flashable yes but I have found so many limitations to it. especially with the later ones. Like values you cant change and tables you cant freely configure/change values enough. My theory is keep it until you find limitations you cant easly get around

Awesome, cheers.

I\'ll be in touch when I get a chance to head up those ways and hopefully we can sort something out.

gotasuby']

its a completly standalone unit and not connected to an ecu in anyway.

Link can have a knock sensor hooked up to it but nothing to do with knock link

Ok, cool. ;D

The g4 knock light and g4 knock link are both awesome.

Why is the original Knock Link crap in comparison?

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend for a re tune dude!Can you do me a cold start as well?

Highly recommend this guy btw! leaves the wife waiting in the car while we bugger off tuning lol.

O.T but still a Question: Is macgyver your Dad?

Cheers

Laadan.

Rosssub']

Ok, cool. ;D

The g4 knock light and g4 knock link are both awesome.

/quote]

Why is the original Knock Link crap in comparison?

The old knock link is very very prone to electrical noise and doesnt have the digital filtering of the new one.