Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ask your tuning questions here!

gotasuby

On 2/26/2017 at 8:24 PM, willisnz said:

Random question, if you lived in central/west Auckland (Avondale) where would you go to (legally) do 2nd gear pulls for an e-tune?

I used NW extension for logging, straight line and not that many cars at all if you go later at night

9 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

I used NW extension for logging, straight line and not that many cars at all if you go later at night

Is that after the Westgate exit? Upper harbour (sh18) would probably be good too based on when I drive home.e after the Albany meet.

6 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

ps. i live there and see heaps of cops all the time and people getting pulled over left right and centre. its a great revenue generating place for them i imagine.. just FYI to do a bit of a sweep before doing some road tune antics :P

Cool,not planning on doing anything illegal so might be pulling short of the red line!

2nd gear pulls for an auto so hopefully I can get most of the way through the rev range...

• 4 months later...

hey tuners, got a real noob question for ya... cars been tuned on bp98. am i putting car at any risk (or compromising fuel economy/performance/longevity of motor?) by using mobil 98? only asking because none of my regular commutes go past a bp station with 98 in it whereas i live within 5 mins of a mobil. why i had the tune done on bp? can't recall, didn't do enough research, think i heard from someone that it was supposedly better than the other but don't they both have the same minimum 98 RON then some additives?

14 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

hey tuners, got a real noob question for ya... cars been tuned on bp98. am i putting car at any risk (or compromising fuel economy/performance/longevity of motor?) by using mobil 98? only asking because none of my regular commutes go past a bp station with 98 in it whereas i live within 5 mins of a mobil. why i had the tune done on bp? can't recall, didn't do enough research, think i heard from someone that it was supposedly better than the other but don't they both have the same minimum 98 RON then some additives?

Mobil 98 has ethanol in it which should help lower combustion Temps. It will run a tiny bit leaner but nothing to worry about if tune is good. Mobil 98 should cause no issues

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dairusire said:

I thought it was gull 98 that runs ethanol in it, or does Mobil do that too? Not meaning to contest you, just curious.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I'm not 100 percent sure as I live in the south island where there is only bp 98. I have been told by multiple people that Mobil is ethanol blended 

sweet i may give it a crack and see how it goes, just a tad more convenient to get where i live :) haven't seen it advertised to contain ethanol locally but have also heard of this from few people around lower north island. i see we now have the mobil "synergy+" for 98 which is replacing the old mobil 8000 supreme so this could well be the ethanol blend rolling out to Auckland. i'll ask on the Mobil FB page and see if i can find out

The 99 GTB can be tuning I believe using EcuTek. Using ecuflash, no!

That year GTB uses the JECS ECU written on the box. Just double check. Otherwise, you would have try converting over to the 2001 year using the Denso ECU. Or you could install the LINK G4+ or another EMS to run it. Have a quick read here -http://xtremeracingtuning.com/2017/04/17/emspowertrain-review-thoughts/

If you are going with EMS after your long thoughts, you can look into a Powertrain solution as highlighted in that post to help you determine what you can use. But remember, any proper solution beyond the OEM will be a little costly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Struggling away as always, purchased ECUEdit last week to have a go on and will crack into testing stuff out once my Tactrix returns.

Did come across a fairly decent writeup on Subaru tuning and a really basic way of starting off. Faily wordy but there aren't many decent sources out there that break it all down 

https://sites.google.com/site/asubienewbietuningguide/ver-1-0

• Like 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, west_minist said:

What happened?

That's a fantastic question, to which I'd like the answer. The tuner believes it to be a trigger problem. However, I've since had all my engines triggers (crank, cam angle etc) all tested and they're good. 

Meanwhile I've got a different point of view from others which point it in another direction. Being vague as I don't want to point fingers as I don't 100% know yet and it's extremely hard to tell :/

photos of my motor here. 

Also for reference. That was a newly built motor with at most 4500km on it.