Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2.0 to 2.2. How do you do it?

Putting a 2.5L crank into a 2L block gives you a 2.1 stroker.

Too get to 2.2L using a 2L block you\'d need to bore and sleeve to fit bigger pistons.

Too build a stroker, pistons and crank are the main things that need to be changed. Rods depends on which crank, and if the pistons are phase 1 or phase 2 (to suit the heads). Some of the stroker pistons require sleeves in the bores as you have to remove the inspection holes otherwise the oil rings pass over the holes.

It\'s generally easier to build a 2.5L engine.

Putting a 2.5 crank into a 2.0 block sounds like a quick and easy option to get a bit more. I\'ve been looking for a 2.2 block, but they are quite hard to come across. One is on trademe, but he want $600 for it! Seems expensive... My original idea was to just get a 2.2 block, get a new crank from subaru, some 0.5 oversize forged pistons and some good H rods, put it all back together and chuck 20 pounds down it! haha! All just dreams at the moment... I have a blown V4 coupe in my garage, and are just looking at options. Could be cheaper/easier just getting a closed deck 2.0, rebuild that (maybe a 2.5 crank?), putting the V4 STI heads on it, and drive it do you think?

Wow, that is an epic thread indeed. Might have to read again at a decent time of day to take it all in again! Hadn\'t even heard of a 2.35 block! That sounds like one heck of an engine... I think the things i got from that is, all depends how much you want to spend. If i want to get a 2.2 engine, the best way to go is a factory 2.2 block, rebuild it with just some forged pistons and rods, and use my STI heads on it. Now correct me if i\'m wrong, but is the V4 crank a rear thrust? V5 was center? So i should be good getting a 2.5 crank from an old 250t, using factory rods, and maybe splashing out on some forged pistons? That sounds like a good build project on a budget... I understand power gains would be minimal, and loose a bit of power up top, but it would be something just a bit different... If anyone knows of parts going, or a straight engine that i can use right now ;D , let me know!

WRX 2.0 said:

Wow, that is an epic thread indeed. Might have to read again at a decent time of day to take it all in again! Hadn\'t even heard of a 2.35 block! That sounds like one heck of an engine... I think the things i got from that is, all depends how much you want to spend. If i want to get a 2.2 engine, the best way to go is a factory 2.2 block, rebuild it with just some forged pistons and rods, and use my STI heads on it. Now correct me if i\'m wrong, but is the V4 crank a rear thrust? V5 was center? So i should be good getting a 2.5 crank from an old 250t, using factory rods, and maybe splashing out on some forged pistons? That sounds like a good build project on a budget... I understand power gains would be minimal, and loose a bit of power up top, but it would be something just a bit different... If anyone knows of parts going, or a straight engine that i can use right now ;D , let me know!

Crank wise, v4 was centre. Not sure when Subaru changed, v7 maybe?

the 250t crank (phase1 2.5 crank) is a center thrust and also has 48mm journals so you cant use it .

edit (you might be able to but I dont know of a combo that works)

ej257 cranks (phase 2 2.5 crank) are rear thrust and have a 52mm journal .

these match ej20 rods

rex-leggy said:

the 250t crank (phase1 2.5 crank) is a center thrust and also has 48mm journals so you cant use it .

ej257 cranks (phase 2 2.5 crank) are rear thrust and have a 52mm journal .

these match ej20 rods

There\'s two companies that offer 48mm rods for the 2.1 stroker. But also depends on what pistons are chosen as the rod lengths are different to suit different crown to pin heights.

Koom said:

If you want to build a half decent engine on a budget, just buy a factory ej25 shortblock and put your heads on that.

this is by far the easiest or stay ej20 .

really as soon as you walk away from the standard engines the budget will rise.

rex-leggy']

[quote name='Koom said:

If you want to build a half decent engine on a budget, just buy a factory ej25 shortblock and put your heads on that.

/quote]

this is by far the easiest or stay ej20 .

really as soon as you walk away from the standard engines the budget will rise.

Just look at what RAC pulled out of that EJ257 with V3 STI heads not even deshrouded. Interesting study that.

So I can\'t use the early 250t crank just because of journal size? Is that the rod journals or main journals, because if it was rod, I would need new rods and pistons then huh? Need a EJ 257 and then machine block for new crank? That does sound like a lot of work... Well, something beyond my skills anyway. Does Koom work at RDL?

a ej257 crank will plop strait in a rear thrust block. the likes of a v7sti block or newer. yes with the 250t crank the big end journal size is the difference.

ive ised a ej22 block for a 2.35 and now im using a closed deck block and sleveing it for another 2.35

getting any block machined for rear thrust isnt that bigger job. ive done 2 and ist around $$200ish

Awesome, sounds like you know what you\'re doing! I think I will try find an old 2.2 block first up, but if I can\'t, I think I will have to look at machining the block to take a EJ 257 crank a bit more. I imagine they\'re a similar price from subaru as a 2.0 crank. It sounds like an interesting project. And I can just use the factory rods, with a possibility of full forged pistons if budget allows... I don\'t think I could afford a full EJ 257 block. If I could though, then yeah, just swap heads as mentioned earlier, a whole lot easier by the sounds of it.

Revs are good, but that seems to be when I blow up...! JE STROKER SERIES pistons, 0.5 oversize, $800 NZD. Says not compatible with OEM rods, need to machine above pin end to clear under crown of piston. That doesn\'t sound safe... New rods to suit would have to be the go. I\'ll keep an eye out for an old 2.2 block. Parts would be a lot easier to source too...