Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fitting cruise control

richnorm

OK, getting way out of my depth here but noticed there is no relay in the Stop Lamp relay slot. Could this be the problem? Are those spare relays inside the car next to the spare fuses?! Are they all the same?! I took a couple of photos but my computer skills are on a par with auto electrical knowledge!

richnorm said:

OK, getting way out of my depth here but noticed there is no relay in the Stop Lamp relay slot. Could this be the problem? Are those spare relays inside the car next to the spare fuses?! Are they all the same?! I took a couple of photos but my computer skills are on a par with auto electrical knowledge!

Quite possibly. Most 12v Relays are the same, just 4 Pins with on/off. Definitely worth a shot.

For Pics:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,147.0.html

Edit: That missing Stop Relay, could be to Power Off the CC when you hit the Brakes. Then Steering wheel button to power up again. (set/reset)

richnorm said:

Ok, need to open a photobucket account. Do you think those are spare relays inside the car or used for something?

They will be used.

Try the 2 missing Fuses first (7.5a).

Then maybe a Relay from a wreckers? If you just swap one over you might loose ABS or something else.

OK, not giving up just yet. Found a workshop manual for 2010 Legacy online with lots of CC diagnostic information, codes etc. Should be very similar to the Exiga. Tomorrow am off to SuperCheap Auto Kelston to see a very keen young guy with the skills to use the diagnostic tool.

No joy with Supercheap so ordering the cable to use FreeSSM. I have noticed my switches have 5 wires instead of the 3 in the wiring diagrams of Legacy/Outback and an 8 pin plug rather than 10 or 12. Why would that be? Since the cruise button activates the cruise light I\'m wondering if the wire(s) for set need to be moved.

• 2 weeks later...
 gotasuby said:

The ecu has to be programmed to have cruise control. You can check if it is with freeSSM

OK, figured out the wiring and the OBD II cable arrived. I got the engine diagnostic going but not the transmission diagnostic. Seems cruise control is there ("Integrated Cruise Control" has a green tick and Cruise Control status is "ON"). Also the ECU gets a correct signal from each of the cruise control buttons when I press them. I am getting a signal from the Stop light switch but Brake switch is permanently "ON" so maybe I have the wrong brake switch (mine has 2 wires) or it is not wired to the ECU. Did have a few software issues so will try again on the road.

Rosssub']

Brake Switch - Does your Brake Switch Loom Plug have 2 or 3 Pins?

[quote name='richnorm said:

I am getting a signal from the Stop light switch but Brake switch is permanently "ON" so maybe I have the wrong brake switch (mine has 2 wires) or it is not wired to the ECU.

Bottom of pic is the cruise control brake/stop switch (looks like maybe 4 pin). In my BH5 wiring for CC, 3 wires go straight to the CC module, the 4th wire is 12v feed from fuse #10:

img]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb62/stillbokes/DSC01581-edit.jpg[/img]

Thanks Ross, that\'s helpful, I will have to spend some more time upside-down in the drivers seat! Suspect the wiring is not there and in the absence of confirmation that the brake is not on the CC system is disabled. Would be nice if I could see a couple of extra wires tucked away.

richnorm said:

No joy with Supercheap so ordering the cable to use FreeSSM. I have noticed my switches have 5 wires instead of the 3 in the wiring diagrams of Legacy/Outback and an 8 pin plug rather than 10 or 12. Why would that be? Since the cruise button activates the cruise light I\'m wondering if the wire(s) for set need to be moved.

My BH5 also has 5 CC switch wires. Page 4201 of this manual:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,40353.0.html

Rosssub']

[quote name='richnorm said:

/quote]

My BH5 also has 5 CC switch wires. Page 4201 of this manual:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,40353.0.html

I got lucky as the buttons came with the correct 8 pin connector (some have 10 or 12) and seem to be in the right locations. I think one wire is horn and two are for lighting up the buttons. The other 3 are for the CC.

Had a quick look again. There is a spare 4 pin connector taped to the loom where the stop light switch wires exit. It has four wires. Two are the same colours as the 2 pin stop switch connector and the other two are the same colour and position as indicated in the cruise control wiring diagram for a 2010 Legacy. Maybe I just need to replace with a four pin brake/stop light switch and hook up this connector instead? Could this damage my ECU?!! Could I check connection to ECU another way?

Here\'s a pic of the unused connector whioch has enough wire to reach the brake switch:

IMG_5975.jpg?t=1398735671

Using FreeSSm whilst driving confirms there is a brake switch error (permanently "ON") but not a stop light problem.