Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fitting cruise control

richnorm

On 22/11/2015 at 9:50 PM, sobanoodle said:

Most likely that's the case, looks like higher spec GT and 3.0 all have the needed plug in place. I know 5th gen Legacies and 4th gen push start button 07+ models require a bit of wiring to do, not as straight forward as plug and play.

Shouldn't take long to find, mine was taped to the 3pin plug.

Hi Sobanoodle, 

I have a 5th Gen Legacy GT and I really want to install CC in it. I see you mention that it's not as easy as plug in play for the 5th gens. Any chance you know of a guide for my car? I have been unable to find one, only 4th gen and different models.. 

I'm planning on buying the OEM steering wheel buttons but unsure what else I'd need

On 05/11/2018 at 11:59 AM, murraypretorius said:

Hi Sobanoodle, 

I have a 5th Gen Legacy GT and I really want to install CC in it. I see you mention that it's not as easy as plug in play for the 5th gens. Any chance you know of a guide for my car? I have been unable to find one, only 4th gen and different models.. 

I'm planning on buying the OEM steering wheel buttons but unsure what else I'd need

Similar to the late 4th gens - won't be a straight retrofit and you will need to run a few wires for the ECU. Definitely been done, google is your friend.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 9:20 PM, sobanoodle said:

Similar to the late 4th gens - won't be a straight retrofit and you will need to run a few wires for the ECU. Definitely been done, google is your friend.

Thanks for the advice. Yes mine seems similar to the 2010 Exiga done earlier in this thread. I found the wiring diagrams and seems pretty straight forward to add the 2 wires to the ECU, but I can't for the life of me find anything as to what pins I need to add wires to the ECU or what specific 4pin brake switch I need... I found this one but it seems like a female and I'm assuming I'll need a male plug as well? https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=83370AA001

Sorry I'm very new to modding and not always sure what I need... 

On 5/1/2014 at 5:28 PM, richnorm said:

OK then, I will write up here! I think this would work on any car with an electronic throttle (all Subarus since about 2004?)

So, my 2010 Exiga (CVT version) didn\'t have cruise control and Subaru plus a few sparkies told me it was too hard to retrofit. Subaru even very kindly contacted the head office in Japan for me. But this wasn\'t the answer I wanted so I got hold of the workshop manual for a 2010 Legacy/Outback from the net (together with a couple of viruses!) These two pages were encouraging:

IMG_5987.jpg?t=1398897084

IMG_5988.jpg?t=1398897110

Two bits were missing from my car. The CC buttons and the brake switch. It took me a while to realise the brake switch is not the same as the stoplight switch. The brake switch only has a use for CC and is combined with the stop light switch. The way to tell the difference is by looking at the number of pins (2 or 4). Here\'s the original 2 pin which I replaced:

IMG_5985.jpg

Wife\'s calling for dinner, to be continued...

Hi Richnorm, I know this post is ancient and it is so super helpful. I was just wondering if you could help me out with one thing.

I'm about to do my 2010 legacy and the process seems exactly the same as yours. But I am having a lot of problems figuring out exactly which brake switch to get. Also, the brake switch you got is the one I can find online, but I also only have a 2pin plug (male) that goes into it. Any chance you know which 4pin male plug I need to buy?

This is what I found online but no luck finding the plug that goes into this one: https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=83370AA001

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have  a 5th Gen Legacy GT and have been trying to get Cruise Control to work. i have fitted the new buttons and four post break switch, wired into the ECU. But still no luck.

Could it be that my ECU is not enabled to do this? I have brought one of the cheap ecu contention cables to run FreeSSM, would this be able to tell me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • Subscribed Member

Similar issue to @GregNZ here, 

I have just installed the switches in the STI, and checked and it already has the 4 pole brake/stop switch:

AE6Fad4.jpg?1

Trying to connect my laptop to the ECU with FreeSSM, but so far no luck in connecting, but I suspect that will tell me why it's not working.

For rerence this is a Manual 2011 STI with push button start.

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Technikhaus said:

I've got a Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 Rev H, and a few random bluetooth adaptors. 
FreeSSM doesn't pick up a Serial port when I connect the Tactrix, but RomRaider will connect to the ECU.

I get the feeling the later ones won't really work with FreeSSM as they use the CAN connection to read from the ECU rather than serial as you've said. Can't imagine FreeSSM will show you anything the others won't be able to see?

• Subscribed Member
1 minute ago, Andy_Mac said:

I get the feeling the later ones won't really work with FreeSSM as they use the CAN connection to read from the ECU rather than serial as you've said. Can't imagine FreeSSM will show you anything the others won't be able to see?

I've never used the others very much, only to disable the air pump. 
I believe FreeSSM has a menu about cruise control that's all.

21 hours ago, Technikhaus said:

I've never used the others very much, only to disable the air pump. 
I believe FreeSSM has a menu about cruise control that's all.

Only reason I used FreeSSM when installing cruise was to check my ECU supported cruise control, for Legacy/Outback only certain trim levels include support for cruise. 

If you connect RomRaider logger and look at the Switches tab are the state of any of the cruise buttons shown ?  This could be a clue that the ECU knows about CC.

• Subscribed Member
3 minutes ago, ajayel said:

Only reason I used FreeSSM when installing cruise was to check my ECU supported cruise control, for Legacy/Outback only certain trim levels include support for cruise. 

If you connect RomRaider logger and look at the Switches tab are the state of any of the cruise buttons shown ?  This could be a clue that the ECU knows about CC.

Ahh cool thanks, I'll take a look at lunch and see what it says!

14 hours ago, Technikhaus said:

Finally got it all connecting!
I see there are no options to view the state of cruise control buttons though, so I assume this means the ECU isn't setup for CC?

Not necessarily, the ECU mightn't report on that module until it's enabled. Wish I could remember if my car reported these switches to romraider prior to installing but don't recall. However the dashboard cruise light was dead (even at lamp test) until I added the steering wheel CC buttons and then cruise only worked for me after wiring the 4 pin stop/brake switch back to the ECU.  It's more interesting that your wiring harness already has the 4 pin stop/brake light switch installed so it could be just the steering wheel controls required.   Can you see an unlit cruise lamp on your dashboard ?  EDIT: My '07 doesn't have a camera but I wonder if newer models such as your '11 expect the EyeSight camera to be installed for CC

• Subscribed Member

Yeah I'm thinking we have all the hardware now, I just suspect this ECU was never used in a car with CC. 
Wonder (not going to try), if you could take the firmware from one with CC and flash the ECU with that.

14 hours ago, ajayel said:

Not necessarily, the ECU mightn't report on that module until it's enabled. Wish I could remember if my car reported these switches to romraider prior to installing but don't recall. However the dashboard cruise light was dead (even at lamp test) until I added the steering wheel CC buttons and then cruise only worked for me after wiring the 4 pin stop/brake switch back to the ECU.  It's more interesting that your wiring harness already has the 4 pin stop/brake light switch installed so it could be just the steering wheel controls required.   Can you see an unlit cruise lamp on your dashboard ?  EDIT: My '07 doesn't have a camera but I wonder if newer models such as your '11 expect the EyeSight camera to be installed for CC

Already have the steering controls installed, put them in the other week. 
Yeah I was surprised to see the 4 pin switch too...

that's possible actually, regarding EyeSight, although did they ever have that on this gen STI?

• Admin

Don't think it'll be in the ROM though you could try. Most years only have one for manual transmissions anyway.

What is the CAL ID for your ECU? Mine for some reason uses the 2012 one as there doesn't seem to be a 2010 or 2011 one available.

• Subscribed Member
6 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Don't think it'll be in the ROM though you could try. Most years only have one for manual transmissions anyway.

What is the CAL ID for your ECU? Mine for some reason uses the 2012 one as there doesn't seem to be a 2010 or 2011 one available.

2012 here as well, probably the exact same ROM as yours?

ROM.PNG

• Subscribed Member
2 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

@Technikhaus yea that's the same as my one. 

SSM3 looks to be able to install programmable modules which I reckon is what is missing.

http://blog.obdii365.com/2019/06/26/freessm-vs-ssm-3-vs-ssm-4-subaru-select-monitor/

Interesting, a shame I have no tools that'll appear to work with that :(

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Technikhaus said:

Interesting, a shame I have no tools that'll appear to work with that :(

Even the dodgy Chinesey one that sites lists is still $299, assuming USD. Think a trip to a Subaru dealer for at least a discussion might be the best way to go.

• Subscribed Member

Even the dodgy Chinesey one that sites lists is still $299, assuming USD. Think a trip to a Subaru dealer for at least a discussion might be the best way to go.

Yeah, if I had a good local dealer i totally would, but mine's pretty crappy, so might have to take a pass then!

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Technikhaus said:

Yeah, if I had a good local dealer i totally would, but mine's pretty crappy, so might have to take a pass then!

Might be able to find someone with the knowledge elsewhere that can at least confirm whether this is the right track to be on.

Think I saw a post a little while back on FB where An Lal (can't think of what his username is on here) said he could sort it out for someone who added the controls as we have done.

• Subscribed Member

Might be able to find someone with the knowledge elsewhere that can at least confirm whether this is the right track to be on.

Think I saw a post a little while back on FB where An Lal (can't think of what his username is on here) said he could sort it out for someone who added the controls as we have done.

Yeah that's not a bad idea, do you know which group/page that was on? 

Half the Subaru pages are just for-sale groups now, which is annoying. Guessing maybe NZ Subaru Enthusiasts? 

Might have to put a post up somewhere.