Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Leone Height Adjustable Shocks, NEED INFO.

taylerreed94

Hi all brought myself a 86 EA82T Turbo to muck sound in. It needs new shocks so here is my question,

Are my shocks feeling rubbish because there's very little fluid in the system,

What fluid does it use? My dad thinks auto trans fluid or something?

Over time it slowly drops back to the low setting like there's a valve broken in the system somewhere, anyone have any info of where this could be or what might be causing it?

And if I want to lower it, because in my opinion it handles like a whale, and I never off road, what are my options? Compressed springs? Shorter shocks?

Any info widely appreciated, the things done some kms but is very tidy, so for the $1100 I paid for it it's worth spending money getting some pedigree back.

Cheers

The question I have is it the air or the hydraulic set up as they came with both, if it is air then you are screwed really, if hydraulic then not so screwed but still pretty screwed as parts/info are pretty much non existent, saying that I have a full hydro set up in my shed which was going to be put into my RX one day.

Lowering it is pretty much a custom job as with me searching for years there is no one who does lowered springs for them(can raised one though) so you will need to get springs compressed and struts shortened.My idea was to get the hydos shortened so on low it is legal but if I needed a couple of extra inches then I could pump them up.

You can use ATF in them BUT I would use proper Hydraulic oil ( like excavators use)

Yeah, car is hydraulic which is a small relief. My intentions were the same, have it low but useable on low setting but able to go up for a steep driveway or something. Do either of you have any detailed knowledge of it, where valves in it that might be broken could be located. I think there's a leak somewhere in the system, so I might re bleed the whole thing this weekend to try get it functioning better, if that goes well I'll get a compressed set of shocks.

I'd love to find a diagram of the system but the current extent of my knowledge comes from a Haynes manual that has nothing about injected models in it. That an what the internet told me which is not a lot.

there is NO and I mean NO information out there on them, I have seen one setup in a Leone wagon ( skier special I believe it was branded)

mines in a million bits so I can look it over and see if I can figure out how it all works,it has hard lines from the front to the back, and flexi from these to the struts ( they look like brake lines)if you have a leak then that would explain them going down and losing fluid

Yep hard lines to the strut tops, then brake looking hoses to act as a flex point from there into the strut. I'll rebelled the system after I park it over a few bits of newspaper and see if there's an obvious leak, hopefully the rebelled helps. If it's leaking or there's a bung valve, that isn't seating and allowing reverse flow then hopefully it'll be all good.

I'm assuming valve or leak due to it going down slowly over time....

taylerreed94 said:
Yep hard lines to the strut tops, then brake looking hoses to act as a flex point from there into the strut. I'll rebelled the system after I park it over a few bits of newspaper and see if there's an obvious leak, hopefully the rebelled helps. If it's leaking or there's a bung valve, that isn't seating and allowing reverse flow then hopefully it'll be all good.

I'm assuming valve or leak due to it going down slowly over time....

Thats what she said :)

well I have bad news and worse news

Just looked thru my parts catalogue and workshop manuals and neither mention the Hydraulic Suspension so even going to Subaru for parts maybe be a dead end

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Or you could learn japanese; take a trip to japan; see subaru HQ; talk to the subaru heritage team, and ask them about the engineers who built the shocks, and create an epic journey about re-building 80's subaru stock hydraulic suspension. also; video document it and make it a TV series.

proft?

That sounds fantastic, unfortunately after 4 years of languages at high school I can tell you I'd have no hope in japan, I can't understand jack-all...

On the right rear shock I found slight oily residue so I think that may be my leak point and it's just lost enough fluid overtime to be rubbish now. After I cracked the banjo bolt on he front strut it had even less pressure in the system and will bottom the shock out over even the slightest bump. So I think I'll have a crack at re bleeding the system and see if that helps it. Now to find the type of fluid...