• Announcements

• ClubSUB.org.nz

Mega Meet 2018 OUR 21st!   09/04/18

We're turning 21! And we're celebrating on the weekend of the 12th & 13th of May 2018   Come join us Saturday and Sunday events including a FREE Lunch @ the Tui Brewery, Mangatanoka, for Subscribed forum members   A cruise after to the Karting Venue in Palmerston North   Following that Sunday is a Playday on Track event @ Manfeild    Join us for any one or ALL of the events & help get together to celebrate NZ's Largest & oldest online Subaru Community! ~ Joker
  • Current Donation Goals

loner

Repco/BNT or Genuine for steering rack end and tie rod end?

18 posts in this topic

Is the quality vs price going to make going Genuine a good idea?

For my race car that I biffed into a bank recently :(

Anyone know what the cost of the Subaru rack end and tie rod end is likely to be?

Just buy something japanese not chinese but should be fine either way. Only issues Ive seen were a bunch of hilux ones incorrectly machined. I would go with autolign or partmaster over repco/supercheap.

Yeah the problem with that is that nothing is Japanese unless you go genuine.

I'll go into Subaru tomorrow... the main problem with them is that you have to

wait so bloody long for everything.

Gmb is jap isnt it? Mate wanted a gen cv boot for an evo other day mitzi dont even bring them in.

GMB? What/where?

Subaru don't do CVs... not sure about boots... if you want to replace a CV you need to buy a whole new drive shaft.

Yes GMB appear to be Japanese... where do you get GMB parts? Every time I've asked at BNT if they have Jap parts they look at me like I'm insane.

Partmaster for gmb. Yea best of luck with any autoparts lad anywhere most people with half a brain went to commercial years ago.

I have an EJ20 GMB new water pump here, brought through an Autolign/BNT supplier. Box and part says made in Japan.

I rang around some places today... asking about Tie Rod Ends and Steering Rack Ends... not much luck in getting Jap stuff.

BNT can't do GMB, their parts were "555" and "Central" whatever that means. TRE $34+GST, SRE $29+GST

Partmaster can't do GMB, their parts are "unbranded" and "JW". TRE $43+GST, SRE $29+GST

Repco can't do GMB, their parts are Silverline and TRW. TRE $35+GST, SRE $40+GST

Subaru TRE $134 inc, SRE $124 inc.

Trust me go genuine. We used crap aftermarket joints on rally car and they would last half a day. Genuine last 4 or 5 days rallying. For better. Aftermarket is down right dangerous for racing

New genuine parts arrived today... minus locking washer and bolts etc... which are all separate purchases... out of Auckland again. useless.

Are the inner tie rods interchangeable through the years? I might have this wrong but it looks like they might be up until 2008ish? I have an early 2000s era STi rack here that is going into the coupe and I'm planning on doing a partsouq run for inner and outer. I'm assuming all the outers are the same through the years. Anyone have part numbers?

I've got 023212010 for the castle nuts, 31232GA082 for the boots, and 34161SA001 for the rack ends.

4 hours ago, GC8E2DD said:

Are the inner tie rods interchangeable through the years? I might have this wrong but it looks like they might be up until 2008ish? I have an early 2000s era STi rack here that is going into the coupe and I'm planning on doing a partsouq run for inner and outer. I'm assuming all the outers are the same through the years. Anyone have part numbers?

The v7 on- sedan has a longer inner rack end to suit the wider track width. If you coupe is still factory track width then the normal v7 sti rack end will probably be too long. I would say you will need a wrx or sti wagon rack end as they are shorter.

the only thing I don't know is if classics and v7 have the same outer thread so you should double check that.

The wrx wagon and sti sedan all use the same inner and outer thread. (At least in v7 they do)

As Boon discovered years ago, make sure to order the lock washers too as it is not included and is often damaged when you remove the rack end.

34160FE000 is the part # for the stock v7 sti rack end that will probably be too long.

Typed on mobile in a hurry, hope it made sense.

1 person likes this

What's the lock washer part number?

31238GA050 off partsouq for a v3

20 hours ago, GC8E2DD said:

What's the lock washer part number?

Sorry I don't have it since I forgot to get them and had to reuse the old ones. I wouldn't recommend reusing though since they were messed up.

Probably could find it on partsouq? I think the rack ends are on their own seperate diagram.