Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BE5 Questions...

B4 I was 250T

So I have a few questions that may need some of the more experienced guys experience. So here goes:

When I've started the car the last 3 times it's let out a big puff of smoke which has then disappeared. Smoke is whitish in colour. In saying this my positive battery terminal often moves and car won't start so I give it a wiggle, hear a noise and start the car. Wondering if this has something to do with it??

Next question. Have been told idle vacuum in the BE5 is -20 for a healthy engine? Once she's warmed up she sits at -19.5 to -20 so is this good? Boost gauge is an Autometer Cobalt II gauge. Also, off boost the gauge needle is dropping to -24. Is this normal? And finally, have noticed that when on full boost with both turbs spinning (seat of pants meter) the gauge doesn't seem to show more than 12 psi. Sure this isn't normal as she's fair hauling ass by this stage. Any help/advice/info much appreciated. Oh, have recently put Subaru upper engine cleaner through her as well if that's important :)

P.S do BE Legacys run on a 12V system with a negative chassis?

Edited by B4 I was 250T

The white smoke is more than likely steam, from built up condensation. Guessing it's parked outside in the cold. As the hot exhaust cools down it attracts moisture and water droplets form inside the exhaust. It should burn off completely as the car warms up.

Yip 18-20 vac sounds right, off boost vac might be slightly different because the throttle is half open/cruise speeds. Or deceleration load etc.

Single boost is normally around 12psi, twin should be 15psi. You could have a gunked up boost solenoid, blocked muffler, boost leak etc or maybe a tired turbo? Unless the gauge is faulty, could be worth trying a spare?

12v negative earth. (DC)

Ross, you are a legend! I owe you a bottle of something! If you ever come over let me know and I'll buy ya something. Thought it might have been condensation but was a relatively warm day here today so wasn't sure. Sweet too hear about there vacuum. Too ungunge boost solenoid is it BBOD or the one in the left guard? The gauge is brand new so I'm hoping it's not that lol :D And thanks for the current thing :)

Sweet, no worries Man. Yeah white smoke will be condensation, (steam).

If it was blug/greyish smoke or smelled like sweet oil it could be a worn turbo bearing seeping oil into the downpipe over night, then burning off on start up.

A car won't make a big puff of smoke on startup from condensation alone - let it warm up for a minute and get some heat in the exhaust then sure, but not like an instant "poof" of it

That's more of an actual problem

A puff at start up would point me towards > oil

My forged type R did it most times you started it (apparently to do with ring clearances) (was a bluey white colour and def smelt like oil)

-

My current rex - sometimes on startup will have steam from the exhaust for 30sec or so - or by the time I get out of my street its stopped (obviously looks like steam and smells like steam (not sweet coolant smell))

Marky said:
A car won't make a big puff of smoke on startup from condensation alone - let it warm up for a minute and get some heat in the exhaust then sure, but not like an instant "poof" of it

That's more of an actual problem

So what might it be? It's literally only in the morning or evening :(

Dunno what hose 3 does, but yeah you need to connect it back up somehow. It has a purpose and now it isn't working (it's a pressurised feed going to... something, ross will know) - and it's a boost leak, albiet a small one

Regarding the smoke thing, it could be absolutely nothing to worry about and just condensation (like you see coming from -every- car on a cold morning or night), or it could be a sign of some form of fluid getting burnt off. It can't get identified via the internet, it could be a cracked ringland letting a liiiiittle bit of oil seep into a cylinder overnight which then burns off quick smart

Or it could be just paranoia due to owning a subaru

Regarding the boost levels, don't lose sleep over 2psi of wiggle room. Is yours manual or auto? What else has been fiddled with? All kinds of things that can mess with it and none of mine ran exactly 14.5psi, it's a "dumb" system which doesn't aim for a certain psi number

Edited by Marky
For the lawls

Thanks Marky. It is the manual version. Will get onto the bbod thingy asap, don't like broken **** lol :D I've checked the 'stick and there's no bubbles on it but the oil is dirty so I'll give her a change and see if that helps. Oh, and just done your hose #10 mod. Damn, my bov is loud as now!! I'm stoked! Really bought back the fun factor! Think it's spooling faster too but hard to tell in round town traffic lol. Thanks again man :)

Hose #3 goes to the 'supercharged pressure relief solenoid #2' inside the BBOD. This is the boost feed for the secondary relief valve, so it has no boost pressure to hold it shut or close it when it needs to. (hose 3 feeds hose 8).