Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ver5 burning oil smell ?

QRAF

I've had the rocker covers changed as i assumed it was that but its since gotten worse and has smoke coming from the scoop when sitting at the lights.

It's getting another look over today from the guy that did the rocker covers just to make sure they aren't leaking.

It's not using oil that i can see but i suspect its the turbo as its coming from that area but its still boosting ok and has no white smoke.

turns out not using genuine rocker cover seals is come back to bite me as it is still seeping but not as bad as before - its also leaking around the turbo as two clamps are missing and the guy assumes its missing the seals as well so he's going to take out the down pipe and replace the clamps and seals and see how it goes.

I'll get a better idea when i go down there it was hard to understand over the phone as its not my lingo.

I'll save and get the rocker covers changed to genuine as well, sigh.

thanks guys its in the shop now getting the clamps and seals changed around the turbo for the oil inlet and outlet plus getting gaskets as well as it just had goo.

while the equal length headers are off he's going to heat wrap the exhuast again and spray it with heat spray paint just to seal it?

• Admin

There's only 2 "clamps" in the turbo oiling arrangement and they're both on the drain which is a low pressure assembly and unlikely to leak even if it didn't have the clips on there. There aren't any seals on the outside of the turbo, unless you mean the copper washers on the turbo oil feed and they shouldn't have been f*cked with in the first place and very rarely spontaneously leak. The only gasket is on the oil drain, and a. it should pretty much never have been removed from the turbo and b. it's low pressure so it shouldn't really leak anyway.

Last of all, wrapping and painting the headers isn't going to do much.

TBH it sounds like your mechanic either doesn't know what he's doing or he's taking you for a ride.

EDIT: Why the f*ck are they taking your headers off anyway?

The oil leak is probably from someone doing a sh!thouse job of your rocker cover gaskets and using non-genuine gaskets. I have never heard of aftermarket rocker cover kits that didn't leak.

all goods all valid points i'm a computer engineer an not a mechanic so could be going for a ride.

he took the extractors(headers) off to put the heat wrap on and to get access to the turbo oil drain/return as it is leaking not much but more so than the rocker covers.

He's going to put a plate over the rocker cover just so if it does drip it'll drip onto the ground not the extractors - and it was my choice to go none genuine and i'm regretting it now.

there was no seals or gaskets the turbo didn't even have all the bolts holding it down so looks to of moved as well.

i'm paying $60 an hour

nah i thought i'd gotten a deal when i had someone put my equal length extractors an they had to replace the downpipe in the process as the heat sheild was rattling with one that didn't have any which i is causing all the issues now - he's just fixing their mistakes.

I was trying to do things on the cheap and paid the price for it now i thought $200 for the gaskets changed was a good deal as it cost $106 for the kit itself he said i should of gone genuine but i wanted to save a 100 dollars not saving it now tho :(

I'm the muppet

I sure did thats why i went for the cheaper option for the rocker cover gaskets as my excess was $1500 as its a highly stolen car and i've had a crash before in my mrs car :(

I've been trying to save for a 240amp for the last 2months now :(