Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What is this humming sound from the back of my car? (with video)

So I'v noticed this sound from the back of my car, sounds like a humming/buzzing/low flying propellor plane kind of noise.

It's most noticeable when driving on smooth asphalt, as there is less road noise to drown it out and is prominent on over run or when slowing coming up to a stop.

It doesn't seem to change when turning, etc and is noticebale once above 20 km/h

Wheel bearing? Diff? Tyres?

I've looked at the tyres and they seem fine, am gonna swap front for rear to see if it changes, but in the mean time, can you look at the video I took and give me you opinion?

Cheers

I'd guess wheel/hub bearings. I have almost the same noise going on, low pitched humming at low speed, more noticeable on smooth surfaces. Hubs are around $170 each.

Like you say try a wheel rotation first, maybe check/change diff fluid too.

What is best to do is really up to you,

If you replace the bearing then you have the piece of mind knowing its brandnew, The downside of this is you have to go without your car while the repair is carried out, Last time i priced a bearing kit for r160 rear was around 110 from bnt, In some cases the bearing moves on the carrier so then you need another hub anyway as the bearing is no longer press fit.

Its a gamble with another secondhand replacement as it could be bent and you wouldn't know till its fitted to the car.. usually the shocks are hard to fit when the hubs bent.. unless the shocks are bent but when they are its usually fairly noticeable)

hijacka said:
What is best to do is really up to you,

If you replace the bearing then you have the piece of mind knowing its brandnew, The downside of this is you have to go without your car while the repair is carried out, Last time i priced a bearing kit for r160 rear was around 110 from bnt, In some cases the bearing moves on the carrier so then you need another hub anyway as the bearing is no longer press fit.

Its a gamble with another secondhand replacement as it could be bent and you wouldn't know till its fitted to the car.. usually the shocks are hard to fit when the hubs bent.. unless the shocks are bent but when they are its usually fairly noticeable)

I've got a hydraulic press at work so was thinking of doing it myself, Is it a mission?

It is abit of a mission aye. most of the time the inner half of the bearing gets stuck on the hub and you need bearing clamps and puller to remove, can apply heat and remove but that option can get messy. What the ton rating on your press at work? i've only got a 10 ton at home i use for small stuff like gearbox bearings and pushing cambelt tensioners back in if needed, theres no way the 10 ton would do it lol, i take the hub off strip it and take it to Geoff Blackler in syd get them to do it.

We have a press frame that our enerpacs bolt into, have a 20 ton and a 50 ton enerpac cylinder, so that's not an issue. But I don't want to get stuck of something goes wrong and then have an out of action car.. Might take the safe route and get a hub haha