Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

LVVTA Madness

boon

• Admin

Ok, here's one for you all...

If you take the entire driveline from a WRX, driveshaft included, and put it in a poo-spec Impreza shell, you are required to install driveshaft hoops. 2 of them, in fact.

Even though the driveshaft is the factory spec item, and nobody ever breaks driveshafts on Subarus anyway, you still have to spend considerable time and money adding utterly pointless protection to an unmodified OEM component.

The justification is that the certifier can't be sure that the correct spec driveshaft has been used, and you could be using the poo-spec shaft, which could somehow fail and somehow do something bad. And it's apparently not good enough for me to say "It's a WRX driveshaft, that came on the car from the factory"

Does this make any sense to anyone? This, among a few others, is typical of some of the ridiculous rules the organisation foists upon us. Their policies seem to come from a background of bearded men assembling 1930's vehicles of dubious construction from off-cut steel in a shed somewhere - the justification above seems completely bonkers.

Personally I think it's absurd that, in order to be road-legal and kosher, we have to comply with a bunch of out-of-touch blanket-rule madness, dictated from on high by a conglomerate of jap-import-hating hot-rodders.

Rant rant rant.

• Admin

Put it this way - applying their logic, if you replace your driveshaft with an identical OEM one, you have to get driveshaft hoops.

In fact, using the same logic, all cars getting a cert should require driveshaft hoops, period.

• General Member

if its identical the use the original Shaft then?

but yea I gettit but what you gunna do, they arent wrong, they are not taking your word for it the new shell is up to the new power

regardless if its the same shape/lower spec or a wild 2jz swap

I think you'll be struggling to find sympathy here

• Admin
 Joker said:
if its identical the use the original Shaft then?

but yea I gettit but what you gunna do, they arent wrong, they are not taking your word for it the new shell is up to the new power

regardless if its the same shape/lower spec or a wild 2jz swap

I think you'll be struggling to find sympathy here

You're missing the point, it has nothing at all to do with the shell.

They're saying that if you take a WRX driveshaft and put it between the same engine, gearbox and diff but in a different but identical shell it suddenly makes the driveshaft unsafe.

well I guess this answers my question, that I definitely need drive shaft hoop for my cf one piece shaft. Despite the fact they do not pogo when they break, just splinter.

Joker said:
soo NA shell is built / welded to 400kw or e3ven OEm 206kw specs? I think not

Before I bought my 'nana spec' 1993 GC4A I spent days at the wreckers counting spot welds and comparing chassis construction by year. The only differences I found between nana models GC*A->C2 and my GC8C2 STI RA where 2 nuts welded to the front bumper (to secure the power steering cooler) and the bolt-on front fender braces (and of course the roof scoop cutout if you want to be picky).

Talking specifically about Classic Impreza, I believe the Model D/E chassis received an update, as did the model F/G with some extra layers of reinforcing in some locations.

Of course I don't have the chassis plans but my point is I am confident a lot of these chassis are infact identical

A catch may be the nana coupe Vs. STI coupe where they supposedly added extra spot welds

anyway the the hoop issue has been discussed here http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?35351-Driveshaft-hoops-blech!

Edited by kamineko