Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V5 heads vs bp5(z20) heads

rawyatt

Hey guys, just after a bit of info regarding some heads I have. Really just want to know which heads are going to be better for me max power wise. First set are v5 sti heads with a mild porting job. Second are factory z20 heads from a bp legacy which have avcs on intake and exhaust. Will be mounted to an ej22 block. If both have equal aftermarket support, which will be better?

ADIKT said:
Pretty sure the legacy avcs is different to the STI's with avcs ?

Version 5 don't have avcs. There problem solved.

I say port the bp/BL heads and make use of AVCS also if you have access to it. Grab the bp/BL sump and oil pickup to make your setup twin scroll.

94 Leone said:
Version 5 don't have avcs. There problem solved.

I say port the bp/BL heads and make use of AVCS also if you have access to it. Grab the bp/BL sump and oil pickup to make your setup twin scroll.

I wasn't saying that.... I was meaning the legacy avcs is different to the stis avcs. I'm aware of what Era avcs exists. Cheers

Cheers for the replys guys. Originally was going to use the v5 heads cause there known to make excellent power but got the z20 heads for free. So have no problem spending some coin on them. The turbo I have is a hx35 twinscroll so was thinking the avcs would work a treat with them but couldn't find any good info on the z20s so was hoping someone here could inform me. I will port and polish them but don't want to waste my time with them if they can't beat the sti heads

• Admin

What size turbine housing on the HX35? Unless you have the rather rare 12cm it's gonna be a bit of a bugger to spool it.

Personally I'd definitely run the AVCS heads. Especially if you're going to port and polish. Might need stiffer valve springs if you're gonna run a heap of boost (>23psi or so) but that's not a big deal.

boon said:
What size turbine housing on the HX35? Unless you have the rather rare 12cm it's gonna be a bit of a bugger to spool it.

Personally I'd definitely run the AVCS heads. Especially if you're going to port and polish. Might need stiffer valve springs if you're gonna run a heap of boost (>23psi or so) but that's not a big deal.

12cm is the most common. I've had all my hx35 with 12cm

What is the shim setup, valve size and ports on Z20 heads? Just make sure you can actually open them up as much as you need and its not cheap even if you got the heads for free. Talking to people who know what theyre on about the exhaust avcs doesnt have a massive effect like intake does. V5/6 sti heads have a pretty sizable port just no avcs which counts for 300-500rpm of spool and combined with T/S it doesnt get a lot better. Also means you need a pretty serious ecu to run dual avcs - Im running single on a V5/6 plug in G4 with wasted spark and Im tapped out.

Id get a set of big port EJ207 single avcs heads and open up the chamber to suit the 22 bore just make sure you get the gasket etc right so c/r and quench are where you want them. Curious to see how my smaller port EJ257 heads go.

Murch was talking about someone setting up a cnc machine for heads a few months ago should ask him but Id rather not know coz for the money he was talking I would really want to do it...

Whats your goal with this build and whats the other mods? Sounds like it has a lot of potential.

awesome evowrx, exactly what i was looking for. Firstly its shim under bucket, no idea on the valve size and ports. will be leaving how much they will be ported to the expert who will be doing it atm, as i dont know much about that side of things at all. any chance a link would be up to the task of dual avcs? dont think il be buying any other heads because if this z20 idea fails, then v5 heads are a definate go. will get hold of murch but the goal with this car is it will be a track/race car, has an ej22 block, these heads, custom twinscroll exhaust, hx35 and all the usual bolt ons. just need to decide on the head im going to use so i can get my a into g haha will create a build thread soon

I was tempted to use the same legy heads when i went g4 but couldnt with plug in. Think extremes the only g4 that would do it and awesome for a race car where you want to monitor more on the fly. Would rather put big cams in avcs heads over nons.

Whats power goal? Keeping it reliable or pushing it?

Will be more tempted to use a wire in link. That was going to be my next big question, can you put aftermarket cams in avcs heads or is it a waste of time? if i use the v5, they will definatly be getting 272 cams or even 282.

Just seems like i would enjoy the difference of having avcs heads over the v5 but i definatly know v5 sti heads are good for some big power. Havent thought too much about a power goal but atleast 320kwatw to be a serious(semi reliable, as far as one can be) race car, then will go from there

yeah getting inserts, maaayyyybbbe sleeves but thats on the wish list. Was hoping to get a cdb but for the price and shipping from the states, couldnt bring myself to do it.

Iv had a few looks on the net but couldnt find anything detailed.