RAYDEO

Head Gaskets - So many choices!

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys and girls, managed a mammoth 1400km in the old girl from Kapiti to Auckland and back and she's been over heating the whole way.

2001 Legacy GTB

Suspected broken head gasket.

Where do you all get gaskets from, and are some better than others?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

As long as you get mls ones they should be good. Obviously genuine is preferred; even with cs discount that'll sit close to 500 in just parts from the dealership. Theres a few on trademe that sell them in kits or as their own. Make sure you choose the right one for your car as different compression ratios with different head gaskets etc. Etc. Stock ecu decides it wants something else and ping ping.

If you can get hold of a engine parts list surely partsouq is your best bet

I'd go with partsouq as well.. just need to get the right part number.

Try http://www.nzgaskets.co.nz/ to try figure out which one you need.. prices also available.

But ring armstrongs or someone so they can give you the Subaru part number.

Dunno if armstrongs would give it out. Tried doing that with the tauranga subaru since their prices were going to bankrupt me and they told me it was company policy to never give out part numbers. Maybe if you're in the trade you'd have a bit more luck though

I just asked for a quote and rattled off the cassis number and the parts I wanted and they emailed me a quote with all the parts and relevant part numbers, this was at Armstrong Subaru, and I was actually surprised at their prices.

Head gaskets

Rocker cover gaskets

Intake gaskets

Exhaust gaskets

Oil filter

full cambelt kit

$1400

For what I would class as full open heart surgery of a 14 year old car approaching 200,000 ks, I don't think it's too bad.

Andy_Mac said:
Dunno if armstrongs would give it out. Tried doing that with the tauranga subaru since their prices were going to bankrupt me and they told me it was company policy to never give out part numbers. Maybe if you're in the trade you'd have a bit more luck though

I always ask for a catalog of parts and the part number but they never give it away...

However, I was able to find this page which has a pretty comprehensive part numbers catalog (with diagrams): http://jp-carparts.com/subaru/carlist.php?maker=subaru

Haven't bought anything from these guys since they haven't replied my inquiries but their catalog is a great tool!