Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Does anyone here have the cable and know-how to reflash ECU's?

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 Impreza S-GT, 5 speed manual. I am looking to get the stock ECU remapped to squeeze as many horses out of it as I can. The car is 100% stock at the moment, and if possible I'd like to keep it that way.

I found a dude in Barbados, who tuned a stock 2008 S-GT and found another 25 ponies all saddled up and nowhere to go. This guy does it through email, but I'd much rather have someone local play around with my ECU. Does anyone have any ideas where/how I can get this done?

Cheers!

Edited by Thr33Swords

You can get the cable through www.evoscan.com you would need the Openport 2 variant for your model I would say, would imagine its a CAN bus ECU like the Stis are.

Guy down in Hawera, Phil (Dynotech Industries is his business), does good flash tunes, I had my Evo 9 done by him with good results and I hear he gets good results with Subarus as well. Ill be taking my GRB Sti to him sometime, hes well priced as well. Only thing is you have to travel.

Bear in mind the Openport 2 cables are around $400 last I looked and a dyno tune is $800 odd so unless you plan on tinkering yourself in the future just a straight out tune may be more worthwhile. I spent quite a bit of time tinkering with my previous V8 and 9 Stis with opensource tuning, and my Evo 1 with a Link ECU, and with all the time and $$$ in fuel and getting a wideband, etc, I would of been better off just paying someone to tune the cars !

Edited by dimin

• Admin

If you're paying $400 for a tactrix openport cable you're getting majorly ripped.

Mine was around 250nzd direct from the tactrix site and came within a week of the order date.

http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=17&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

If you just want a tune for a stock car you really can't go wrong with e-tuning, truck load cheaper than a dyno one and just as reliable with the right tuner. Need to have alright computer abilities but all the walkthrough's are pretty damn good and guys on here or other forums can walk you through the steps if you get stuck.

Check out

Cryotune on lgt.com and

kido on Liberty.asn.au

Both get very positive results.

Edited by Andy_Mac

Yep, not seen anything from him for a while.

Imho, cheepest way to do it is buy a cable, do some reading and tune yourself. Takes a while, but you'll soon learn what affects what and where to make improvements...

For instance, most people would lean out the fueling map for economy (to a point)

With the subies you can richen it up for boost, lean out your closed loop (say, 15:1 afr) and tweak with tip in enrichment to cope with closed loop / open loop delay

Tl:dr understanding how sometimes less is sooo much more

• 2 weeks later...
 Andy_Mac said:
If you're paying $400 for a tactrix openport cable you're getting majorly ripped.

Mine was around 250nzd direct from the tactrix site and came within a week of the order date.

Yes you are right, $400 odd is a rip ! That was locally through Evoscan.com. I ended up buying one from the Tactrix site as you did, was $259NZD last Monday night, arrived on my door on Thursday lunchtime. Stoked with such quick service !

Now to start having a play with it.

• 2 weeks later...
 Thr33Swords']I found a dude in Barbados, who tuned a stock 2008 S-GT and found another 25 ponies all saddled up and nowhere to go. This guy does it through email, but I'd much rather have someone local play around with my ECU. Does anyone have any ideas where/how I can get this done?

That must be Edward Millington of Xtreme Racing? I haven't seen his tunes myself (and I'm not a professional tuner, so I can't judge) but I've had a number of customers say good things about his services, including people in the UK and the USA.

[quote name='dimin said:

Yes you are right, $400 odd is a rip ! That was locally through Evoscan.com. I ended up buying one from the Tactrix site as you did, was $259NZD last Monday night, arrived on my door on Thursday lunchtime. Stoked with such quick service !

Glad it arrived so quickly. We try to ship out within 24 hours Monday through Friday and FedEx Priority generally gets it anywhere in the world within a few days.

-Mike

Tactrix

• Admin

New guy maybe? Starting to make a good appearance on lgt.com too.

Good to see anyway. Might finally be able to sway those currently intimidated by the software side of the e-tuning process

Edited by Andy_Mac

Andy_Mac']New guy maybe? Starting to make a good appearance on lgt.com too.

Good to see anyway. Might finally be able to sway those currently intimidated by the software side of the e-tuning process

Thanks! I've been trying to find current discussions through google searches and contribute where I can...though I've been having mixed results in Russia :)

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

Holy ****, tactrix staff on our forums?? YUSS!!!!!

Must be a fair bit of interest from NZ then i'm guessing... this is a good thing!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome! We've always had a pretty good user base in New Zealand and Australia.

As a fun fact of Trivia, the owner of Tactrix, Colby, was born in New Zealand while his dad was a visiting professor. Otago area I believe. I myself have spent a fair bit of time in New Zealand. A good friend left New England for a one year work exchange program around 13 years ago and never left. He's now married to a great New Zealand lady and lives in the North Island. I've been out to visit twice for a total of about 7 weeks total and looking forward to my next visit. I've backpacked the Nelson Lakes, Routeburn, Abel Tasman, and Kelper Tracks, biked Otago Rail Trail, climbed Ngauruhoe, hauled mussels out of Marlborough sound, and been out to Milford Sound, and a lot of other lesser traveled corners of you great country. Friendly people, excellent food, and always easy to find a good cup of coffee.

-Mike