Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Another Subaru in the news

philc

loner said:
I bet you didn't have the traction though :P

No traction back then and that is the fundamental difference that i have noticed driving the coupe..

Heaps of grip almost to the point of becoming blase' about it..Then when it does let go things happen rather quickly and can easily catch out less experienced drivers..

Lets find a cure for aids.

ive had my STi let go on me mainly because i was at a multi lane roundabout and was going through, there was a gap so i went and the person from the other side decided they would too so on the brakes I stepped due to the rather hefty amount of rain we had mixed with my meh- kh16's car decided it wanted to slide and lose all the traction. So sideways STi through a wet roundabout to avoid hitting a dumbass driver that pulled out needless to say scared me but by not being a dumbass I managed to power through and straighten up.

Luckily it was relatively low speed like 30ks maybe.

next tyres im getting are not going to be kh16's

Driving a new car is like driving on a floating platform, you don't get any feedback and it can be harder to judge the limits.

Thankful that I grew up on a farm (grandfather taught me to drive) and had cars from the 80s for the first few years of having my license. Having a hefty background in motorbikes and tractors kind of helped. Anyone ever done a 4 wheel slide in a tractor on wet grass down a steep asf hill? That **** is scary.

• Admin
 iphillipnz said:
Anyone ever done a 4 wheel slide in a tractor on wet grass down a steep asf hill? That **** is scary.

Backwards and sideways in a 4wd over a bank is probably worse :S Fill your trouser material

94 Leone said:
tractor has forks or a bucket you can dig in.

Fert spreader truck. When they let go you're just a passenger.

That's ridiculous, digging in the bucket would be just asking for trouble. Best case, keep it as straight as possible and ride it out.

Perhaps if you had a grader on the back you could dig that in but there's no way when your in a slide down a steep hill you would dig a bucket in. It would likely just break the shear pins anyways. Maybe if you just used the bottom of the bucket to create some friction but if it catches on anything then you very likely gonna be worse off.

Edited by iphillipnz

• 2 weeks later...
 94 Leone said:
I'd go to my local car club events- except I work sundays- they are always on sundays...

That and I don't yet have a helmet.

- because of the car I drive and my age; pretty much automatically lumped in with "Boy racers"

If you go to the sealed motokhana style event off pascoe st you dont need to worry about a helmet as the msnz rules its run by you dont need one.

But if you go to one of the Auto X's you will need a helmet. They have thick cotton overalls you can use at the event if you dont have any overalls or the race type. Its always better to bring your own thou! As for a helmet if I am there you could use my Stilo one during the event as cars are numbered & spaced so you can run the rex & use mine. I always use a hood inside my helmet so you dont have to worry about cooties! ;)

Check out the Nelson Car club site. www.nelsoncarclub.co.nz

Theres a Race your Road car event coming in Orion st, off Pascoe st 12th April. Quite a few events coming this year. Im plannin on havin rex ready for June gravel events, maybe Sandy bay sealed event in may if i am lucky!

oh man thats awesome! Most of the ones I see are the grass autoX's being just accepted to the airforce I imagine I will be seeing a fair bit less of nelson.

Overalls are the things I do not need to worry about haha; always plenty of them. I'll try get to one of them before I go off to woodbourne haha.

• General Member
 al said:
We've invited 'boy racers' to club events before and been

a) deafened by the silence of the 99% not turning up and

b) the 1 or 2 that turn up thinking they hav sum skilz, show their skills are not even average, and never turn up again to improve :(

I am super late to this party but I see this a lot. As some of you know I work in Pizza so lots of young guys with nice cars in my line of work, some smart some not so much. I reckon of the 20 or so I have got to go to a track or drag day only 2 have stayed at it the rest went back to probably doing dumb stuff each weekend instead.

You see it on the Facebook groups a lot to, everyones a street racing god but the room goes silent when someone mentions a trackday, everyones "Not quite finished there project" or cars "Not running right" or my personal favorite "If only I had known earlier!" when you have been pushing it for months.

A good portion of those guys who do the stupid crap that tars all the younger guys will never ever consider truly moving to the track. They do the weekend stuff for the thrill of being a bad boy/girl, the sluts and most importantly instant gratification. In this day and age no one waits for anything, so why wait a week or so to go out and hit a track when you can go be a hero this weekend and if you get caught its the Police fault. You go online and find a ready and willing community of asshats waiting to sympathize with you for your stupidity.

****ty world view for sure but it is what it is and its very hard to change.

Johnnynz said:
I am super late to this party but I see this a lot. As some of you know I work in Pizza so lots of young guys with nice cars in my line of work, some smart some not so much. I reckon of the 20 or so I have got to go to a track or drag day only 2 have stayed at it the rest went back to probably doing dumb stuff each weekend instead.

You see it on the Facebook groups a lot to, everyones a street racing god but the room goes silent when someone mentions a trackday, everyones "Not quite finished there project" or cars "Not running right" or my personal favorite "If only I had known earlier!" when you have been pushing it for months.

A good portion of those guys who do the stupid crap that tars all the younger guys will never ever consider truly moving to the track. They do the weekend stuff for the thrill of being a bad boy/girl, the sluts and most importantly instant gratification. In this day and age no one waits for anything, so why wait a week or so to go out and hit a track when you can go be a hero this weekend and if you get caught its the Police fault. You go online and find a ready and willing community of asshats waiting to sympathize with you for your stupidity.

****ty world view for sure but it is what it is and its very hard to change.

^ pretty much sums it up really. sad but true.

I prefer to keep my money in my pocket & the cops outta my life.... ironic really when my father in law is one!